Options

Could Liverpool be the dominant force in English football for next few seasons?

123457»

Comments

• Options
    jeffiner1892jeffiner1892 Posts: 14,329
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Funny how it's not Liverpool supporters talking as if they've already won the league. Although last week Chelsea supporters were saying it was now their title to lose.
  • Options
    Jim_McIntoshJim_McIntosh Posts: 5,866
    Forum Member
    Possible? - Yes.
    Probable? - No.

There's too many rivals at the same level for one team to dominate IMO, and that's a good thing.
  • Options
    alancrackeralancracker Posts: 5,280
    Forum Member
    As much as it pains me to say, Rodgers has the hallmarks to be a great football manager, although, as with everything, only time will tell.

Me and BR? - admired the way his Swansea played but when we were after him was far from keen. I have to admit I had the attitude (which I now admit was wrong) that the new LFC manager should have had links with the club before - and BR did not and as he at first turned us down I wondered at his suitability.

But when appointed he said the right things and the first season was pretty good - esp the second half to it - a good start but this season has been amazing and he has grown into the club and an understanding of what the club stands for. I do think he now loves the club and the city.

Now he has a job at LFC for a long time (if not life) and we have stability - hurray - very vital. I guess the question we need to ask is what would happen if a big overseas club approached him? - I am by no means sure he'd accept esp if LFC build on this seasons success. Clubs like RM and Barca tend to bring guys in and then sack them a short while afterwards if they do not win everything (esp RM) so I think BR would need to weigh things up very carefully if he was asked to move from LFC.

I do think LFC staying at the level we are now we need BR to stay manager.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,575
    Forum Member
    Same with Manchester United, Alan. To keep at the level they are now, they need to hold onto David Moyes :)

In his case though, not sure your Real Madrids and Bayerns will be after him !
  • Options
    007Fusion007Fusion Posts: 3,657
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I view other European teams to be superior to Liverpool, in a way in which it will take time for Liverpool to replicate.

Also, one season of success isn't exactly a foretelling of the future. Especially when the competition will only be greater, as well as the expectation on the club.
  • Options
    swaydogswaydog Posts: 5,653
    Forum Member
    It happens to all teams who play in extra competitions not just a few teams!

Liverpool have done well this season but I wanna see how they fair when they are playing more games and having a lot more injuries and suspensions before I start being told that Liverpool are the dominant team and the best team in the country by a mile

Had Liverpool been in the Champions league then they would have been able to build their squad prior to the season with all the extra money coming plus the attraction of actually being in the CL.
    I expect plenty of signings this summer for the same reasons.
  • Options
    JokanovicJokanovic Posts: 12,193
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Liverpool have done incredibly well this season and fair play to them. For the OP to call them Bayern Munichesque is stretching it a bit.
    Liverpool won't be seeded so I am sure teams would rather not have them in the group stages so those comments are more realistic.
  • Options
    jeffiner1892jeffiner1892 Posts: 14,329
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jokanovic wrote: »
    Liverpool have done incredibly well this season and fair play to them. For the OP to call them Bayern Munichesque is stretching it a bit.
    Liverpool won't be seeded so I am sure teams would rather not have them in the group stages so those comments are more realistic.

I believe if Everton squeeze into 4th they go up a pot.
  • Options
    Thomas007Thomas007 Posts: 14,309
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jokanovic wrote: »

Perhaps, but I look at the way they've played against the top teams this season, results like:

Man United 0-3 Liverpool
    Liverpool 5-1 Arsenal
    Tottenham 0-5 Liverpool
    Liverpool 4-0 Tottenham
    Liverpool 3-2 Man City (could have been a lot more had they not sat back)

The way they've gone about beating teams and disposing of them reminds me of team that wants to get into the stratosphere's of the Bayern Munichs, Dortmunds etc. We'll see how they fare into europe next year but I've hugely impressed with their attack, and if they spend well in the transfer market this summer I think they can match Bayern Munich's attack in time, I really do.
  • Options
    mike65mike65 Posts: 11,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you want to compare LFC are more like Dortmunds last few seasons (not this one) than Bayern.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,575
    Forum Member
    Thomas007 wrote: »
    Perhaps, but I look at the way they've played against the top teams this season, results like:

Man United 0-3 Liverpool
    Liverpool 5-1 Arsenal
    Tottenham 0-5 Liverpool
    Liverpool 4-0 Tottenham
    Liverpool 3-2 Man City (could have been a lot more had they not sat back)

The way they've gone about beating teams and disposing of them reminds me of team that wants to get into the stratosphere's of the Bayern Munichs, Dortmunds etc. We'll see how they fare into europe next year but I've hugely impressed with their attack, and if they spend well in the transfer market this summer I think they can match Bayern Munich's attack in time, I really do.

Got a not dissimilar record to Man City at rolling over teams. Indeed Man City have got a slightly better overall GD and just dropped 3 points more in the league. This in a season when Man City have gone much further in the domestic cups, winning the League Cup, and been playing in the Champions League, all adding up to many more commitments and distractions.

Liverpool have had slightly the better overall league campaign, so will deserve the title if they win it. But you do yourself no credit with errant nonsense about them having been by far the best team in the league. They quite clearly have not been far better than Man City or indeed Chelsea.

Bearing in mind City's resources and Liverpool having to play Champions League football next season, I would make Man City the likelier of these two to win the Premier League next season.

Liverpool have done great this season, confounding practically everyone's expectations, but you really need to stop drifting off into fantasyland about their prospects going forward and comparisons with Bayern Munich.
  • Options
    circlebro2019circlebro2019 Posts: 17,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dont think anyone will dominate in next decade. will be split between city, liverpool and chelsea. maybe united if they force way back in. spurs could still do big things if appoint the right manager.