John Bercow Office Expenses

occyoccy Posts: 65,010
Forum Member
✭✭
The speaker of the house of commons has raked up half million pounds in offices expenses over the last five years according to the Sun. John Bercow who is calling for reforms to the MPs expenses must have spent a fortune on posh pens and pencils etc.

Comments

• SnowStorm86SnowStorm86 Posts: 17,273
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MPs are loving their expenses and 11% pay rise while trying to convince the rest of the country there is no money left.
  • rusty123rusty123 Posts: 22,872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MPs are loving their expenses and 11% pay rise while trying to convince the rest of the country there is no money left.

Is that the independantly proposed payrise that they're individually nearly all too scared to accept?
  • Biffo the BearBiffo the Bear Posts: 25,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    £100k a year on ... something. I wonder how many staff he's got? I can understand maybe an office assistant/PA on £20k and a political assistant on £25k or thereabouts. £10k rent maybe? I'm sure everything's accounted for, but I struggle to see beyond that.
  • ShaunIOWShaunIOW Posts: 11,318
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    rusty123 wrote: »
    Is that the independantly proposed payrise that they're individually nearly all too scared to accept?

Probably the independent but members chosen by the MP's board and the proposed pay rise they're publically too scared to accept but are privately wringing their hands in anticipation of.
  • SnowStorm86SnowStorm86 Posts: 17,273
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why do these people get such luxurious expenses and pay increases? Why aren't other public services such as nurses and teachers given expenses or pay increases? Teachers have their pay frozen which means a pay cut in real terms as the cost of living continues to esculate. These greedy politicians truly are pigs at the trough. And yet they see fit to force cancer victims to have their pittence benefits stripped off them and sent to work in tesco for zero hour contracts. It is the blatent lack of fairness that makes the political class so monsterous.
  • occyoccy Posts: 65,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Commons Speaker John Bercow has run up a staggering half a million pounds in office expenses in just five years, it has been revealed.
    Mr Bercow has incurred £495,592 in taxpayer-funded events, travel, clothes and other supplies since taking up the prestigious role in June 2009.
    This includes £100,000 on overseas jaunts and £26,000 in formal dresswear - with £3,700 spent on just two suits.
  • HildaonplutoHildaonpluto Posts: 37,697
    Forum Member
    £100k a year on ... something. I wonder how many staff he's got? I can understand maybe an office assistant/PA on £20k and a political assistant on £25k or thereabouts. £10k rent maybe? I'm sure everything's accounted for, but I struggle to see beyond that.

Its over 5 years not one.
  • JillyJilly Posts: 20,455
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No defender of Bercow but how does that compare with a 10 million pay off for a year of failure.
  • Andrew1954Andrew1954 Posts: 5,448
    Forum Member
    Are these only Bercow's expenses or the expenses of running the office of speaker? If the latter I can imagine that such an important office as that of the Speaker of the HoC could get through an average of £100k a year.
  • swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,083
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Andrew1954 wrote: »
    Are these only Bercow's expenses or the expenses of running the office of speaker? If the latter I can imagine that such an important office as that of the Speaker of the HoC could get through an average of £100k a year.

Yeah, I think the Speaker is in a different position to the run of the mill MP

I also believe that it is tradition that each Speaker makes some longlasting contribution to the fabric of the palace of Westmnster

So you'll get a tabloid headline something like '100,000 pounds on painting the walls, shock, horror !!!!!1111'.........but when you look into it it'll be a redecoration of a great hall or something that meant to last for 200 years and be a work of historical importance
  • AnnsyreAnnsyre Posts: 109,500
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    occy wrote: »
    The speaker of the house of commons has raked up half million pounds in offices expenses over the last five years according to the Sun. John Bercow who is calling for reforms to the MPs expenses must have spent a fortune on posh pens and pencils etc.

The expenditure does not seem excessive to me especially as the money did not go to him. It went to support the office of Speaker which cannot be done on the cheap. The only amount that I would query is £3442 for t.v. licences. Why are so many licences needed?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Annsyre wrote: »
    The expenditure does not seem excessive to me especially as the money did not go to him. It went to support the office of Speaker which cannot be done on the cheap. The only amount that I would query is £3442 for t.v. licences. Why are so many licences needed?

that's only enough to buy around 24 TV licenses and there are over 1000 rooms in the palace of weststminster !
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    swingaleg wrote: »
    that's only enough to buy around 24 TV licenses and there are over 1000 rooms in the palace of weststminster !

My home has several rooms but I only need one t.v. licence.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Annsyre wrote: »
    My home has several rooms but I only need one t.v. licence.

Let's say there are 1000 TVs in the palace...........can you have all of them on one licence ?..........even if they're all in different names ?

I don't know
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    swingaleg wrote: »
    Let's say there are 1000 TVs in the palace...........can you have all of them on one licence ?..........even if they're all in different names ?

I don't know

The t.v. licences apart I don't think that Bercow's expenses as Speaker are excessive.

Does a hospital, for example, need several licences?
  • NosediveNosedive Posts: 6,602
    Forum Member
    Well I agree it does seem a trifle excessive. However, if it means he is hated by most of the westminster class and he wants to reform the theatre of prime minister's question time, then he's doing something right for the money.
  • gummy mummygummy mummy Posts: 26,600
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm sure these expenses will be scrutinised to see if there is anything wrong with them.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why can't he buy suits from his wages?
  • gummy mummygummy mummy Posts: 26,600
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Maybe he's claiming for suits instead of claiming for second home allowance.

The new Speaker of the House of Commons, John Bercow, revealed today that he will not claim the parliamentary second home allowance while in the post.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/new-speaker-john-bercow-will-not-claim-second-home-allowance-1714947.html
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

Soldiers and sailors don't buy their ceremonial suits.
  • PrestonAlPrestonAl Posts: 10,342
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm finding it hard to have a go at the speaker without seeing a breakdown of the expenses.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
  • jmclaughjmclaugh Posts: 63,996
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sally's not cheap to run.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is a suit a office equipment? I suppose in some way.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Is a suit a office equipment? I suppose in some way.

It is a reasonable expense if it is ceremonial. Soldiers and policemen don't pay for their uniforms.