Need Some advice on DVB-T2 Boxes

colin1951ukcolin1951uk Posts: 15
Forum Member
Hi to all on here,

I'm a newbie to your board (although I've been following it for a few years now) and pleased to be here and should this first post be in the wrong forum perhaps a mod can kick it to the right one for me.

I've got an older sd tv which to date I've been using with either of two TVonics boxes (MDR-240 & 252) to date...but in view of recent developments of putting sd transmissions on Com7 and DVB-T2 I thought I'd try an upgrade to a DVB-T2 box just in case I might miss out any future sd programming going to Com7 or even 8 eventually.

I opted to get a Bush DH2636 from Argos (as I have a store located just five minutes from my front door) and the box gives good picture overall (although what an awful epg!) but on three channels I'm getting strange formatting. Film 4+1, BBC Parliament and BBC RB 301 channels come up as 4:3 when they should be 16:9. I think the box could be faulty as both my Tvonics are acting properly so I'm thinking to return the box and try another

BUT could I do better??

I've been looking around for other boxes (not recorders) but I'm not finding much. I've come across an Icecrypt and what appears to be a Tescoes own brand of box and that's about all.

I haven't got any experience with DVB-T2 as I'm still sd equipped so I was wondering if I can get any advice on here as to what (if any) boxes are available and come recommended.

If there's nothing out there then I might exchange the Bush and pay a bit extra for a recorder but I'm not sure what to choose from the Argos range...the Humax HDR-2000T looks a good option but could I choose a cheaper Bush and still get a decent box I wonder.

So can anyone give me some pointers on what my best bet would be on a DVB-T2 option please?

Cheers...Colin

Comments

• jasonjimbobjasonjimbob Posts: 1,374
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I bought a Icecrypt T2300HD a few months ago, from Tesco's they are reasonbly priced and give excellent sound and picture quality, even though it is designed for HD READY TV sets and to be honest it is a great box, it works on all 8 multiplexes I get from Wenvoe with no problems, I hooked it up to my JVC 29" CRT set via Scart, and it still gives excellent results, even though the HD Channels are downscaled, you can see the difference between HD and SD, almost all of the HD boxes have a scart output so they should work with any TV really. As far as recorders go, don't go for a cheap model, I have had 1 each from Dion and Goodmans and I returned them back to the stores I bought them from as they failed on recordings and had a poor picture or sound output.
  • colin1951ukcolin1951uk Posts: 15
    Forum Member
    Thanks for the response jasonjimbob.

I've just had a look at the Icecrypt T2300HD user manual and it seems pretty identical to my Bush...the setup options/graphics are the same anyway...both have 8 watts max power so it could be the chipsets are the same...it just indicates to me that there's nothing much between the two.

So not much in the way of boxes available then...recorders rule the roost.

I'm just off to Argos now and I'll try another Bush unit. If that still plays up then it must be a software problem (my units software is dated 2012 so it may well need an update which methinks is something Argos don't worry about.)

I'll have a rethink about what to do next if the new unit exhibits similar behavior to the one that's being returned.

Cheers...Colin
  • Tim_BishopTim_Bishop Posts: 64
    Forum Member
    get yourself a youview box from ebay.

they all are DVB-T2 capable, plus if you do decide to connect the box to a broadband connection, you also get the catch-up services free.

and they are getting quite cheap in price too.
    Forum Member
    Hmmm...more food for thought eh.

The Technika STBHDIS2010 looks to be an old box and from the user manual I found isn't the best when it comes to channel settings...for example rather than a favorites list I prefer to move channels into a sensible order like BBC1, BBC2, 3, 4 and so on which the box won't do...also I'm not sure that it can do 4:3 letterbox format which is my preference for aspect ratio...so I think I'd give it a miss.

Youview I did look at but there again I'm finding boxes with drives in and so essentially recorders which I'm trying to avoid. So another last resort I feel.

I've looked further into the Icecrypt T2300HD and it now does look to be a goer...the only thing the manual doesn't make clear to me is the 4:3 letterbox formatting again but I've sent an email to the support people for clarification. If it does do it then I could get one off Ebay for a good price.

