Options

Why does corned beef come in a sqare tin with a key?

degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
Forum Member
^ this

Plenty of other food come in round tins and it's becoming more & more common to have a ring pull on the tin. So why the square tin, which makes it harder to get the food out and why the dangerous key?

Comments

• Options
    crazychris12crazychris12 Posts: 26,254
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't know but hate it. Can't get the damned thing out even with the top off. Have to get a knife round it or even take the other end off with a tin-opener.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,442
    Forum Member
    Don't know but hate it. Can't get the damned thing out even with the top off. Have to get a knife round it or even take the other end off with a tin-opener.

That is the simplest way, use a tin opener on both the top and bottom, then push it out of the bottom, it is usually safer than the key method too :)
  • Options
    Reiver97Reiver97 Posts: 2,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fair point actually. The amount of times Ive cut myself trying to open a tin of Bully. The strip of can that you end up with on the key is razor sharp. Surprised the elf and safety lot havent been onto it. Might send a letter to my MEP, give him something to do.

However, Im more concerned with how expensive Corned Beef is these days. Used to be a cheap way to get a bit of meat but these days its actually pretty steep. Never see it for less than quid and some change a tin. Couple years ago you could get it for less than 50p.

And, while Im here, what is the difference between the Corned Beef we get in tins here and the Corned Beef they use in New York Deli's or in Ireland?

Exhibit A - British corned beef

Exhibit B - USA Deli style corned beef

Exhibit C - Irish corned beef
  • Options
    spiney2spiney2 Posts: 27,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ...... because it used to be staple army rations, so in case u lost the can opener.
  • Options
    crazychris12crazychris12 Posts: 26,254
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yep corned beef is at least £1.39 a can and that's a supermarket brand. John West and the "lean" varieties are even more.
  • Options
    spiney2spiney2 Posts: 27,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Reiver97 wrote: »
    Fair point actually. The amount of times Ive cut myself trying to open a tin of Bully. The strip of can that you end up with on the key is razor sharp. Surprised the elf and safety lot havent been onto it. Might send a letter to my MEP, give him something to do.

However, Im more concerned with how expensive Corned Beef is these days. Used to be a cheap way to get a bit of meat but these days its actually pretty steep. Never see it for less than quid and some change a tin. Couple years ago you could get it for less than 50p.

And, while Im here, what is the difference between the Corned Beef we get in tins here and the Corned Beef they use in New York Deli's or in Ireland?

Fat content. Mind you, the USA has pastrami .......

http://agroindustriindonesia.blogspot.com/2010/09/corned-beef.html
  • Options
    EspressoEspresso Posts: 18,047
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Corned beef initially meant beef that was preserved by covering it in salt to draw the moisture out. Back then, salt came in a big lump and knocking chunks off it for this produced smaller chunks, which were called corns of salt.
    That's where the name comes from.

The American deli version and the traditional Irish corned beef are a joint of beef, preserved in salt, as per that sort of thing. They are the same thing, just served differently. Deli style is eaten cold and sliced thinly and the Irish stuff is hot, as a joint of meat with veg. To confuse matters, Ireland also has the tins of Fray Bentos style corned beef that we eat. And both are called corned beef

Why the stuff we call corned beef should be called corned beef is a bit weird, Because it's not preserved in salt, it's preserved by cooking it in a can.
  • Options
    stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    It is easier to buy it ready sliced in Sainsburys!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    spiney2 wrote: »
    ...... because it used to be staple army rations, so in case u lost the can opener.
    I can understand that in years gone by but why do they still do it? Is it just for nostalgia?
    Why not pack it in a round tin with a ringpull?

It the only tinned food I can think of with a key.
    Spam, a very popular staple and although sometimes in a pear shaped tin doesn't have the key.
  • Options
    ShrikeShrike Posts: 16,609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think it is for nostalgia, degsyhufc.
    It is quite impractical - I've sliced my hand trying to get the stuff out before now:(
    The only advantage I can see is you can open it when out & about without a can opener - though I've always needed to use a can opener to take the other end off & push the meat through...

ETA I have had tins with ringpulls on, but they weren't much safer imho - the shape of the tin is just intrinsically dangerous.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some tins of ham come with a key http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3096/2749984070_28333b1abe.jpg

But I agree they are a pain. I bought a tin of corned beef the other week and when I got home the key was missing. Had to use a can opener and they aren't the easiest cans to open especially as I have Arthritis.
  • Options
    SeasideLadySeasideLady Posts: 20,776
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Princes Corned Beef now comes with a ring-pull opener - still tricky getting the meat out though, you have to slide a knife in still and lever it out.
  • Options
    queenshaksqueenshaks Posts: 10,281
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Reiver97 wrote: »

Oh my days!! I am salivating over exhibits B and C!! *drools*
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 899
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    queenshaks wrote: »
    Oh my days!! I am salivating over exhibits B and C!! *drools*

?????????????
  • Options
    Andy2Andy2 Posts: 11,949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just put the tin in the fridge for a couple of hours before you use it. The beef will then come out easily.
    I don't think the ring-pull can is a good idea for solid stuff like corned beef - there's a lip around the end of the can that makes it even more difficult to remove.
  • Options
    I love EllieI love Ellie Posts: 8,009
    Forum Member
    Chill can in fridge.
    Remove the larger base with a tin opener.
    Remove the smaller base with a tin opener.
    Push the beef out from the smaller end.

No need for a knife or a key.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And if you chill it, the corned beef is much easier to slice;)
    Just right for corned beef 'n pickle sarnies:)
  • Options
    Andy2Andy2 Posts: 11,949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Shrike wrote: »
    And if you chill it, the corned beef is much easier to slice;)
    Just right for corned beef 'n pickle sarnies:)

Oh Gawd, have you tried M&S 'extra-lean' corned beef slices? A whole world away from the claggy stuff that's normally served up. Deee-licious!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Andy2 wrote: »
    Oh Gawd, have you tried M&S 'extra-lean' corned beef slices? A whole world away from the claggy stuff that's normally served up. Deee-licious!

Hmmm - "They're not just corned beef slices, they're M&S corned beef slices"

No I haven't - M&S is a luxury I rarely indulge in:(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Andy2 wrote: »
    Where's the fun in that though.
    I'm using the corned beef to make a pie (or pasties) so doesn't need to be sliceable or lean.
  • Options
    Ellie666Ellie666 Posts: 2,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    the american stuff is more like salt beef - much harder to get here -
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Takkiya wrote: »
    ?????????????

What's with the question marks??:confused::confused:
  • Options
    currykevcurrykev Posts: 1,577
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shrike wrote: »
    Hmmm - "They're not just corned beef slices, they're M&S corned beef slices"
    (

Twice the cost and 3 times the time taken to pay for them.
    No thanks.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,442
    Forum Member
    currykev wrote: »
    Twice the cost and 3 times the time taken to pay for them.
    No thanks.

I don't understand this bit. What do you mean? does it take longer to pay for items in M&S?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't understand this bit. What do you mean? does it take longer to pay for items in M&S?

I thought it was just me that didn't get it.