Options

DAB in Northern Ireland?

Comments

• Options
    VectorsumVectorsum Posts: 876
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just got an exchange on my Pure Move 400D. The NI local mux from Bauer is now receivable on the replacement radio at my folks place on the North Ayrshire coast. On two previous 400Ds the NI stations would appear in the autotune list but without audio, so this third unit must be just that bit more sensitive on the RF side.

Weird being able to listen to Downtown Radio in full digital stereo on a small telescopic antenna so far outside its TSA - Black Mountain TX I presume? The other four high power TXs are all to the west and would be shielded by the Argyll and Arran hills.
  • Options
    HertzHertz Posts: 3,213
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Black Mountain TX I presume ?

There was a plan to decommission both Black Mountain and Colinward Mountain and Move NI mux to Divis and Carnmoney Hill. Wonder if this is what has now happened and why you're receiving the NI mux ?
  • Options
    VectorsumVectorsum Posts: 876
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just read the previous pages of this thread and that might explain it. My father's just acquired a replacement Pure One Flow to listen to TalkSPORT on holiday in the USA, so next time I have the chance I'll do an autotune with this. If this older design of set also picks up the NI local mux, then it'll almost certainly be down to the change of TX sites.

Out of interest, what is the reason for the change of those two sites? Is it purely an improvement of coverage thing?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    what is the reason for the change of those two sites? Is it purely an improvement of coverage thing?

Yep, I think that's the main reason.

Digital One use Divis and Carnmoney Hill rather than the former for that reason. Likewise the BBC.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Carnmoney Hill DAB is currently off air so something must be happening at the site.

Possibly the move from Colinward Mountain taking place ?
  • Options
    ozsatozsat Posts: 5,745
    Forum Member
    A quick question for DAB users in Northern Ireland if I may:

When BBC Radio Ulster splits there MW and FM programmes - do DAB users get MW, FM or both?

They are next due to split on Friday evening between 7.30pm and 10pm.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Normally we just get FM on DAB (and Freeview)

With all the spare space available on the local mux now, it should be possible to do both on DAB.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Thanks

Wales and Scotland seem to put out MW on digital - and FM on Internet when they split.
    Hertz wrote: »
    Normally we just get FM on DAB (and Freeview)

With all the spare space available on the local mux now, it should be possible to do both on DAB.
  • Options
    spannersspanners Posts: 974
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ozsat wrote: »
    Thanks

Wales and Scotland seem to put out MW on digital - and FM on Internet when they split.

It's slightly more complicated than that in Wales. Radio wales tends to split various FM frequencies throughout the country and again on AM and DAB.

This is the situation before Christmas:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0079gd9/faq
    At the beginning of December 2013 we've rolled out an improvement to the way our football splits work. Up until now, if Cardiff and Swansea were playing at the same time, those games would only be available on FM in the Cardiff and Swansea areas on FM only, with digital radio (DAB) listeners in those areas receiving a different match (eg Newport or Wrexham).

We're pleased to say that’s now changed, with local FM & digital radio in Swansea and Cardiff matching up.

So on Radio Wales Sport on Wednesday 4 December for example, Stoke v Cardiff is on FM & DAB in south east Wales, while Swansea v Newcastle is on FM & DAB in the Swansea area. Listeners to AM, Digital TV and FM & DAB across the rest of Wales will hear football and Ashes chat through til 10. Listeners online (via the website, iPlayer or the iPlayer Radio app) will also hear this AM "version" of Radio Wales.

We'll be fully updating this Listening Guide later this week with a comprehensive run-down of what's on when, in your area.

The situation isn't that complicated in Northern Ireland yet.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The details go on longer than the event itself :-)

Seems quite rare now for Ulster to split.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ozsat wrote: »
    The details go on longer than the event itself :-)

Seems quite rare now for Ulster to split.

A few years back they did experiment with putting BBC Radio Foyle on DAB for part of the day and reducing the bit rate of BBC Radio Ulster to 64 kbps mono.

At the time the BBC indicated they were keen to have BBC Radio Foyle on DAB. Nothing since has transpired, even with the extra space now available on the local DAB mux.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wonder if the Global/Communicorp deal will make any difference to the spare space on the NI local multiplex ?

Could this mean we're more likely to get Heart and Capital or maybe even Smooth when it leaves Digital One ?
  • Options
    AliAsteriskAliAsterisk Posts: 109
    Forum Member
    Wonder if the Global/Communicorp deal will make any difference to the spare space on the NI local multiplex ?