Other than the Icecrypt I've found a Humax HD-FOX T2 which again is oldish now but is kept updated software wise and importantly does everything I want. The only thing I don't like about it is the power consumption which @ 23 watts seems a lot for a box without a drive, but I can live with it. Ebay sells them for around £100 or less brand new which seems reasonable to me.

So it's either the Icecrypt or the Humax I feel.

I got my money back on the Bush in the end...I though about trying another one but after remembering that dreadful epg I thought no there must be something better out there.

Anyway thanks for all the input...I'll let you know what I end up with.

Cheers...Colin
  • chrisychrisy Posts: 9,419
    Forum Member
    The Technika STBHDIS2010 looks to be an old box and from the user manual I found isn't the best when it comes to channel settings...for example rather than a favorites list I prefer to move channels into a sensible order like BBC1, BBC2, 3, 4 and so on which the box won't do...also I'm not sure that it can do 4:3 letterbox format which is my preference for aspect ratio...so I think I'd give it a miss.

It is quite old and doesn't support the streamed channels. However, it does support 4:3 letterbox and for the price they can be picked up for they are excellent. However if this is your main receiver I'd recommend getting something which conforms to the latest D-Book and to which the manufacturer is still around to support.
    Forum Member
    jasonjimbob...Can you do me a big favor...if it's not too much trouble can you look at your box setup and tell me if it does 4:3 Letterbox format please.

I put this question to Icecrypyt support on the 7th April and they came back with the answer that it does 4:3 and nothing else. I sent a response straight away saying that I must know if it does letterbox format as the tv it's going to be used with is oldish and it won't show the correct aspect ration of any programme without letterbox formatting. I'm still awaiting a reply and don't think much of their support!

The online manual isn't clear...it does every format in 16:9 but with 4:3 it is somewhat vague of its abilties.

I can get a box on Ebay but they're not cheap (at around a £100) and I'd hate to have to send one back if it can't do what I require.

If you can help me out I'd appreciate it very much.

Thanks...Colin
  • kjhskj75kjhskj75 Posts: 3,001
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The online manual isn't clear...it does every format in 16:9 but with 4:3 it is somewhat vague of its abilties.

The manual says it supports:
    16:9 Auto, 4:3 Auto,16:9 Wide Screen,
    16:9 Pillar box, Pan Scan, Letter Box, 16:9 Pan Scan, 4:3
    Combined, 16:9 Combined, Zoom2, Zoom3 and Zoom4

I don't know what all of these mean, but all the ones you are likely to need are there. With luck the "Auto" ones will work properly with either TV type.

("Pan Scan" and "Letter Box" are both for 4:3 TVs)
  • DWA9ISDWA9IS Posts: 10,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kjhskj75 wrote: »
    The manual says it supports:
    16:9 Auto, 4:3 Auto,16:9 Wide Screen,
    16:9 Pillar box, Pan Scan, Letter Box, 16:9 Pan Scan, 4:3
    Combined, 16:9 Combined, Zoom2, Zoom3 and Zoom4

I don't know what all of these mean, but all the ones you are likely to need are there. With luck the "Auto" ones will work properly with either TV type.

("Pan Scan" and "Letter Box" are both for 4:3 TVs)

WOW thats a comprehensive list! I wish all boxes did that!
  • artyclartyartyclarty Posts: 50
    Forum Member
    I know this might sound a bit odd to suggest, but in all honesty I don't think it is worth purchasing a DVB-T2 box to use with your CRT.

Have you considered, saving up a little while and instead of buying a box, buy a whole tv with an inbuilt T2 tuner? The reason I say this as you do seem to be concerned with your power consumption (my 5 year old 32" LG lcd uses 150w compared to the 300W my CRT used to use) and that you do not want a recorder.

You can get a 32" branded tv for about the £230 mark, the supermarket ones probably cheaper. In the long run, it will cost a lot less to use than keeping your current CRT going. Plus many charity shops will come and pick your old one up for free should you want to get rid of it.