Abused by Jimmy Savile? Claim your £60,000 here!

Comments

• bryemycazbryemycaz Posts: 11,737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bulletguy1 wrote: »
    No idea tbh though i can't see "joe blog taxpayer" being too happy if it's left to us to stump up!

Well if it comes from the BBC then it is us.
  • CravenHavenCravenHaven Posts: 13,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kippeh wrote: »
    a cash payment, which has universal spending power to provide the victim with whatever they need or want to feel justice has been done, is the way forward.
    you should start your own Cash'n'Carry Justice business. You can buy the domain name off me for a couple of million at a snip.
    "Have you been affected by any of the issues in this newsflash? You could consolidate your grievances in one easy payout"
  • IzzySIzzyS Posts: 11,045
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    For what its worth, I saw a piece on BBC Breakfast about this, they had it clarified that you don't just fill out a form, send it off and are sent money in response(!). You have to have some form of evidence that its a genuine claim, a third party would have to be able to corroborate (sp?) it and also they said you'd need to provide a letter or some form of documention from a psychologist to prove that it had a genuine detrimental affect on your life, before they'll pay out. It won't be an especially quick or easy process, so their not expecting a massive amount of people to come forward but its part of the legal process, to advertise and give people the chance to claim, if they so choose.

They also had a representative from NAPAC who spoke about it and said that he'd spoken to some of Savile's victims, many of which have absolutely no interest in pursuing financial compensation - most just want(ed) to be recognised, for any applicable lessons to be learnt and to get support to be able to move on from it. He said that in the last 20 years he's worked for the organisation, he could count the number of people who specifically requested financial compensation on one hand. Thats what I heard, for what its worth. Oh and also he said there's a new support pack available for victims of child abuse available to download free of charge via their website.
    Bulletguy1 wrote: »
    No idea tbh though i can't see "joe blog taxpayer" being too happy if it's left to us to stump up!

Yes it will. They said his estate, worth approx. £3 million, was frozen shortly after the scandal broke in 2012.
  • SaturnVSaturnV Posts: 11,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Whether he did these things or not what possible test can the law apply outside of an accused convicted by a court?
  • habbyhabby Posts: 10,027
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've never met him, but had a dream that he touched me. Where do I apply? :D
  • kippehkippeh Posts: 6,655
    Forum Member
    you should start your own Cash'n'Carry Justice business. You can buy the domain name off me for a couple of million at a snip.
    "Have you been affected by any of the issues in this newsflash? You could consolidate your grievances in one easy payout"

As I said, it's usually the most practical way of sorting it. I was heavily compensated by my local council over an issue some time back, because what I wanted to happen as a result of their maladministration wasn't practical or economical. Compensating me cost them less and left me feeling thoroughly vindicated, not to mention tens of thousands richer. :D
  • Evo102Evo102 Posts: 13,630
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SaturnV wrote: »
    Whether he did these things or not what possible test can the law apply outside of an accused convicted by a court?

A civil case will be decided on the balance of probabilities, >50%.

I'd be happier if the funds in question, instead of being given as cash awards, were used to pay exclusively for the counselling of victims, that would put off the chancers.
  • TrollHunterTrollHunter Posts: 12,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I stumbled across an old 'selfie' of me with Jimmy in the background mid-way through a half marathon in Camberley. His top is off so he's bare chested as he runs past. The emotional trauma this has since unearthed is horrendous but I'm sure some compo would help my recovery.

How do I claim my monies.
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,269
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think there'll always be some company that will sink to low depths in order to make money. This is basically trivialising what Savile done as far as the company goes. Nothing is off limits for some companies.

Edit: Anyone who comes forward to falsely claim that they were abused by him just so they can get a load of money, this says a lot about them.
  • EnglishspinnerEnglishspinner Posts: 6,132
    Forum Member
    This is the age of the claim...

