Options

Liverpool Supporters Thread (Part 12)

SupportSupport Posts: 70,835
Administrator
    Admin Notice: This thread is a continuation of: http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1664198

Comments

• Options
      Assa2Assa2 Posts: 10,345
      Forum Member
      ✭✭
      I'm in first. Sorry, no intelligent comment to make about Liverpool having just got back home from being in London last night.

Oh, ok, if I must. West Ham's offer for Carrol is a joke and should be dismissed as such. That Sky News report about Carrol being happy to be loaned out to a team with European football is also a load of bull, based on zero facts and there being very little football news around with the Olympics starting.

Hope that's better.
    • Options
      kobashi100kobashi100 Posts: 5,774
      Forum Member
      well done brendan rodgers!
      Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers has revealed he has submitted a 180-page dossier to the Reds' owners outlining how he wants to take the club forward.

Rodgers succeeded Kenny Dalglish at the helm of the Anfield club earlier this summer after they endured a disappointing campaign last term, finishing eighth in the Premier League.

The 39-year-old, who impressed with Swansea last season, has outlined in detail to Liverpool's American owner John W Henry how he wants to guide the club back to the top.

"I started over 15 years ago, and it's something I've been piecing together for many years since," said Rodgers.

"Then, when I became a manager, I put it into a format with a philosophy and methodology. I've added to it throughout and when I came to Liverpool, I presented it to the owners.

"It's a document on the culture, philosophy and game plan going forward. It's a model, a short cut to how I work, the kind of players I want tactically and the personality traits of players."
      Vision

He added: "The vision is simple - to win the most trophies we can. That's the bigger picture. The second is to play attractive, attacking football, and the third is to bring through as many of the young players as we possibly can.

"That's what I set down, and I've developed it along the way. When I became a manager I always wanted to go into a club with a clear philosophy so it's clear in terms of where everyone is heading.

"That's what I presented to the owners, a model of how we will go forward and make things work. Thankfully at two of my three clubs as manager I've been able to create a one-club mentality and it's been successful."

Rodgers has been overwhelmed by the positive reception he has received since taking over on Merseyside and is hoping to repay that support.

He said: "I know there has not been a ball kicked in seriousness yet and all that's about to change soon, but I've been touched by how supportive everyone has been and the players have been magnificent.

"So I have sense of looking forward and hope. If you haven't got hope, you have no chance.

"I just want to turn that positivity into something good moving forward."

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11669/7945033/Rodgers-outlines-Reds-plans
    • Options
      Unigal07Unigal07 Posts: 22,326
      Forum Member
      ✭✭✭
      Hey my post has gone missing! :mad:

I just said in the last thread that I was hoping to watch the Spurs game tonight but the OH has rudely booked tickets to see Batman instead! Boo.

Read an article in one of the rags today about Brendan Rodgers and his 180-page dossier about his ethos and style, hopes and aims. I'm pleased with his attitude and drive. Just hope it translates into good performances and points :)
    • Options
      LythandeLythande Posts: 144
      Forum Member
      Unigal07 wrote: »
      Hey my post has gone missing! :mad:

I just said in the last thread that I was hoping to watch the Spurs game tonight but the OH has rudely booked tickets to see Batman instead! Boo.

Read an article in one of the rags today about Brendan Rodgers and his 180-page dossier about his ethos and style, hopes and aims. I'm pleased with his attitude and drive. Just hope it translates into good performances and points :)

So Weird! The exact same thing happened me!

Was all set to watch the match with the brother, when the OH tells me we're going to see the Batman movie. I'll get to see the first half before we leave (and I can tape in on ESPN) but the brother is hopping mad!

Here's hoping we put in a good display against Spurs, especially if it might influence the likes of Joe Allen or Gaston Ramirez!
    • Options
      TheSlothTheSloth Posts: 18,878
      Forum Member
      ✭✭
      Holy sacrifices, Batman! My tot are thousands of miles away for a few weeks, so I can watch the game tonight in relative eace - literally!

