Options

Whatever Happened to the Likely Lads?

Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,877
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Could this be the greatest sitcom of all time as the humour is timeless- one character is broke and down on his luck and the other is moving up in the world- and the scriptwriting is first rate. There wasn't a single bad episode and the acting was first class and also gave Christopher Biggins and Bill Owen their big break.

Comments

• Options
    baggiovalderrambaggiovalderram Posts: 704
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Totally agree...a classic!
  • Options
    apaulapaul Posts: 9,846
    Forum Member
    It's one of my favourites too. James Bolam (Terry) is reportedly not that keen on it, so it does not get repeated much compared to Porridge.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    apaul wrote: »
    It's one of my favourites too. James Bolam (Terry) is reportedly not that keen on it, so it does not get repeated much compared to Porridge.
    There was the feud between Bolam and Bewes that stopped the series being repeated for years, but I'm amazed Bolam doesn't like it as it made him. However, Bolam is a bit of a controversial figure- he slagged off the North East during the premiere of the film and can get very aggressive if people recognise him in the street. Yet he is a fantastic actor.
  • Options
    Andy_GAndy_G Posts: 11,442
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Writen by the extrememly talented Dick Clement and Ian La Frenais of course.
    A fantastic series that is still great to watch, Bob and Terry's friendship was both funny and very touching at times.

Why can't they make 'em like this anymore.
    :(
  • Options
    Armagideon TimeArmagideon Time Posts: 2,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Glenn A wrote: »
    There was the feud between Bolam and Bewes that stopped the series being repeated for years, but I'm amazed Bolam doesn't like it as it made him. However, Bolam is a bit of a controversial figure- he slagged off the North East during the premiere of the film and can get very aggressive if people recognise him in the street. Yet he is a fantastic actor.

The feud is still ongoing. 34 years now

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-1252389/Whatever-happened-likely-lad.html
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I was reading that while I was eating my pizza. Surely Bolam must know Bewes isn't very well off and could retire if he allows the BBC to repeat WHTTLL.
    Actually back to the series, when you look at some episodes, the cast is small- often averaging out at six actors- so the emphasis was more on the two lads, which made it work better.
  • Options
    essexpeteessexpete Posts: 9,210
    Forum Member
    It's sad the way Bolam and Bewes are now, its Bewes I feell sorry for he made one mistake and it cost him a friendship
  • Options
    hotdiggity1hotdiggity1 Posts: 1,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    apaul wrote: »

While Bolam can block repeats on BBC1 or BBC2 he cannot stop them being shown on cable/satellite channels like UK Gold or even BBC4 as Equity removed the actors power of veto on these in the late 90's.

Granted , the royalties from a UKG broadcast would be peanuts compared to a BBC1/2 showing but Bolam won't be the reason it's not shown on there.

It is funny - but it's also dated.

Who bought the separate dvd release of The Likely Lads only to find that when they released the combined boxset with WHTTLL aswell that another B&W episode had turned up that had not been included on the first set?
  • Options
    iaindbiaindb Posts: 13,278
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    While Bolam can block repeats on BBC1 or BBC2 he cannot stop them being shown on cable/satellite channels like UK Gold or even BBC4 as Equity removed the actors power of veto on these in the late 90's.

Granted , the royalties from a UKG broadcast would be peanuts compared to a BBC1/2 showing but Bolam won't be the reason it's not shown on there.

Who bought the separate dvd release of The Likely Lads only to find that when they released the combined boxset with WHTTLL aswell that another B&W episode had turned up that had not been included on the first set?

WHTTLL has been shown loads of times on GOLD recently. They've also shown some of the original black and white Likely Lads series of the 1960s. (Not too many of those episodes remain in the archives.)

WHTTLL truly is a brilliantly written, very funny sitcom. Just like the writers' other big sitcom success, Porridge.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    iaindb wrote: »
    WHTTLL has been shown loads of times on GOLD recently. They've also shown some of the original black and white Likely Lads series of the 1960s. (Not too many of those episodes remain in the archives.)

