Options

SPOTY 2012 Poll

Comments

• Options
    DartGuruDartGuru Posts: 2,893
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Time to start a new poll, with an option to have no award this year as there are so many deserving winners it'd be inappropriate to select just one.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,575
    Forum Member
    DartGuru wrote: »
    Time to start a new poll, with an option to have no award this year as there are so many deserving winners it'd be inappropriate to select just one.

I do tthink it's a ridiculous idea, so many worthy so let's not give it to anyone. Let the nation vote ! ( as i am sure will be the case )

But since I have heard this view voiced by a few folk, I guess fair enough to put it as an option.
  • Options
    fab cescfab cesc Posts: 19,196
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd put Andy well ahead of Wiggins after last night.
  • Options
    BelligerenceBelligerence Posts: 40,613
    Forum Member
    Wiggins for me. Even before the Olympics, winning the Tour de France is something else.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wiggins for me. Even before the Olympics, winning the Tour de France is something else.

So is the US Open.
    So is the 5000 and 10000 metres at the Olympics.

Do I go on?
  • Options
    sensoriasensoria Posts: 4,682
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why no disabled athletes?

What about David Wier, Ellie Simmonds, Peacock or the phenominal Sarah Storey?

I think rather than a sports personality of the year they should just have a celibration of all the great acheivements that have happend this year.

For me there are to many to select from and to many to deserve it.
  • Options
    denddend Posts: 2,176
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I want Murray to win(as i love Tennis, and dont really care much about Cycling). But Wiggins is probably favourite as i understand his achievement in winning the Tour de France. But Murray should win for me, as he has had an unbelievable year. Wimbledon Final, Olympic Gold(and Silver) and US Open Winner. Hes won over the UK too, as before this year i think a lot of people still diddnt like him. His Wimbledon speech changed all that.

Mcilroy is the only other i would put in, far and away the best golfer on the planet, and could yet still help win the Ryder Cup.

Mo Farah/Ennis/Hoy all fantastic too, but dont think they have been as successful as these other 3.

Fantastic year of sport for UK, and a really hard one to pick this year, perhaps UK's best ever sporting year.

I would bet money on Beckham being knighted before long too.
  • Options
    BelligerenceBelligerence Posts: 40,613
    Forum Member
    So is the US Open.
    So is the 5000 and 10000 metres at the Olympics.

Do I go on?
    Of course, but it comes down to personal preference. The Tour is the greatest annual sporting event in the world, in my opinion. First Brit to win that in over a century takes some beating.

Farah, Murray, Simmonds, Weir and Ennis run him close. No point debating which achievement is better, they are all equally good. Hopefully each get the recognition they deserve.
  • Options
    KierenjKierenj Posts: 2,457
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Of course, but it comes down to personal preference. The Tour is the greatest annual sporting event in the world, in my opinion. First Brit to win that in over a century takes some beating.

I'd say yes if it was entered by brits every year... the thing is we haven't really had many involved until the last 5 years or so... it's a big thing but it's just cycling... for days on end...

Still, in terms of Personality... Wiggins; in terms of achievements, Murray... he's had an unbelievable year...
  • Options
    sensoriasensoria Posts: 4,682
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kierenj wrote: »
    I'd say yes if it was entered by brits every year... the thing is we haven't really had many involved until the last 5 years or so... it's a big thing but it's just cycling... for days on end...

Still, in terms of Personality... Wiggins; in terms of achievements, Murray... he's had an unbelievable year...

Sorry I am neither a cycling fan or a tennis fan but the tour de France is the most grueling sporting events on the planet. Winning the Tour is a very big achievement.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,670
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I'm for Wiggins too, but wouldn't mind if Andy won either, just think winning the tour is the bigger achievement in many ways. What I love though is that in any other year of sport a TdF winner or a GS tennis winner would win hands down, but then you add into the mix that it's an Olympic year but then it turns out that both of them have Olympic Golds as well, awesome!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sensoria wrote: »
    Sorry I am neither a cycling fan or a tennis fan but the tour de France is the most grueling sporting events on the planet. Winning the Tour is a very big achievement.

You say that, but even cyclists scoff at the suggestion that he needed a rest afterwards. Wasn't it Cavendish who responded to journalists suggestions with "you don't know much about cycling, do you". Degrees of difficulty are relative.

