Benny Hill

Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,877
Forum Member
✭✭✭
While he is often loathed by the alternative brigade, and his last few years were poor, at his peak Benny Hill was a brilliant comedian. Highlights to me were his silent sketches, his send ups of adverts and popular television shows, his comedy songs and the chase scene at the end. Yes it might appear sexist at times, but Benny was very much of his era and also, unlike some recent revelations, had no skeletons in his cupboard.

Comments

• jsmith99jsmith99 Posts: 20,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree - Benny Hill was a comedy genius who, so far as I know, wrote all his own material. His songs were brilliant as well; I have a CD of them.

The shows weren't sexist in the slightest; the point was that Benny always came off worst in any encounters with females. To me, the bond films were, and are, far more sexist.
  • ohglobbitsohglobbits Posts: 4,480
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah, I loved his send up of the pseudo intellectual films and whenever I see sex scenes on tv I always think fireworks and rockets. Here's a classic from the early days.

The Lover
  • GroutyGrouty Posts: 34,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Also liked Benny Hill, love that Lover sketch, and remember he always used to slap that little old man on the head :D
  • Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He was hilarious in the Italian Job and seemed best when he was playing eccentric characters.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,043
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Glenn A wrote: »
    While he is often loathed by the alternative brigade, and his last few years were poor, at his peak Benny Hill was a brilliant comedian. Highlights to me were his silent sketches, his send ups of adverts and popular television shows, his comedy songs and the chase scene at the end. Yes it might appear sexist at times, but Benny was very much of his era and also, unlike some recent revelations, had no skeletons in his cupboard.

I loved the benny hill show. Well I was only old enough to catch 2 or 3 of his episodes when they aired. I did buy the 1970s boxset when it came out but had to go to region 1 for some reason for the 1980s as heard they were cut.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I loved the benny hill show. Well I was only old enough to catch 2 or 3 of his episodes when they aired. I did buy the 1970s boxset when it came out but had to go to region 1 for some reason for the 1980s as heard they were cut.

The eighties shows became more adult with the dancers becoming more sexual, the humour became more adult, but I suppose it was Benny keeping up with the times. Avoid at all costs his American special as it just isn't funny. Generally his best material was from 1969 to 1984.
  • StigidStigid Posts: 2,392
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Benny was very much of his era and also, unlike some recent revelations, had no skeletons in his cupboard.

Oh yes he did, but that is where they will remain.

Nothing criminal though.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 60
    Forum Member
    Benny Hill was great used to love the sketches when he would slap the head of the little old man in the show lol . His shows were popular across the world aswell especially America and how ITV bosses treated him at the end was appalling .
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stigid wrote: »

Nothing criminal though.

There were rumours he had affairs with his dancers, but nothing illegal.
  • ganderpoke66ganderpoke66 Posts: 2,128
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Putting my PC hat on, he was a bit racist though, those Japanese sketches are painful to watch.

" Yes, the chicken is rubbery, no, rubbery " [ lovely ] , oh dear, nurse fetch your needle and thread , my sides are in need of repair.
  • GeorgeSGeorgeS Posts: 20,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bunny Hill was a very intelligent man, fully fluent in both French and Spanish and had a very keen understanding of he basis of comedy in the early days of stage and screen and of comedy styles in continental Europe, so he was far from the un-PC hick he is sometimes portrayed as being.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My favourite sketch is his send up of Dee Time where he crashes his E Type Jag at the beginning, meets the world's oldest man who dies on air, and Henry Mc Gee is hilarious as a film director who just fills his pipe.
  • James FrederickJames Frederick Posts: 53,184
    Forum Member
    My Granddad loved his stuff I can't really remember it apart from watching a few bits with him when I was younger
    Stigid wrote: »

Nothing criminal though.

Really from the things I have heard about it many think he died a virgin and was probably Asexual though that term wasn't really out at the time even today may don't know about it the fact I'm Asexual myself I did find that kinda interesting.
  • culttvfanculttvfan Posts: 2,800
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's unfortunate that many will simply remember him for his lame, lazy, repetitive and largely unfunny later years, because earlier in his career he was a wordsmith, at times, to rival Ronnie Barker, and a pioneer of the latest technology, for instance, using split screen to play multiple characters in the 1950s. Morecambe and Wise's famous kitchen routine was also copied from an early Hill sketch.

As for skeletons in his cupboard, I would not be surprised if there were many. I'm also surprised his name hasn't been mentioned in connection with the Savile scandal. As for affairs with his dancers, I'm not sure about that, but part of their audition process often involved an act that Hill referred to as 'being nice to Uncle Benny'.

In short, if you only consider his pre Hill's Angels career, one of our most talented and innovative comedians.
  • North DownsNorth Downs Posts: 2,471
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It was no secret he liked the ladies. Nothing wrong with that.;)
  • BellaRosaBellaRosa Posts: 36,542
    Forum Member
    Benny Hill was a comic genius :D Fred Scuttle/Chinese man/ patting the little bald man on the head and as for his ditties ...
    'It's only the hairs on a gooseberry that stops it from being a grape' :D:D:D

I didn't like the latter years but didn't really watch them.

His death was so sad :(
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A great man and much missed. Driven out by PC bigots and died too soon.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yt-gelf52Dc
  • drillbitdrillbit Posts: 1,687
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was no secret he liked the ladies. Nothing wrong with that.;)

i heard he was a closet gay

live as a recluse never married, bit odd must be said
  • James FrederickJames Frederick Posts: 53,184
    Forum Member
    drillbit wrote: »
    i heard he was a closet gay

live as a recluse never married, bit odd must be said

I thought if he was one or the other he would be gay but I just think he was on neither side of the fence
  • Sideburns57Sideburns57 Posts: 2,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What does a man do standing up, a woman sitting down and a dog with one leg raised? Shake hands. Classic Benny Hill!
  • Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
    Forum Member
    A great man and much missed. Driven out by PC bigots and died too soon.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yt-gelf52Dc

I think both the pro and anti Benny Hill brigades are hanging to much on this PC sexist thing.
    He got old, repetitive, lost his edge, nobody gets their day in the sun forever.
    Even those who worked with him remarked on doing 'versions' of old sketches.

Can't say I'm surprised to see who the OP is, talk about live in the past with your threads.
    As for Benny skeletons, IIRC used to get BJ's off at least one of the Hills Angels, I think that's as sexual as he got.
  • Flat MattFlat Matt Posts: 7,023
    Forum Member
    Benny Hill was great and I hated the way the PC media turned on him in the latter part of his career.

He doesn't get the recognition he deserves.
  • BellaRosaBellaRosa Posts: 36,542
    Forum Member