Options

Who is the most bankable movie star?

Fowl FaxFowl Fax Posts: 3,968
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Possibly Johnny Depp.

Pirates of the Caribbean On Stranger Tides and Alice in Wonderland both went over the billion dollar mark in the cinema.

He received over $50 million for each movie but the return is immense.

However he was in The Tourist which was a bit of a flop.

Or Will Smith, his last 9 movies have made over $100 million in the cinema.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,642
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Matt Damon isn't doing too bad either or Leo Decrapphead for that matter.
  • Options
    TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Johnny Depp isn't as bankable as he was before. The Rum Diary may change that.

Matt Damon
    Will Smith
    Brad Pitt
    Sandra Bullock
    Leonardo DiCaprio
    Jennifer Aniston - I can't stand her but she's a safe bet

Anne "the new Julia Roberts" Hathaway?
    Steve Carell?
    Seth Rogen?
    Reese Witherspoon?
    Bradley Cooper?
  • Options
    bazellisbazellis Posts: 5,405
    Forum Member
    Arnie, Stallone, Willis
  • Options
    EVILSPEAKEVILSPEAK Posts: 980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't think any movie star can be called bankable. It's more the film they star in that determines success. Every big star has had their fair share of massive flops although they do have a core audience who will watch them in any old crap.
  • Options
    Stupid_HeadStupid_Head Posts: 37,826
    Forum Member
    bazellis wrote: »
    Arnie, Stallone, Willis

Are you living in the 80s?

Then the 90s were Julia Roberts and Tom Cruise.

I don't think they really have stars like that anymore, its more about a certain genre that is bankable rather than movie star.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Then the 90s were Julia Roberts and Tom Cruise.

I don't think they really have stars like that anymore, its more about a certain genre that is bankable rather than movie star.

In the case of Will Smith such stars do still exist. I doubt 'The Pursuit of Happyness' or 'Seven Pounds' would have generated over $150 million without his involvement.

Stallone also appears to be on his way back to being a big hit at the box office.
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    I'm surprised Tom Hanks hasn't been mentioned. Possibly his best work was in the 90s but still had some big films and collaborations recently.
  • Options
    Johnny ClayJohnny Clay Posts: 5,328
    Forum Member
    Sterling Hayden ;)
  • Options
    jamespondojamespondo Posts: 6,040
    Forum Member
    My pick is Will Smith. Look at how much money his star vehicles made! Hancock, Pursuit of Happiness, I Am Legend etc.

I don't think Depp alone is as bankable as you would think. The POTC franchise and Alice in Wonderland were major hits, but they had the right incredients (i.e big budget and Disney,). He defintely supplemented them though and in the case of Pirates is now a vital piece of the puzzle. Definitely a much more bankable star than before 2003.

Leonard DiCaprio has come a long way. Shutter Island and Inception did big business, but then they involved Scorsese and Nolan. Body of Lies and Blood Diamond performed quite strongly though.

Tom Hanks isn't as powerful as he was but Angels & Demons showed he still has that box office appeal. om Cruise has also declined. Yet Knight & Day was still successful enough.

The most bankable stars are the producers and directors imo. Bruckheimer, Nolan, Speilberg, Burton etc.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    James Cameron is currently generating money like no other director.

With Avatar and Titanic, the two highest grossing movies of all time under his belt.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,442
    Forum Member
    Fowl Fax wrote: »
    Possibly Johnny Depp.

Pirates of the Caribbean On Stranger Tides and Alice in Wonderland both went over the billion dollar mark in the cinema.

He received over $50 million for each movie but the return is immense.

However he was in The Tourist which was a bit of a flop.

Or Will Smith, his last 9 movies have made over $100 million in the cinema.

Do you mean each or all together?

Also I would say the potter trio would be quite bankable but only for the next one or two films, if they happen quickly.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Fowl Fax wrote: »
    In the case of Will Smith such stars do still exist. I doubt 'The Pursuit of Happyness' or 'Seven Pounds' would have generated over $150 million without his involvement.

Stallone also appears to be on his way back to being a big hit at the box office.

