Options

Four in a Bed. New series!!

Comments

• Options
    hooterhooter Posts: 30,206
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    divingbboy wrote: »
    Oh, shit, you just know we're going to be 'treated' to one of his performances this week.

I thought exactly the same...:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just caught up on +1

Nice enough place, but too cluttered for me.

Plus, I cant be doing faffing around in the morning with breakfast. I want someone to cook it/do it for me.

Wish that woman would stop saying she wants to sit at breakfast and stare into her boyfriend's eyes...we get it. You're in love. You dont have to keep telling us :rolleyes:

Evening Bg , hope the day was better today.

Said to imself, bet the reason he`s not marrying her is that he`s already married to someone else.....Shouted at the telly.`have some backbone woman, the more you chase him the less likely he is to do the decent thing`
  • Options
    miss buzzybeemiss buzzybee Posts: 16,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    hooter wrote: »

Said to imself, bet the reason he`s not marrying her is that he`s already married to someone else.....Shouted at the telly.`have some backbone woman, the more you chase him the less likely he is to do the decent thing`

Ha! I thought the same, if she carries on like that, there will be no wedding!
  • Options
    gboygboy Posts: 4,989
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Today's place was nice enough - again slightly over-priced, especially with the DIY breakfast, but it had a bit of character about it.

They seem a pleasant bunch this week though.
  • Options
    SaturnSaturn Posts: 18,971
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just caught up on +1

Nice enough place, but too cluttered for me.

Plus, I cant be doing faffing around in the morning with breakfast. I want someone to cook it/do it for me.

Wish that woman would stop saying she wants to sit at breakfast and stare into her boyfriend's eyes...we get it. You're in love. You dont have to keep telling us :rolleyes:

That woman has issues :p
  • Options
    riverside 57riverside 57 Posts: 14,380
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wizard's Thatch is definitely not my cup of tea, nice enough place but way overpriced for what it is, and I just don't do DIY breakfast unless I'm self catering, and have somewhere to eat it in comfort!

Interesting to note that the others would all stay there again despite moaning about the breakfast and the price of the room!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Saturn wrote: »

Indeed.................she`s desperate!:D:D
  • Options
    BirthdayGirlBirthdayGirl Posts: 64,286
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Ha! I thought the same, if she carries on like that, there will be no wedding!
    Saturn wrote: »
    Indeed.................she`s desperate!:D:D

Agree with all of that up there ^^

The more she goes on about it, the more he will run away from it!

Hopefully its just today that she mentions it. If she continues to mention it, it will grate on me.
  • Options
    daisydeedaisydee Posts: 39,640
    Forum Member
    jamtamara wrote: »
    So situations do appear to be set. We knew that to some extent but it seems quite cruel from what he says - and I have no reason to disbelieve him. Julian Peck says that he was asked by production to take all the things he was ridiculed for. He also says that his wife's daughter was dying at the time the programme was made.

I do feel sorry for them now. Apparently they didn't apply but were approached to take part.

ETA One of the replies suggests he contact one of the contestants from Conwy who also suffered as a result of the programme. It seems her B & B is on the up again now so that's good. Does anyone remember her?

That episode was repeated this weekend - they were on with Eileen, the cat lady. The female contestant at Chy Conyn was a bit bitchy about Eileen's place but Eileen put her in her place very succinctly. :p
    Anyone got a link to when Julian was on?
  • Options
    NormandieNormandie Posts: 4,617
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Right. Part 2 of what I wanted to say earlier about the link to the TA discussion where Julian Peck berates his critics.
    SolarSail wrote: »
    Well, I'm sorry for their personal situation and bereavement, I really am and also thought it was out of order to question their relationship on the programme.

That said though I'm afraid in my book Julian's the master of his own downfall as far as 4inaB is concerned.
    Yes, I believe you're exactly right, Solar.

