Options

specifying DVB T2 on manual retune

ffawkesffawkes Posts: 4,495
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I recently manually tuned my humax for heathfield, now looking good including HD.

However I saw somewhere that when manually tuning to a HD channel you should change the transmission from DVB T to DVB T2

I didn't. Should I have and what difference would it make?

Comments

• Options
    chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It depends on the box. The Humax couldn't care less and just gets on with it. Others are not quite so accommodating of less technical users who probably don't know the difference between DVB-T and T2. Or even what DVB-T(2) means in the first place!
  • Options
    grahamlthompsongrahamlthompson Posts: 18,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    chrisjr wrote: »
    It depends on the box. The Humax couldn't care less and just gets on with it. Others are not quite so accommodating of less technical users who probably don't know the difference between DVB-T and T2. Or even what DVB-T(2) means in the first place!

My Humax HD FOX T2 will not return any signal/quality from a HD mux using manual tune until you select DVB-T2.

Autotuning however (not acceptable where I live) scans for both DVB-T and DVB-T2.

Whether the latest firmware makes a differrence I am not sure.
  • Options
    aciddadaciddad Posts: 106
    Forum Member
    I have a HD-FOX T2 and a HDR-FOX T2 both with the latest firmware and both require selecting DVB-T2.
  • Options
    Luis EssexLuis Essex Posts: 2,267
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    aciddad wrote: »
    I have a HD-FOX T2 and a HDR-FOX T2 both with the latest firmware and both require selecting DVB-T2.
    ffawkes wrote: »
    I recently manually tuned my humax for heathfield, now looking good including HD.

However I saw somewhere that when manually tuning to a HD channel you should change the transmission from DVB T to DVB T2

I didn't. Should I have and what difference would it make?

ffawkes, manually tuning does not remove previous tuning. If you have HD channels after manual tuning without selecting the DVB T2 option then these HD channels are from what was left from previous tunings.
  • Options
    andyhurleyandyhurley Posts: 1,504
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My Humax HD FOX T2 will not return any signal/quality from a HD mux using manual tune until you select DVB-T2.

Autotuning however (not acceptable where I live) scans for both DVB-T and DVB-T2.

Whether the latest firmware makes a differrence I am not sure.

Yep, I get the same with my HDR.

I had to retune as I found SDN was not working properly. Initially I tried autotune which found about 300 channels and then selected 'Cambs and Beds' but for some reason this picked up the wrong SDN mux with a very weak signal (probably Sudbury off the back of the aerial).

In the end I deleted everything and manually tuned, mux by mux, and I had to select T2 mode for the HD mux or it didn't find anything. It did, however, automatically adjust the frequency for the offset which the HD mux uses on Sandy.

I'm unclear why the transmitter selection failed to work properly but since I've never had that feature before it's not really something I will miss. Manual tuning is much quicker in any case and we have to do it on all the TVs in the house anyway.
  • Options
    brumlad36brumlad36 Posts: 2,802
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    andyhurley wrote: »
    Yep, I get the same with my HDR.

I had to retune as I found SDN was not working properly. Initially I tried autotune which found about 300 channels and then selected 'Cambs and Beds' but for some reason this picked up the wrong SDN mux with a very weak signal (probably Sudbury off the back of the aerial).

In the end I deleted everything and manually tuned, mux by mux, and I had to select T2 mode for the HD mux or it didn't find anything. It did, however, automatically adjust the frequency for the offset which the HD mux uses on Sandy.

I'm unclear why the transmitter selection failed to work properly but since I've never had that feature before it's not really something I will miss. Manual tuning is much quicker in any case and we have to do it on all the TVs in the house anyway.

There is an inherent issue/bug with both the HDR FOX T2 and HD FOX T2 (which I have).

Using AUTO-TUNE, when the box receives more than one transmitter - even if you select the one you want (which may be lower in frequency) - the box will always give you the LAST FREQUENCY/UHF CHANNEL FOUND, containing the same MUX. The box will then put the highest (last UHF channel scanned) into the LCN numbers.

The best way to avoid this, is to do as you did (manual tune), or re-scan the required UHF channel after an auto-scan.

Chris.
  • Options
    grahamlthompsongrahamlthompson Posts: 18,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    brumlad36 wrote: »
    There is an inherent issue/bug with both the HDR FOX T2 and HD FOX T2 (which I have).

Using AUTO-TUNE, when the box receives more than one transmitter - even if you select the one you want (which may be lower in frequency) - the box will always give you the LAST FREQUENCY/UHF CHANNEL FOUND, containing the same MUX. The box will then put the highest (last UHF channel scanned) into the LCN numbers.

The best way to avoid this, is to do as you did (manual tune), or re-scan the required UHF channel after an auto-scan.

Chris.

If there's no overlap then removing the aerial during the box autotune while it's scanning the part of the uhf spectrum you don't want works. The problem with Humax boxes is that you must delete all the existing channels first before using manual tune. Doing a autotune with the aerial out doesn't clear the existing channel list (no channels found doesn't give you the save option). In my case there's the additional problem that Sutton Coldfield and Lark Stoke are both the same region. How would the box know which one you want ?

Lark Stoke is strong enough to get picked up on the back of the aerial despite the vertical polarisation. And vice versa if aligned on Sutton Coldfield.
  • Options
    Luis EssexLuis Essex Posts: 2,267
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Doing a autotune with the aerial out doesn't clear the existing channel list (no channels found doesn't give you the save option).
    An auto tune on the HD-FOX-T2 (plain 1.02.20 without customisation) does clear out the existing channels found before it scans. I did an Auto scan today and cancelled it immediately. The channels and the schedule were totally removed. The removal of the channels was what I wanted. To achieve removal of teh channels I did not do anything else.

In other words the auto tune works exactly the same as the 9150T, 9300T and the latest version of the 9200T software with respect to clearing out the channels and schedule at the start of auto tuning.

Removing the aerial isn't really necessary but for anybody accident prone it stops any found channels being accidently saved.