Options

Annoying Radio Ads

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 415
Forum Member
edited 07/11/22 - 10:09 in Radio and Podcasts #1
What is the most annoying radio ad you have heard recently?

Mine has to be the man talking to that automated woman in the 'former192' directory enquiries ad.:cool:

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,931
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    button04 wrote:
    What is the most annoying radio ad you have heard recently?

Mine has to be the man talking to that automated woman in the 'former192' directory enquiries ad.:cool:

"Hello, its me.

I gave you the number to a guitar shop...."

I do like the bit that goes "The number you require is 118500" though :o

The Vodafone one is quite annoying, as is the DFS one with the holiday.
  • Options
    DigifreakDigifreak Posts: 146
    Forum Member
    Mine has to be the vodaphone advert where half of the words are missing

It...makes...rubbish...radio :p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Digifreak wrote:
    Mine has to be the vodaphone advert where half of the words are missing

It...makes...rubbish...radio :p

YES!!!

Did anyone hear the Squeeze advert - Superdrug IIRC
  • Options
    Richie_lecturer1977Richie_lecturer1977 Posts: 3,468
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The awful 118 version of Sister Sledge's 'We Are Family'. #'We are 1-1-8'.#

All 1-1-8 ads - "Got your number!"

The McDonalds ad a few months back with that German Techno bloke: "I'm luvvin it!".

Big City Tiles I've heard on Trent with 2 Americans - one knocks out the other."You're ruining the vibe man!"

A Huggies ad a few years ago with a baby farting. "Lovely soft smooth bottom, snug as a bug in a rug. Now, where were we..FART!"

First Class Windows on Essex - been going for years "When you pay for a front you get your back done free" and others

Another handful from another Essex station:
    Camera World, PVC-it ("What was that number agaiiinnn!"..."You don't wanna do that").

An ad in Liverpool for a local builders on Radio City

A daft ad about double glazing on a Glasgow station

Can't think of any more
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Also the mobile phone advert with Text speak for Songs, e.g. Whigfield's Saturday Night, Geri Halliwell's It's Raining Men.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 95
    Forum Member
    Coldseal windows and the majority of ads heard on Signal 1 are some of the worst.
  • Options
    redcar1redcar1 Posts: 1,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A certain motor dealer in my area (initials SCG) has done some pretty awful ones, one of which was sung to the tune of 'Simply the best' by Tina Turner, but the ads which annoy me most are any for solicitors who do compo claims. Solicitors weren't allowed to advertise on radio until 1984 and I wish it'd stayed that way!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    andproweb wrote:
    Coldseal windows and the majority of ads heard on Signal 1 are some of the worst.

"Call for Coldseal" (same *singers* who do the 1st Class Windows ad I mentioned a few minutes ago).

I remember hearing the Coldseal ads (or one of them) on the radio at the same time as they were exposed on Watchdog on TV!! Oops!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 200
    Forum Member
    Yarr radio has an ad for phone cards - the offer ends in March they say, I heard it 2 days last week
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 348
    Forum Member
    For me it has to be two from LBC:

1st - the Cucumber Man advert, the person cannot say there ' r's ' and the advert is so unbeleivably stupid, a superhero who deleivers are conditioning. :mad:

2nd - The self help advertisements, ' I'm David Gordon from Essex and if you want to know how i turned my life around and got 5 investment properties, then please feel free to waste your time at my free 16 hour seminar, you'll learn how to work the stock market and get wrangled into some scheme'.

These adverts just get me so annoyed, the cucumber one especially because its played in almost every advert break.

Jab
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Al220385 wrote:
    "Call for Coldseal" (same *singers* who do the 1st Class Windows ad I mentioned a few minutes ago).

I remember hearing the Coldseal ads (or one of them) on the radio at the same time as they were exposed on Watchdog on TV!! Oops!

Hey, I just perfected the accent for that ad! :D

The new DAB ads are fairly annoying. The ones with some guy going through the personal ads...

The Tesco ones with David Jason, Kathy Burke, etc are extreamley annoying. "Whats whobbly doing, has he trollied or something?"
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,153
    Forum Member
    all of the above,plus the talksport fishing licence ads.'don't forget your rod licence'.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jab wrote:
    For me it has to be two from LBC:

1st - the Cucumber Man advert, the person cannot say there ' r's ' and the advert is so unbeleivably stupid, a superhero who deleivers are conditioning. :mad:
    Oh that's terrible - "It is I, cucumber man". Sounds worse than a junior school reading lesson.
    Jab wrote:
    2nd - The self help advertisements, ' I'm David Gordon from Essex and if you want to know how i turned my life around and got 5 investment properties, then please feel free to waste your time at my free 16 hour seminar, you'll learn how to work the stock market and get wrangled into some scheme'.
    Not the David Gordon, former Head of News at Chelmer FM and Dream 107.7?

ejim03 wrote:
    The new DAB ads are fairly annoying. The ones with some guy going through the personal ads...

