Options

Winter Hill - how far does it go?

2»

Comments

• Options
    kevkev Posts: 21,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There is a coverage map on the uk free tv website (double click on the transmitter map winter hill icon). No idea if it is accurate. Com 7/8 and local TV are also shown but the local map looks a bit iffy.

It certainly is iffy - shows transmitters at my parents we've never detected, and shows the Nottingham local multiplex doesn't cover Nottingham at all (from Waltham) despite it coming through clear as a bell - the Preston map is similarly dodgy too.

The best predictors are the Digital UK one as they actually have access to the data where as ukfree.tv is all guess work.
  • Options
    prawnpowerprawnpower Posts: 68
    Forum Member
    I've read somewhere about someone managing to get a signal from Winter Hill, and they were on the coast of Northern Ireland. :eek:
  • Options
    Mark CMark C Posts: 20,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    prawnpower wrote: »
    I've read somewhere about someone managing to get a signal from Winter Hill, and they were on the coast of Northern Ireland. :eek:

Yes, 'mrdtv' reported it in Post 18 of this very thread !
  • Options
    Anti-StaticAnti-Static Posts: 273
    Forum Member
    kruador wrote: »

The reason the BBC map in your second link is different is, I think, because the BBC had a different idea of what field strength was required for their 'key service area'. It looks like the IBA were willing to accept a lower quality of reception than the BBC were.

Also bear in mind, before DSO, the BBC used separate antennas to the IBA. The BBC antenna was at the very top of the Winter Hill structure and the IBA antennas lower down. They also used a different design of antenna system which may explain the difference in predicted coverage areas.
  • Options
    Mark CMark C Posts: 20,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Also bear in mind, before DSO, the BBC used separate antennas to the IBA. The BBC antenna was at the very top of the Winter Hill structure and the IBA antennas lower down. They also used a different design of antenna system which may explain the difference in predicted coverage areas.

Yes, and odd given the fact it was an IBA site, that the Beeb had the 'top slot' ?
  • Options
    mw963mw963 Posts: 3,082
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wasn't there a discussion about this matter in a "different place" and it was decided that the reason that IBA aerials were generally below BBC UHF ones (at sites where they were split at all) was because the safety regs of the IBA were more strict about climbing through an array that was live (albeit on reduced power) so BBC engineers were able to access their stack with less disruption to IBA services than had the situation been reversed. I've no idea if it's true but it was the best explanation anyone came up with.

Having said that, Belmont was the exception with the IBA aerials atop the mast - maybe because it was their tallest (and therefore flagship) site. That said, did the same apply to the original 1265 ft mast at Emley (where subsequently post 1971 the BBC were again in pride of place).