Not to diss his achievement, though. My whole point is that, THIS year, to quantify one achievement over another is plain silly.

I'd much rather see an award for all British sportsmen and women. Just because it's not been done before does not make it wrong.

When you consider that previous recipients have included numerous footballers more as a default measure just because there was no-one else.
  • Options
    fab cescfab cesc Posts: 19,196
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    For me being the first British man to win a GS in 76 years is far more impressive than the equivalent record for Brits in the TdF. Road cycling isn't that big in Britain so of course we haven't done that well at it, tennis is one of the biggest sports in the country.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,903
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Would love to see Mo, Andy and Jess in the Top 3.

Hope Ellie Simmonds does well too.
  • Options
    kikifikikifi Posts: 326
    Forum Member
    Plus there are 4 grand slams a year so its the first we have won in over 300 Gs as opposed to TdF which is the first we have one in over 100 times
  • Options
    KierenjKierenj Posts: 2,457
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    plus... it's cycling.. it's what kids that can't play actual sports do... that and triathlon.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,670
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    fab cesc wrote: »
    For me being the first British man to win a GS in 76 years is far more impressive than the equivalent record for Brits in the TdF. Road cycling isn't that big in Britain so of course we haven't done that well at it, tennis is one of the biggest sports in the country.

This is all going to get rather silly, but the pedant in me can't help but comment that more people probably cycle than play tennis. I know more people watch tennis than cycling though. Murray's win is very impressive and I think it's probs going to come down to personal choice between a number of people than their actual achievements and them being weighed up against each other.
  • Options
    JoooeJoooe Posts: 8,661
    Forum Member
    Wiggins, Farah, Ennis for me, in that order.

But there's so many choices it'll probably be hard to argue against whoever wins it.

That won't stop people doing it though. :p
  • Options
    ComputerComputer Posts: 2,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Murray, Wiggins and Simmonds for me with Farah, Wier and Ennis not far behind. It's been such a brilliant year for British sport!
  • Options
    Jason CJason C Posts: 31,336
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Perhaps a better way around the issue would be to have maybe three equal winners as an unprecedented show of recognition for an unprecedented sporting year.
  • Options
    batdude_uk1batdude_uk1 Posts: 78,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One thing is for sure though, whoever does win the main award, there will be people not happy with the person chosen! :D
  • Options
    Mark FMark F Posts: 54,023
    Forum Member
    One thing is for sure though, whoever does win the main award, there will be people not happy with the person chosen! :D

Well I'd agree with that but any winner will be well merited.

Its just great we've having a debate about what is better to win - A Grand Slam or Tour De France or 2 medals in long distance athletics races.

Who would have thought that a few years or even months ago!

;)

I would say it all seems a little harsh actually...the winner was basically be who out of the tennis/athletics and cycling fans voste the most...
  • Options
    Terrence ChantTerrence Chant Posts: 1,334,532
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I see that a lot is being made of the first Brit in donkeys years to win as an influential factor in a selection.

However, this shouldn't really come into it i.e a sportsperson who has excelled in a field where we've had previous success shouldn't be penalised as such.

For example, Rory McIlroy's achievement in winning a golf major is equivalent to Andy Murray's last night. However, it seems that it it is somehow seen as lesser because of the weight of history angle, which isn't right.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,371
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think Murray will be in with a much larger chance of winning due to the fact the match was so thrilling and to beat Novak, one of the greatest tennis players of this era, who earlier this year was looking at doing the calendar grand slam, is massive. To finally win was massive and the gold medal was the icing on the cake, as well as finally reaching the Wimbledon final.

Although I wouldn't mind Wiggins winning, Murray has been runner up a couple times before (I think) so even without major achievements, the voting public obviously do quite like him. And not only did he win his first slam, but he has been in the Wimbledon final and won that olympic gold, which I just feel edges it for him.

But, to be really honest, I don't think SPOTY would rank too high in either man's achievements, they are not going to be distraught either way.... I think Wiggins will get the knighthood, and Murray will get an upgrade on whatever honour he has now.

Finally, where is Jonathan Marray is your poll? ;);):D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,302
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've never liked the idea of this award and it's going to look even more stupid to single someone out this year.