I hope it's not a dark night for the lads and we put out a strong side - and don't play our joker by putting Skrtel at right back against Bale again!
    • Options
      SlowRapSlowRap Posts: 1,928
      Forum Member
      ✭✭✭
      Looking forward to the game! p.s. The new batman is a class film!
    • Options
      [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,649
      Forum Member
      ✭✭
      TheSloth wrote: »
      Holy sacrifices, Batman! My tot are thousands of miles away for a few weeks, so I can watch the game tonight in relative eace - literally!

I hope it's not a dark night for the lads and we put out a strong side - and don't play our joker by putting Skrtel at right back against Bale again!

Spurs have been a Bane for us in recent times.
    • Options
      Forum Member
      ✭✭✭
      Lythande wrote: »
      So Weird! The exact same thing happened me!

Was all set to watch the match with the brother, when the OH tells me we're going to see the Batman movie. I'll get to see the first half before we leave (and I can tape in on ESPN) but the brother is hopping mad!

Here's hoping we put in a good display against Spurs, especially if it might influence the likes of Joe Allen or Gaston Ramirez!

Ha, how random! Just had my TiVo installed today though so can at least tape it on ESPN like you :)

Spurs have been a Bane for us in recent times.

Yous are far too clever for my liking :D Thanks for the laugh.
    • Options
      dgsmithdgsmith Posts: 718
      Forum Member
      ✭✭
      From LFC forums for Tottenham friendly:

Liverpool: Jones, Enrique, Flanagan, Skrtel, Carragher, Spearing, Shelvey, Adam, Downing, Cole, Morgan.

Subs: Gulacsi, Wisdom, Henderson, Eccleston, Sterling, Sama, Wilson, Robinson, Gerrard, Lucas, Borini, Carroll.

Spurs lineup : Friedel;
      Naughton, Gallas, Kaboul, Assou-Ekotto;
      Jenas, Livermore; Lennon, Sigurdsson, Bale;
      Kane.
    • Options
      Forum Member
      ✭✭
      If the media are to be believed, Spurs looking to hijack the Allen transfer - what's with them and players called Allen?

Another similar player I really liked last season, Fulham's Dembele, is being linked with United now.

Oh well, let's hope Luis works his magic and convinces Gaston Ramirez to join him at our wonderful club.

I really need us to beat Spurs and for Jonjo Shelvey to score as the trio of Spurs fans I suffer at work laughed at the fact we extended his contract recently - they obviously haven't seen him play of late.
    • Options
      Forum Member
      ✭✭
      dgsmith wrote: »
      From LFC forums for Tottenham friendly:

Liverpool: Jones, Enrique, Flanagan, Skrtel, Carragher, Spearing, Shelvey, Adam, Downing, Cole, Morgan.

Subs: Gulacsi, Wisdom, Henderson, Eccleston, Sterling, Sama, Wilson, Robinson, Gerrard, Lucas, Borini, Carroll.

Spurs lineup : Friedel;
      Naughton, Gallas, Kaboul, Assou-Ekotto;
      Jenas, Livermore; Lennon, Sigurdsson, Bale;
      Kane.

Thanks for posting - not sure how Flanagan vs Bale will pan out but at least some of our senior players are back as it's a strong Spurs side. Should be an open game.
    • Options
      [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14,920
      Forum Member
      ✭✭
      Thanks for posting - not sure how Flanagan vs Bale will pan out but at least some of our senior players are back as it's a strong Spurs side. Should be an open game.

Uncompromisingly for Flanno. Painfully for Bale. :D
    • Options
      toogoodfortvtoogoodfortv Posts: 6,536
      Forum Member
      Bale switched wings I think .. Says it all :D

Pitch is yuck ... Makes it more difficult for our style of play ..
    • Options
      [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14,920
      Forum Member
      ✭✭
      Poor first half. Not much evidence of the much vaunted passing game. Even Shelvey was quiet. Already clearly better in the second half.
    • Options
      Forum Member
      ✭✭✭
      Big Andy with a point to prove
    • Options
      TheMunchTheMunch Posts: 9,024
      Forum Member
      Carroll's coming on for Spurs.