Thats true actually, I never got the appeal of Will, haven't watched many of his movies so didn't think of him when replying to the thread earlier.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,305
    Forum Member
    Takae wrote: »
    Johnny Depp isn't as bankable as he was before. The Rum Diary may change that.

I can see The Rum Diary being more of a cult hit like Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas rather than being an outright box office smash. It's not exactly mainstream.
  • Options
    treefr0gtreefr0g Posts: 23,660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I still think that Tom Cruise is the most bankable.

He hasn't done anything amazing for a while but I feel that he's an actor that is only ever one film away from being at the top of his game.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    CJClarke wrote: »
    I can see The Rum Diary being more of a cult hit like Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas rather than being an outright box office smash. It's not exactly mainstream.

Johnny was better as a cult actor anyway, less cheesy blockbusters.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,852
    Forum Member
    Commercially the Harry Potter and Twilight kids.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,305
    Forum Member
    granted08 wrote: »
    Commercially the Harry Potter and Twilight kids.

I really don't think that they are that commercially bankable. The HP and Twilight movies are successful because of the brand names, but outside of those movies the stars have only seen mild success.

I can see the HP actors crashing and burning (metaphorically) now that they don't have the HP franchise to rely on. Lets face it, none of them are particularly good actors (infact, in the case of Radcliffe and Watson, i'd say they are downright awful).
  • Options
    treefr0gtreefr0g Posts: 23,660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CJClarke wrote: »
    I really don't think that they are that commercially bankable. The HP and Twilight movies are successful because of the brand names, but outside of those movies the stars have only seen mild success.

I can see the HP actors crashing and burning (metaphorically) now that thye don't have the HP franchise to rely on. Lets face it, none of them are particularly good actors (infact, in the case of Radcliffe and Watson, i'd say they are downright awful).

I agree. I'm not sure what Daniel Radcliffe has got besides the fact that he looks like Harry Potter.

Saying that, Tom Felton seems to be making a name for himself and I like him. I also think that Rupert Grint has got something about him. Other than those two I think the rest of the cast will be forgotten in a few years,
  • Options
    KymberlyKymberly Posts: 763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    treefr0g wrote: »
    I agree. I'm not sure what Daniel Radcliffe has got besides the fact that he looks like Harry Potter.

Saying that, Tom Felton seems to be making a name for himself and I like him. I also think that Rupert Grint has got something about him. Other than those two I think the rest of the cast will be forgotten in a few years,

I expect that Daniel Radcliffe would do more stagework, wasn't he just in Broadway.
  • Options
    bazellisbazellis Posts: 5,405
    Forum Member
    Seagal, Van Dam, Chuck Norris
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 45
    Forum Member
    My vote is for Johnny Depp.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,852
    Forum Member
    The HP and Twilight Kids are going to have millions of offers and their careers may rocket because of that, in term of spotlight exposure, and the millions they've made they're bankable to a point. But any a-lister that doesn't even have to bargain with middlemen just demands a figure through their agent/s and gets the job anyway, that can mean they're seen as being worth millions.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Johnny Depp???!!

Did you see The Tourist? No? Well, neither did anyone else.

I don't think there is a truly 100% bankable star.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 216
    Forum Member
    Look at the success of The Expendables. None of the three do as much films as they used to but if they did they'd pull in the money.
  • Options
    Johnny ClayJohnny Clay Posts: 5,328
    Forum Member
    Figures, figures...
    jamespondo wrote: »
    Leonard DiCaprio has come a long way. Shutter Island and Inception did big business, but then they involved Scorsese and Nolan. Body of Lies and Blood Diamond performed quite strongly though.
    Blood Diamond did mediocre business ($171m worlwide), while Body of Lies did worse ($115m ww)
    Smerph wrote: »
    Johnny Depp???!!

Did you see The Tourist? No? Well, neither did anyone else.
    I think they did, actually. $278m ww - not exactly fireworks, but it ain't too bad. Disappointing, perhaps.
    Rasp wrote: »
    Look at the success of The Expendables.
    $274m ww - hmm, okay.