Tottenham Hotspur Supporters Thread (Part 12)

Comments

• kimindexkimindex Posts: 68,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The_Moth wrote: »
    Thanks, you've said everything I was thinking.
    I agree, too. Kane's attitude has been great.
    soulboy77 wrote: »
    So that's Van Gaal gone for us and perversely Moyes is now in the frame to take over from Sherwood, according to some sources.
    Apparently, Talk Sport have info that it's Pochettino. Who knows!
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Eye Itch wrote: »
    I can't see Moyes taking any job so soon. He's been damaged and might just take several months out from the game.

I agree and i've said this on some of the other threads. I'm convinced he'll take a sabbatical - a year maybe - and then go abroad to try and re-establish his reputation. If he takes another job in this country so soon, the media spotlight will be intense and potentially damaging to the club he goes to overall.

I've felt all along that if he goes, we'd lose Van Gaal but then to be completely honest, I'd probably prefer a manager who wants to come to us rather than a manager who is keeping his options open and ultimately settles for us.

Don't get me wrong, with Van Gaal's track record, we'd be lucky to have him but would he always have one eye on a better job ?.

I don't think i'd be hugely disappointed with Pochettino to be fair, but it's all a bit up in the air at the moment. I suppose we have to hope that United go in for Klopp really.
  • soulboy77soulboy77 Posts: 24,487
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Eye Itch wrote: »
    I can't see Moyes taking any job so soon. He's been damaged and might just take several months out from the game.
    I don't see him as being damaged. I see it more a case of the expectations being unrealistic with the Man U squad he inherited. The question mark I would have is does Moyes have the ability to build a squad, given the time, capable of being title challengers or at least regularly top 4 finishers?
  • Deep PurpleDeep Purple Posts: 63,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks, you've said everything I was thinking.

Me too.
  • shelleyj89shelleyj89 Posts: 16,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nothing spectacular on Saturday, but we got the job done. Great cross from Lennon - on his left foot too?! - and a couple of great deliveries from Eriksen. If he could get his corners up to the level of his free kicks, that would be nice :) Kane has done well these last few games, was suprised he went off over Ade.

As for the Sandro stuff, if we're saying he's injured, and he's not, I think he's well within his rights to confirm that he isn't. After that, I think it was schoolboy stuff from both sides really. Sherwood made himself look like a plum saying Sandro isn't good enough to be in his squad at the moment, when only a few weeks ago he was saying you want players likes Sandro in your team! It's also odd, consdiering Sandro was the first to back Sherwood after the Chelsea game. Sandro should have taken the high road after Tim's comments though, and his "Lol" comment was ill-advised for me.

At the time when Tim was leaving Capoue out, and after his and Ferdinand's comments about not needing DMs, I said I was worried that he would leave Sandro out too once he was available for selection. And that's where we find ourselves *sighs*
  • Knarf44Knarf44 Posts: 4,634
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Moves would be an uninspiring choice by Levy, you just know that many fans who believe we should have got LVG or some other big name will be on his back from day 1, especially if we fail to look like challenging for top 4 again.

I'm actually indifferent to who we appoint and simply hope that whoever it is, has a decent track record of success, is tactically astute, prefers working with intelligent players and isn't afraid to give youngsters an opportunity. Hopefully, Levy is looking further than the end of his nose.
  • PeePee Posts: 8,154
    Forum Member
    Knarf44 wrote: »
    This kind of comment I don't get. We produce a young hard working, decent, two footed player who certainly hasn't disgraced himself or the team in the games he's played and some of our fans do nothing but complain. Forget the fact that Sherwood brought him into the team and look at the player, only an incredibly ignorant fan would slate a young player who's worn our shirt with pride while some of his more senior colleagues have played for much of the season with such incompetence.