Carroll's coming on for Liverpool.
    • Options
      xorosetylerxoxorosetylerxo Posts: 6,674
      Forum Member
      Here's Andy this makes me happy
    • Options
      Forum Member
      ✭✭✭
      ---Borini--Carroll--Sterling
      ---Gerrard--Lucas---Henderson

From what I can make out, looks a bit messy; like a soup at the moment
    • Options
      Forum Member
      ✭✭
      Well, the game was a bit disjointed but I guess that's understandable given the unfamiliar lineup and host of substitutions. However, we look organised and consistent in our defensive shape, which bodes well for Rodgers' system.

Skrtel's run and shot was a particular highlight and backs up my hope he can be as good as Agger bringing the ball out of defence given he was once a forward. Flanagan looked better again after his recent erratic form and Sama and Robinson impressed again when they came on.

Although I think some of the flack Spearing gets is unjustified, his Achilles heel seems to be giving the ball away in dangerous areas. When Lucas and Gerrard came on, things looked far more assured in the middle. Shelvey was quieter but still did enough to hopefully convince the manager he deserves to be a part of his plans.

Going forward was an issue in the first half, though, as we lacked threat. Once Suarez and Mr X come in, I'm sure that will change. Cole was pretty anonymous and I can't see him featuring other than from the bench if we keep him. Sterling was lively again and just needs to gain valuable experience in his decision making when he gets into good positions. Eccleston looks, sadly, like Ngog reincarnated and Morgan's a bit raw but certainly has promise. Andy Carroll didn't do his changes of changing Brendan Rogers' mind much good after coming on to be brutally honest. Need to see more of Borini, but his work ethic is certainly encouraging.

Overall, we looked decent enough in possession and kept the ball away from Spurs as a result, giving us a more solid look. Once we add the threat in the form of Suarez and one or two new signings, it'll be a lot more productive than it appears to be at the moment. Introducing more pace must still be a priority.

On to the Europa League qualifiers, then. Still to early to make any judgements of Rodgers' philosophy coming off as we're yet to field a team anything like the one that'll run out at The Hawthorns in a few weeks time.
    • Options
      SJ_MentalSJ_Mental Posts: 16,138
      Forum Member
      ✭✭
      I'm looking forward to the first competitive fixture of this new era, We'll have a better idea of how we'll line up for this season over the next few weeks.

It's been good seeing some of the squad so far but I'm hoping for a step up in quality against Gomel.
    • Options
      Forum Member
      I don't expect to see Carroll in the match squad on Thursday.
    • Options
      ChristmasCakeChristmasCake Posts: 26,078
      Forum Member
      ✭✭✭
      Ooh new shiny thread :). I didn't get to see the game as I was busy being a chauffeur, but I can't say a 0-0 bothers me too much for a meaningless friendly.
    • Options
      batdude_uk1batdude_uk1 Posts: 78,722
      Forum Member
      ✭✭✭
      kobashi100 wrote: »
      I don't expect to see Carroll in the match squad on Thursday.

If he does play, will that make him ineligible for Europe? Or just the qualifers?

With Suarez at the Olympics, and Carroll not being picked for that reason, who will you play up front in that match? :confused:
    • Options
      Forum Member
      ✭✭✭
      If he does play, will that make him ineligible for Europe? Or just the qualifers?

With Suarez at the Olympics, and Carroll not being picked for that reason, who will you play up front in that match? :confused:

We have Borini now so hopefully him, and maybes a couple of youngsters?
    • Options
      Forum Member

he would be cup-tied for the whole competition.

lets see what BR does come Thursday night.
    This discussion has been closed.