Could this mean we're more likely to get Heart and Capital or maybe even Smooth when it leaves Digital One ?

Don't think the Communicorp deal will do much difference. I'm surprised though that Global haven't made use of the spare capacity here. Even more surprised that Bauer haven't put at least on of their stations on there by now! :confused:

Smooth could be a possibility though when it leaves D1! :)
  • Options
    sparknetsparknet Posts: 71
    Forum Member
    ihear smooth radio is being replaced soon on d1 by an unnamed station playing hits from the 70.80s and early 90s.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Took my Pure Move 400D on a wee run to Portavogie this afternoon and did a quick scan.

Amazingly, it picked up 56 stations., though these were the Merseyside and North Wales local multiplexes in addition to the NI BBC/D1/Local mux. Both were badly broken up (lift on maybe ?). Several versions of Real Radio though I suspect these will become Heart soon.

Strangely, the RTE mux was coming in quite well (Clermont Cairn ?) Quite weak signal strength wise but no break up. This means there must be a real null in a Northerly direction as it's completely absent here in Jordanstown.

Oddly, on the night when Digital One started here last July, I did receive the RTE multiplex for a short time and then it disappeared. Wonder if the null was removed briefly ? It has never been receivable at this location on any occasion before or since.

Still, hopefully something new will appear on the local Bauer mux soon. We've actually lost several stations since digital One started. I do wish U 105 would take the plunge and go for DAB.
  • Options
    hanssolohanssolo Posts: 22,672
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We've actually lost several stations since digital One started. I do wish U 105 would take the plunge and go for DAB.
    You have gained extra stations with D1 and only lost Q102.9 which can't have local opt outs and will now probably remain as small scale FM stations after any DSO?
    http://radiotoday.co.uk/2013/11/owners-of-80-stations-want-dab-switch-halt/

Hopefully UTV's U105 will go on DAB to improve on the FM coverage (alongside Freeview), if Global and Bauer add extra stations to the local DAB mux, but do not seem in any rush?

Global will replace Smooth on D1 soon with a new station, but if they do not add it to the local mux, NI DAB listeners will loose Smooth (but it will still be on digital TV and online)?.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DAB in NI does still seem a bit of a mess despite Digital One starting last year.

UTV don't seem to be in any hurry to put U105 on DAB, which I suppose is understandable given Bauer Media aren't keen to fill the space left by the D1 stations and Q102.9.

It does get a bit frustrating that developments in DAB in NI are so painfully slow.

To be honest, Freeview radio is actually significantly better than DAB here. Apart from the absence of classic FM, I counted 38 radio stations on the platform (including those on Saorview). It's just a pity it's not portable.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    noticed rte radio stations ondab in n.ireland. not sure if its coming from divis r Clermont carn. reception at the moment is poor.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    sparknet wrote: »
    noticed rte radio stations ondab in n.ireland. not sure if its coming from divis r Clermont carn. reception at the moment is poor.

Not picking up any RTÉ stations in Belfast at the moment :S I'm assuming its not coming from Divis then, can't imagine why they would broadcast their mux up here when its only available in a few places in the republic. Unless they are planning to remove Clermont Carn's null to the North, which would make sense. Can't understand why they didn't remove it sooner..
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Most likely Clermont Cairn Nothing here in Jordanstown despite excellent analogue and Saorview reception. Portavogie must just miss the null.

Not sure why it's blocked out to the north.

No chance of Clermont Cairn being received in Belfast.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Is anyone else able to receive Digital 1 in Belfast at the minute? I was listening to TeamRock most of the afternoon but the signal just disappeared completely :confused:

I always get full signal quality so it seems a bit strange that I can't get any of the D1 stations? They're all coming up as Station Unavailable. Anyone else noticed this or is it just me?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nothing strange at this end, though my D1 transmissions are from Carnmoney Hill.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Given Bauer own both Downtown Radio and the local mux, will the changes in the rest of the UK affect us here ?

I think Downtown is exempt from any changes, but I would assume Absolute 90's will go on the local mux when Magic 105.4 starts on D1 in January ? Will Bauer also put Kisstory on the local mux as well ?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    any idear when this glabal station playing hits from the 70s/80s/ early 90s launches on d1?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    any idear when this glabal station playing hits from the 70s/80s/ early 90s launches on d1?

Sometime in 2014 apparently.

I do hope we get a version of Smooth on the local mux when that happens, but I'll not hold my breath.