Options

The Big Allotment Challenge BBC2 April

HotgossipHotgossip Posts: 22,385
Forum Member
✭✭✭
http://www.thesundaytimes.co.uk/sto/style/homes_and_gardens/gardening/article1392443.ece

So,we are to have another Bake Off, Sewing Bee Type prog but featuring allotments and the Cheshire Cat like Fern Britton.

You can bet your life there won't be any real allotment holders like the old boys we have around here. People who have grown stuff for years to supplement their family's budget. Not the trendies or the tree huggers just genuine people on low incomes who don't have enough space at home to grow stuff.

I imagine there'll be a yummy mummy, a gay person, a black person, an elderly person, a trendy young person with piercings and tattooes ...... And Fern simpering away with her head on one side like she's hanging on their every word. These shows nearly all have this sort of format. :D:D

They'll have shiny garden tools and trendy colourful wellies. I can see it now. The old boys here have baling twine holding their trousers up and old black wellies. A rickety old bike with a wire shopping basket tied on the front for their produce usually completes the picture.;-). Mind you they know what their talking about!!

Comments

• Options
    BellaRosaBellaRosa Posts: 36,552
    Forum Member
    I was so excited about this programme and then saw Fern Bloody Britton is in it >:( >:( >:(

Cannot watch anything she is in.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BellaRosa wrote: »
    I was so excited about this programme and then saw Fern Bloody Britton is in it >:( >:( >:(

Cannot watch anything she is in.

I will watch it to see if my predictions are right! I'll just have to cover my eyes when the Cheshire cat comes on.
  • Options
    able1able1 Posts: 1,442
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Meow;-)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Hotgossip wrote: »
    I will watch it to see if my predictions are right! I'll just have to cover my eyes when the Cheshire cat comes on.

:D

And see if she harps on about her nice slim figure that she got from bike riding and Ryvita's. Ooops silly me is was a gastric band ^_^
  • Options
    Forum Member
    able1 wrote: »
    Meow;-)

Woof ! Woof ! *Chases that dang pussy cat off* :cool: ;-) :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BellaRosa wrote: »
    :D

And see if she harps on about her nice slim figure that she got from bike riding and Ryvita's. Ooops silly me is was a gastric band ^_^

And of course her "healthy eating" ...... Must be eating all that veg that got her this job.;-)

Remember her flop of a tea time show which they axed? She treated the audience to her doing the splits ..:o.. Wonder what she'll be doing on the allotment? Maybe leapfrogging the manure sacks or hop skip and jumping the cabbage patch. She is such a show off.
  • Options
    19Nick6819Nick68 Posts: 1,792
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Watched about 10 minutes of the first episode and had to turn off.

Does everything have to be a competition?? My allotment is somewhere I go to escape the pressures of life, not to enter into competitive Carrot growing.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    19Nick68 wrote: »
    Watched about 10 minutes of the first episode and had to turn off.

Does everything have to be a competition?? My allotment is somewhere I go to escape the pressures of life, not to enter into competitive Carrot growing.

Seemingly so. These progs all take a similar format and therefore attract a similar sort of person to participate. They know a bit about things but think they know a lot.
    They think it's trendy to do things like gardening and baking whereas some of us have done it from necessity for years. For many the novelty wears off in a very short time and their allotments are left littered with weeds, discarded flowery wellies and rustic garden benches. :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anybody watch last nights .... I recorded it.
  • Options
    SallysallySallysally Posts: 5,070
    Forum Member
    I watched the first episode and was sorely disappointed. I grow all my own veg and would have loved a programme that talked knowledgeably about veg and flower growing with a bit of competition thrown in.

Instead, we had a mish-mash of a prog with some growing - and then the poor things had to cook and flower arrange! For goodness sake - since when it is de rigeur that a good gardener is also a good cook and is artisitic?

Someone at the BBC has lost the plot (literally).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Hotgossip wrote: »
    And of course her "healthy eating" ...... Must be eating all that veg that got her this job.;-)

Remember her flop of a tea time show which they axed? She treated the audience to her doing the splits ..:o.. Wonder what she'll be doing on the allotment? Maybe leapfrogging the manure sacks She is such a show off.

Do you know if she did this? If so hope she fell flat on her face :D Like you say she is a show off >:(
  • Options
    radio4extracrapradio4extracrap Posts: 2,933
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What a lovely programme. Excellent judges. Presenter not up her own arse. Gardeners without attitude, baggage or "family issues". More please.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nobody watching it in 2015? Going to watch it for first time tonight.
  • Options
    tiacattiacat Posts: 22,521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think theres another thread. I cant stand that Sandra.
  • Options
    newkid30newkid30 Posts: 7,797
    Forum Member
    I love this show, Jojo and Rob seem to be the best.
  • Options
    eviled2010eviled2010 Posts: 23,071
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    newkid30 wrote: »
    I love this show, Jojo and Rob seem to be the best.

I like JoJo, she makes me laugh!
    Knows what she's doing too...nice tomatoes!
  • Options
    davie1924davie1924 Posts: 2,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Seriously? There's a programme about an allotment challenge? Monkey Tennis anyone? Inner City Sumo..............??
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Reminds me of what a lovely hot summer 2014 was. :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 120
    Forum Member
    Totally unsuitable for the competition format. Gardening and allotments are a year-long thing.