...to coin a phrase
  • AOTBAOTB Posts: 9,708
    Forum Member
    I once wrote to Jim'll as a child. Not only did he not 'fix' it for me, he never even replied.

I felt very let down.

How much cash do I win?
  • twingletwingle Posts: 19,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Elyan wrote: »
    These people are like Man City fans.

You hear nothing from them for 40 years then al of a sudden they're all piping up.

NO many spoke up and were ignored or disbelieved. I don't agree with this compensation culture but I do agree that children who were abused do have some form of recognition . So many posters in today's society have no understanding how abuse as a child affects your development and potential
  • Keiō LineKeiō Line Posts: 12,979
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Evo102 wrote: »

I'd be happier if the funds in question, instead of being given as cash awards, were used to pay exclusively for the counselling of victims, that would put off the chancers.
    Very good point.
  • jesayajesaya Posts: 35,597
    Forum Member
    Not everyone will want to have counselling or therapy. Some might just benefit from a holiday or the ability to give their kids something.

Of course false claimants should be weeded out, but why should those who actually were abused by Saville not get some recognition?
  • sweetpeanutsweetpeanut Posts: 4,805
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    twingle wrote: »
    NO many spoke up and were ignored or disbelieved. I don't agree with this compensation culture but I do agree that children who were abused do have some form of recognition . So many posters in today's society have no understanding how abuse as a child affects your development and potential
    So many on here always seem to miss the bits where children and adults reported it and were told they were lying and to go away.

My life was ruined by abuse,I actuly didnt even know that,just thought my wreak of a life was my own fault,I now know that is bull. Im finaly at the age of 56 happy, but I will never get my life back.
    Good luck to those who will get that money. I for one dont begrudge you a penny.
  • Bulletguy1Bulletguy1 Posts: 18,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Keiō Line wrote: »
    Very good point.
    There's always someone who comes along to dash the dreams of Cash Collectors! :D:D
  • BelfastGuy125BelfastGuy125 Posts: 7,515
    Forum Member
    Hahah forget PPI claims, now you will get a phone call everyday with some nice woman asking if you have ever been done up the Jacksie by mr saville.

I could really use 60 grand though....
  • sweetpeanutsweetpeanut Posts: 4,805
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Keiō Line wrote: »
    Very good point.
    Lucky for them, its not up to you what they do with the money.
    Its not easy to proove abuse but even when they do,they are called con merchents and out to ruin poor men.
  • burton07burton07 Posts: 10,871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    While Saville was alive, it was common knowledge that he was interfering with patients at the Stoke Mandeville hospital, so there was a cover-up. The people who knew what he was doing should pay the victims.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jesaya wrote: »
    Not everyone will want to have counselling or therapy. Some might just benefit from a holiday or the ability to give their kids something.

Of course false claimants should be weeded out, but why should those who actually were abused by Saville not get some recognition?

Given the publicity this case received can how there be anyone left?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    3,300,000 / X = ?

I can see a problem. Its going to kick off if the final figure ends up being a derisory amount. We fully accept you were abused while in care. Here is £500.

Hmmmmm.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,916
    Forum Member
    tnt wrote: »
    Given that the publicity this case received how there be anyone left?

The women who accused Ken Barlow and Jimmy Tarbuck are now freed up, so there should be a few more yet, particularly if Max Clifford gets off.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lucky for them, its not up to you what they do with the money.
    Its not easy to proove abuse but even when they do,they are called con merchents and out to ruin poor men.
    The vast majority of victims wont be able to prove it. At least they would receive private counselling.

I hope I am wrong and the numbers of people claiming is low.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,133
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Can I claim for him completely ignoring my Jim'll Fix It letter ?

I asked for a splurge gun like on Bugsy Malone

Insert your own face splat punchline :D
  • jesayajesaya Posts: 35,597
    Forum Member
    tnt wrote: »
    Given the publicity this case received can how there be anyone left?

There may not be, but the High Court decided it was a good idea to check - and I agree with them.