Sherwood has is faults yes but don't throw out the baby with the bath water. Bentaleb and Kane to the same extent are at the head of what promises to be a very good line up of young talent coming through the Academy and Development Squad and long may it last.
    I have no real problem with Bentaleb (even though I feel he has been MASSIVELY overrated by some), but any stick he got was primarily due to the way he was spectacularly mismanaged by Sherwood. he's hardly played lately though, so I can't understand anyone currently having a problem with him.

to address your wider point, I'm not yet convinced about our Academy products. while I don't dispute that they are great at their level, I don't know that it necessarily means that it'll translate to senior level. Bentaleb is decent, but not special, and I think he'll make a career out of doing the simple things well without ever being great at anything. and I will eat my car if Harry Kane is ever successful at any level higher than lower-Prem/upper-Championship.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    shelleyj89 wrote: »
    ...As for the Sandro stuff, if we're saying he's injured, and he's not, I think he's well within his rights to confirm that he isn't. After that, I think it was schoolboy stuff from both sides really. Sherwood made himself look like a plum saying Sandro isn't good enough to be in his squad at the moment, when only a few weeks ago he was saying you want players likes Sandro in your team! It's also odd, consdiering Sandro was the first to back Sherwood after the Chelsea game. Sandro should have taken the high road after Tim's comments though, and his "Lol" comment was ill-advised for me...
    Nothing worse when a player and manager use the media to have a dig at one another. I would expect Sherwood at least to show more maturity when commenting..
  • Knarf44Knarf44 Posts: 4,634
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There is much more to Bentaleb's game that what we've seen. In the Academy and Development squads he was much more of an attacking force than the CM we have seen him used as in the First XI. I think it's far too early to write him off or Kane or any of the other youngsters we have coming through. And anyway how do you judge success, there are a number of Spurs "products" currently enjoying successful careers with league teams, of course not all will make it to the highest level but they stand a better chance with a Manager, coaching team and fans who believe in them.
    Forum Member
    I think you've just inadvertedly proved my point. he's an attacking force at Academy level, but has shown precious little attacking nous (or anything beyond a good level of competence in the basics) in his senior appearances so far, outside of a couple of very good long-range shots. of course a lot of that will be down to how he's been used, but if he were capable of it at this level, you'd at least expect to have seen glimpses by now, would you not?

I'm not writing anyone off, I'm just giving what i consider to be a realistic assessment of their abilities, based on what I've seen. I can't see either of them becoming stars, but that's not the same as saying they're crap. with Kane, when I talked about him being successful, I'm talking about being a regular starter and competent goalscorer. I can't see him being that for anything higher than a lower Premier League or upper Championship level team. if those two are among the best of those coming through the Academy, then I don't think we should get too excited about the prospect of any of them coming through and eventually starring for us.
  • The_MothThe_Moth Posts: 7,749
    Forum Member
    kimindex wrote: »
    I agree, too. Kane's attitude has been great.

Apparently, Talk Sport have info that it's Pochettino. Who knows!

That wasn't Alan Brazil was it? A few weeks ago he had information that it was going to be Hiddinck despite the fact that he had already agreed to become national manager after Van Gaal.

I wouldn't mind a bet on Moyes being our next manager either.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I'd rather keep Sherwood than appoint Moyes.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That wasn't Alan Brazil was it? A few weeks ago he had information that it was going to be Hiddinck despite the fact that he had already agreed to become national manager after Van Gaal.

It was on Twitter:
    TalkSPORT's @BroadcastMoose has been informed Southampton manager Mauricio Pochettino is "likely" to become Tottenham's new manager
    Broadcast Moose is Ian Abrahams.

I don't know what reputation he has.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Interesting. I don't think i'd be hugely upset with Pochettino. He's had Southampton playing some good football so with a better quality squad, I suppose it's not out of the question it could be a similar situation to Rodgers at Liverpool.

Obviously i'm not saying we'll likely win the title next year, but I think with better players to work with, his approach might be a lot more successful.

This whole notion that he can apparently speak perfect english but refuses to do so does concern me though.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Moyes would be the easy option for Levy but if we really have ambition then we have to go for the best manager available.

I'd easily have Moyes over Sherwood if that was the only choice because at least Moyes is an experienced manager and bit more tactically astute, but I hope our sights are set much higher. If LVG goes to Man U we might as well hold off a bit to see who else becomes available this Summer.

Pochettino other than getting Southampton playing good football hasn't really done anything else.
    Forum Member
    yeah Moyes over Sherwood every single day of the week for me. it's a very simple decision, as one is actually a manager while the other one most clearly isn't. however, I'd really hope we can do better than Moyes.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It was on Twitter:

Broadcast Moose is Ian Abrahams.