WHTTLL truly is a brilliantly written, very funny sitcom. Just like the writers' other big sitcom success, Porridge.
    not forgetting Auf Wiedersehen Pet. I was proud to find out one of half of the writing team, Dick Clement, was born in Essex
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It's only dated because of the fashions and the cars, the scripts are still brilliant and it hasn't aged in the way The Young Ones has, so early eighties and alternative now. Two men- one broke with few prospects and the other doing OK in the middle class- is a timeless concept.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's only dated because of the fashions and the cars, the scripts are still brilliant and it hasn't aged in the way The Young Ones has, so early eighties and alternative now. Two men- one broke with few prospects and the other doing OK in the middle class- is a timeless concept.

Agreed.
    But it's dated look maybe why UK Gold don't seem to want to show it anymore.
    Most of those real classic sitcoms don't appear to be their thing these days unless it's set in Torquay
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Agreed.
    Most of those real classic sitcoms don't appear to be their thing these days unless it's set in Torquay
    or Peckham
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    essexpete wrote: »
    or Peckham

Yes but thats not quite the same era
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Agreed.

Obviously it was made in 1973 so it will look old, but the writing is fantastic. The original series has dated more due to being made in black and white and being confined to a studio, but the sequel still does the job.
  • Options
    winenroseswinenroses Posts: 6,470
    Forum Member
    James Bolam comes over so well, twinkly and fun at times, in Born and Bred, that it's hard to see him as the strange, miserable person he is reputed to be in real life.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Obviously it was made in 1973 so it will look old, but the writing is fantastic. The original series has dated more due to being made in black and white and being confined to a studio, but the sequel still does the job.

I'm not arguing with you.
    I agree and I have the series on dvd myself.

I'm merely pointing out why UK Gold may not be interested in showing it at the moment.

There are shedloads of BBC comedies from the 60's and 70's that wipe the floor with much of todays trash thanks to outstanding writing but that makes no difference to UKG where all sitcoms must take place in Torquay,Peckham or Dibley
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not arguing with you.
    I agree and I have the series on dvd myself.

I'm merely pointing out why UK Gold may not be interested in showing it at the moment.

There are shedloads of BBC comedies from the 60's and 70's that wipe the floor with much of todays trash thanks to outstanding writing but that makes no difference to UKG where all sitcoms must take place in Torquay,Peckham or Dibley

Oh no I'm not suggesting that as you obviously agree with me over the quality of the writing and I know as a teen seeing it for the first time in the 80s I laughed at the flares and the kipper ties- as the seventies was so uncool by then.
    Also another poster has mentioned Bolam being a miserable, remote person in real life. I do know from reading online he hates being approached in the street and has been very agressive to people asking about the show. On the other hand Rodney Bewes would happily talk to anyone in the pub about it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For Bewes fans , his series Dear Mother Love Albert is out on dvd very soon
  • Options
    StrakerStraker Posts: 79,653
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can’t really add much to what’s already been said - It’s a classic but it would be remiss of me not to single out the sublime theme:

"Oh, what happened to you, whatever happened to me? What became of the people we used to be? Tomorrow’s almost over, today went by so fast. Is the only thing to look forward to....the past?"

Says everything about everything really.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Straker wrote: »
    Can’t really add much to what’s already been said - It’s a classic but it would be remiss of me not to single out the sublime theme:

"Oh, what happened to you, whatever happened to me? What became of the people we used to be? Tomorrow’s almost over, today went by so fast. Is the only to look forward to....the past?"

It was released as a single by a group called Highly Likely. The theme tune to the film was similar, called 'Remember When' that should have been released as well
  • Options
    winenroseswinenroses Posts: 6,470
    Forum Member
    Straker wrote: »

"Oh, what happened to you, whatever happened to me? What became of the people we used to be? Tomorrow’s almost over, today went by so fast. Is the only to look forward to....the past?"

Exactly. So poignant. :cry:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It must be the only case where a sequel to a sitcom was even better than the original.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    It must be the only case where a sequel to a sitcom was even better than the original.
    think Clement and LeFrenais must like doing sequels what with Whatever Happened.. and Going Straight.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    essexpete wrote: »
    think Clement and LeFrenais must like doing sequels what with Whatever Happened.. and Going Straight.
    Going Straight doesn't seem that well remembered now, but was a ratings hit and was nearly as funny as Porridge. Actually the late sixties to the early eighties were the golden era for British comedy and seem to be the most fondly remembered period.