Options

Is This The Loch Ness Monster?

Comments

• Options
    BellaRosaBellaRosa Posts: 36,553
    Forum Member
    pie-eyed wrote: »
    I don't know if this is the Loch Ness monster but I really think there is something there. Not everyone who claims to have seen the monster is a nutter. There are some normal rational people who have reported sightings. I think it has already been proved that there is something big in there. I'd really like it to be real.

I am with you on that. Until it is proven there is no monster, the monster or something is in that Loch. There are too many sightings imo.
  • Options
    Sargeant80Sargeant80 Posts: 1,413
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In fairness most cryptozoologists don't believe the LNM exists.

Its right at the bottom of the list of undiscovered animals
  • Options
    Pull2OpenPull2Open Posts: 15,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think it has already been proved that there is something big in there.

It has? When?

So far, even the most well publicised sightings have been proved beyond reason as hoaxes, birds, boat wake and logs.

I went to the Nessie exhibition at Loch Ness about 6 months ago and the whole experience was geared to disproving its existence. You would have thought that the LNM would be their biggest earner and would introduce an amount of doubt but nope, it says its a myth, not real and they are of course absolutely right!
  • Options
    AddisonianAddisonian Posts: 16,377
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Do people still think this thing exists?
  • Options
    coughthecatcoughthecat Posts: 6,876
    Forum Member
    I think it has already been proved that there is something big in there.
    Pull2Open wrote: »
    It has? When?

http://i631.photobucket.com/albums/uu37/merrytraveller/blogposts/45-fat-people-swim-too.jpg
  • Options
    performingmonkperformingmonk Posts: 20,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I do believe the legend started when people kept seeing something huge that had made its way into the loch. Probably a whale or something, but because it was hundreds of years ago no-one around there knew what a whale even looked like! The legend just grew.
  • Options
    Keyser_Soze1Keyser_Soze1 Posts: 25,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • Options
    Flat MattFlat Matt Posts: 7,023
    Forum Member
    I must admit, I'm not aware of that!

Bearing in mind the size compared to the largest Blue Whale recorded, if that's some sort of a "beast" in there, it's going to weigh around 1,000 tonnes!

There's a charter boat on Loch Ness which regularly ploughs up and down the northern end. It's around 25 metres long and has a very distinctive wake. Here's a photo of the actual boat on Loch Ness.

http://www.visitscotland.com/wsimgs/Aerial%20QueenR%282%29.jpg%5BProductMain%5D

The size of the boat pretty much matches the boat-shaped outline on the "Nessie" photo, but the image is reminiscent of the old "double expose" ghost images, where you'd take a photo with someone standing in front of the camera, and another identical shot without the person (and without winding the film on), so you'd end up seeing the background "through" them.

I've no idea how these satellite photos are put together (but bear in mind there's a lot of cloud cover ... and it is Scotland!) so it could be some sort of composite image or the digital equivalent of "double exposure" (if there is such a thing!)

However, I'm certainly more inclined to believe it's an optical anomaly than I am to believe there's a one thousand tonne (presumably very hungry!) monster roaming around in Loch Ness!

Mystery solved I'd say.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Wouldn't you just shite your pants if you saw that swimming under you :D
  • Options
    barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's a charter boat on Loch Ness which regularly ploughs up and down the northern end. It's around 25 metres long and has a very distinctive wake. Here's a photo of the actual boat on Loch Ness.

http://www.visitscotland.com/wsimgs/Aerial%20QueenR%282%29.jpg%5BProductMain%5D
    I think that proves quite conclusively that the satellite image is a boat.

If any creature of that size somehow found its way into the loch it would be dead within a very short time, as there's very little food in Loch Ness.
  • Options
    Auntie ClimaxAuntie Climax Posts: 917
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Here's another image of what looks like that boat from a slightly different angle. You can see the unique shape it creates in the water. I think someone has altered the image to remove the boat from the Apple Maps image. There is a slight outline of a boat when you really look at it.

http://www.scotphot.com/images/large/Boat-Loch-Ness.jpg
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Here's another image of what looks like that boat from a slightly different angle. You can see the unique shape it creates in the water. I think someone has altered the image to remove the boat from the Apple Maps image. There is a slight outline of a boat when you really look at it.

Yep, I think the small image of the boat has definitely been removed from the satellite images.
    Someone's 'avin a larf!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Surely the very first conclusion anyone should be jumping to in this day and age, when dealing with photos of ghosts, the LNM, Bigfoot or whatever, is 'Photoshop' (other picture editing software is available)!
  • Options
    Forum Member

Yup ... same boat (I think it's called Jacobite Warrior) with the same distinctive wake.

Incidentally, on your photo, and on the one I posted earlier, the boat is pretty much in the same position on the loch as the "monster" on the Apple Maps image! :cool:
  • Options
    kippehkippeh Posts: 6,655
    Forum Member
    BellaRosa wrote: »
    Until it is proven there is no monster, the monster or something is in that Loch.

Well, that's me sold.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53,142
    Forum Member
    NX-74205 wrote: »
    No, because there is no such thing as the Loch Ness Monster.

it's a long wavy creature with a long head that sticks up :D
  • Options
    shankly123shankly123 Posts: 598
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BellaRosa wrote: »
    Until it is proven there is no monster, the monster or something is in that Loch.

I think you have that exactly the wrong way round - until it is proven that there is something in that loch, there is no monster. People who make extraordinary claims require some kind of proof, not a photo that could be anything. Do you really think that something the size of that the thing in the photo could remain undiscovered and not photographed at all from the shore over decades? What would it eat for one thing? It would require huge amounts of food to maintain a body that size.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,232
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not sure if this will work:

https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&tab=wl

If not, type 57°24'41.6"N 4°19'35.1"W into Google maps (choose "Satellite").

I just scrolled through the comments under the article and people had solved it.
  • Options
    satellitesatellite Posts: 8,181
    Forum Member
    Flat Matt wrote: »
    It looks like a whale shark to me.

That's what I reckon, they have those large heads.
  • Options
    sweetpeanutsweetpeanut Posts: 4,805
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought it was disproved once and for all in the 80s when a group had many boats out there and did something or other in a long line with solar? and nothing was found?

I remember my then next door neighbour was taking part in the huge Nessie finding expedition. Anyone else remember this?
  • Options
    los.kavlos.kav Posts: 8,053
    Forum Member
    I wonder if they added it or knew it was a double exposure, to generate buzz around their app?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    los.kav wrote: »
    I wonder if they added it or knew it was a double exposure, to generate buzz around their app?

As if they'd do that! :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Blamhappy2 wrote: »
    Not sure if this will work:

https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&tab=wl

If not, type 57°24'41.6"N 4°19'35.1"W into Google maps (choose "Satellite").

I just scrolled through the comments under the article and people had solved it.
    It worked.

Case closed as far as I'm concerned.
  • Options
    Keyser_Soze1Keyser_Soze1 Posts: 25,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Loch Ness Monster is real because a glittering Fairy Princess told me when I was at the bottom of my garden.

So there! >:(