I don't know what reputation he has.

Moose is a numpty, as Alan Brazil frequently tells him.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Moose is a numpty, as Alan Brazil frequently tells him.
    Ah, well. I just hope they don't delay too much, whoever it is.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ah, well. I just hope they don't delay too much, whoever it is.

I really hope it's not another 1 or 2 year manager who has to put up with players imposed on him, and then we start all over again because we're not top four regulars.

We need someone who has the final say in players, and is given control, but I doubt it will happen considering how all managers under Levy have fared.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I really hope it's not another 1 or 2 year manager who has to put up with players imposed on him, and then we start all over again because we're not top four regulars.

We need someone who has the final say in players, and is given control, but I doubt it will happen considering how all managers under Levy have fared.
    Yes, and, considering Arsenal, Man City, Man U, Chelsea, L'pool and Everton (and maybe Villa, if the takeover happens), then I think top 4 should be an aspiration, rather than a requirement.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    soulboy77 wrote: »
    Pochettino other than getting Southampton playing good football hasn't really done anything else.

Neither has Rodgers, to be fair.
    Forum Member
    this idea of players being imposed on a manager is just an excuse IMO. if you're a good manager, then you should be able to perform with good players, it's really that simple. I had a lot of time for AVB, but one of the excuses made for him that I never paid attention to was him supposedly not being given the players he wanted or having players brought in that he didn't want. to be fair though, I never actually heard he himself using that excuse, but it was made for him by others on several occasions.

with both players and managers moving around far more frequently today, it actually makes sense for clubs rather than managers to handle incomings and outgoings. there needs to be some sort of long-term strategy and continuity, or what you get is one manager bringing in all "his" players, and then the next clearing out all those and bringing in another set of players, and that doesn't do anyone any favours. of course the manager is an important part of the strategy, and should definitely have a major say, but I don't agree it has to be the be-all and end-all. not even Pep Guardiola had that at Barca, and his was the most successful managerial tenure of recent times. contrast that with Mourinho at Real, where he demanded (and was given) full control, and made a total mess of everything.

regardless of whatever structure you choose to employ though, the most important thing is that everyone is on the same page. THAT more than the system itself seems to have been the major problem with us over the last few years.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Van Gaal says no to us, according to this:

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/next-manchester-united-manager-louis-3442177
    Dutch boss set to replace the sacked David Moyes after reportedly telling White Hart Lane side he is no longer interested in their managerial vacancy

Louis van Gaal has rejected the chance to become Tottenham manager - paving the way for the Dutchman to become David Moyes' successor at Manchester United.

Van Gaal, 62, who will take Holland to this summer's World Cup in Brazil, was believed to be lining up to take over at White Hart Lane next season.
    But he has also been monitoring events at Old Trafford and Dutch sources claim that Van Gaal has now told Spurs that he is no longer interested in the job.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Van Gaal says no to us, according to this:.

Saw that earlier. I suppose nothing is set in stone at the moment, but I guess it's really just a matter of when and not if he joins them. Klopp has emphatically ruled himself out of the running and Van Gaal really does tick all the boxes of what they want in a manager.

But then as I said, I do think i'd prefer a manager who wants to come to us rather than one who feels he has to settle for us because a better job falls through.
  • The_MothThe_Moth Posts: 7,749
    Forum Member
    Saw that earlier. I suppose nothing is set in stone at the moment, but I guess it's really just a matter of when and not if he joins them. Klopp has emphatically ruled himself out of the running and Van Gaal really does tick all the boxes of what they want in a manager.

But then as I said, I do think i'd prefer a manager who wants to come to us rather than one who feels he has to settle for us because a better job falls through.

Does LVG tick all the boxes for United though? They seem to want a long term appointment and I don't know how long term he would be at 62. It was one of the things that made me dubious about LVG for us plus his personality which seemed to have a large risk of it all ending in tears again.

I'm not really wild about Pochettino either. The core of his success at Southampton has been his use of a bunch of quality home grown players.
This discussion has been closed.