You can hear/find out about all of them on the following link: http://www.rab.co.uk/rab2004/radioAdsSearch.aspx
    "Mmmm these fake beards are rather itchy, oops it's come off"
    -"Do you ever have long weekends?"
    - "My husband's a kickboxer"
    - "Oh ok then"

ejim03 wrote:
    The Tesco ones with David Jason, Kathy Burke, etc are extreamley annoying. "Whats whobbly doing, has he trollied or something?"
    I know this is about radio ads, but I heard they are going to axe the granny off the TV ads (Prunella Scales and Jane Horrocks) :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Al220385 wrote:
    Oh that's terrible - "It is I, cucumber man". Sounds worse than a junior school reading lesson.

Not the David Gordon, former Head of News at Chelmer FM and Dream 107.7?

You can hear/find out about all of them on the following link: http://www.rab.co.uk/rab2004/radioAdsSearch.aspx
    "Mmmm these fake beards are rather itchy, oops it's come off"
    -"Do you ever have long weekends?"
    - "My husband's a kickboxer"
    - "Oh ok then"

I know this is about radio ads, but I heard they are going to axe the granny off the TV ads (Prunella Scales and Jane Horrocks) :(

Are they? Perhaps they got all the toilet paper as a pay off? :D

I really like the Roy Mallard ads for the RAB. My favourite ones have been where he's interviewing Peter Fleet (Ford Mondeo) and the CK1 Comfort one :)

It does stay in your memory though. Some of the better ones are forgetable. I think the Noodles ones are quite good, but not as memorable as say the Tesco Home Insurance ones.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ejim03 wrote:
    Are they? Perhaps they got all the toilet paper as a pay off? :D
    Either that or someone's been on the laxative too much.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Al220385 wrote:
    Either that or someone's been on the laxative too much.

How long have those ads been going now anyway? Must be a fair few years.
  • Options
    nickgoldnickgold Posts: 897
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Even though the advert is very hard hitting I really cant stand the smoking adverts it makes me breath really deap breaths then I feel dizzy
    But that superdrug one was bad
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 304
    Forum Member
    I hate that advert for Rooney solictors. aahhh I will throw the radio out the window if I hear it again.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ejim03 wrote:
    How long have those ads been going now anyway? Must be a fair few years.
    1998 they started I think.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    radiostar wrote:
    I hate that advert for Rooney solictors. aahhh I will throw the radio out the window if I hear it again.
    Paul Rooney, Where Actions Speak Louder Than Words
  • Options
    Cheshire RobskiCheshire Robski Posts: 1,669
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    (Sung) Carcroft of Sheffield, they've got 1500 hundred cars on display, Carcroft of Sheffield!!
  • Options
    InkblotInkblot Posts: 26,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Whenever I see an advert for the Carphone Warehouse I can't help remembering their old radio ads with that dreadful version of the Telephone Man song:
    "Hey, baby, I'm your telephone man
    You just show me where you want it and I'll put it where I can" and so on in a heavy innuendo stylee.

Somehow I can't take them seriously as a telephone provider when I think of that squeaky voice singing "the Carphone Warehouse doo-be-do!"
  • Options
    PhilH36PhilH36 Posts: 26,311
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A recent hate of mine,which thankfully seems to no longer be on,was the one for Ocado home shopping with the kids shouting "Be more demanding".

Re the Cucumber Man advert,I've heard that on Capital FM and Magic in the break leading up to the 6am news,but then they don't seem to play it any more during the daytime.
  • Options
    JustmadeitJustmadeit Posts: 7,512
    Forum Member
    the worst one ever has to be the one on talksport with a woman at that end that sings 'call AAP' she sings that bit in a high pitch squeel, its unbearably bad.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    stin74 wrote:
    the worst one ever has to be the one on talksport with a woman at that end that sings 'call AAP' she sings that bit in a high pitch squeel, its unbearably bad.

They've been going a while now in various forms.

Just been thinking about some old ads - like the ones DHL used to have "Ain't no mountain high enough".
This discussion has been closed.