I do think Julian has a problem. I don’t know what – I’m not qualified to speculate – but the behaviour on the show, the weird replies to critical TA reviews which pre-dated the show and that weird discussion linked to earlier suggests to me that his behaviour is just a bit too consistently “off”. There’s a lack of self-awareness, a lack of understanding of context, a lack of mental separation of personal and business that initially, is funny but eventually becomes a bit car crash and I want to avert my eyes.

I have been in a couple of situations before where someone has been reasonably criticised for something. In order to bring the discussion to a juddering halt, the person being criticised brings in an entirely irrelevant (but often sad) situation in their personal life by blustering along the lines of… “how dare you say this to me now, on the day my partner / parent / child / was diagnosed with, run over by… <insert problem of choice>”... The introduced situation could not have been known about by the critic beforehand.

Naturally, no matter how valid and relevant the criticism, the introduction of the irrelevant “defence” halts the discussion and diverts it down the condolences route. But the introduction is not appropriate or in context and at worst is simply manipulative… and in the process cheapens the tragedy.

I don’t want to read anything he’s written ever again.

==============================================

Tonight’s place was interesting. Too cluttered for me. At that price, if you’re going to do DIY breakfast, there has to be a table, two chairs and ideally a crisp table cloth and a couple of napkins to go with what looked like a very good quality basket of goodies. I don’t think they’ve totally thought the whole breakfast process through.
  • Options
    Tommo781Tommo781 Posts: 4,935
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Have you seen the comments on Channel 4 FIAB page? For payment day, it says:-

"It's decision day as the four sets of B&B owners meet for the final time to settle some scores and discover what they've been paid. And could there be a wedding proposal too?"

Can't imagine who that would be, can you? :yawn::yawn::yawn:
  • Options
    NormandieNormandie Posts: 4,617
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tommo781 wrote: »
    "It's decision day as the four sets of B&B owners meet for the final time to settle some scores and discover what they've been paid. And could there be a wedding proposal too?"
    I did say to OH that I wonder if there'll be an on-screen proposal at some stage this week. :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Have you seen the comments on Channel 4 FIAB page? For payment day, it says:-

Oh god no....if its true, the poor man got ground down about it so much he gave in and proposed on camera :eek:

Wonder if he was "persuaded" or whether it was off his own back?
  • Options
    Tommo781Tommo781 Posts: 4,935
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh god no....if its true, the poor man got ground down about it so much he gave in and proposed on camera :eek:

Wonder if he was "persuaded" or whether it was off his own back?

What really bothers me is that we are now likely to have her go on, and on, and on, and on about not being married yet all week! :eek:
  • Options
    FM LoverFM Lover Posts: 50,841
    Forum Member
    owllover wrote: »

If that blonde woman keeps swooning over her man I think she's going to get on my nerves but it's too soon to tell yet.

You would have thought that after 4 & a half years the novelty of 'I like to sit opposite him so I can look into his eyes' would be over.

Yes, definitely going to get on our nerves and by the look of things other contestants by the end of the week.

I think the posh couple, Dom and wot sit will be a surprise as I reckon they'll be up for anything, especially Dom
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What really bothers me is that we are now likely to have her go on, and on, and on, and on about not being married yet all week! :eek:

I hope not. :sleep:
    FM Lover wrote: »
    I think the posh couple, Dom and wot sit will be a surprise as I reckon they'll be up for anything, especially Dom

Actually they came across quite well tonight. At first I thought "oh...snobs"...but actually they like a good giggle and can laugh at themselves so they may surprise me.

I think the bitchfest will come from the two Blackpool guys.

But let's wait and see. Too early to call really
  • Options
    guernseysnailguernseysnail Posts: 18,922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just watching now, not a fan of going underground so that activity wouldn't be for me neither would the breakfast in a hamper...I like my full English on holiday...It's part of the treat!
  • Options
    nick202nick202 Posts: 9,919
    Forum Member
    Just caught up with tonight's - I love the posh couple, I think they're fabulous!
  • Options
    daisydeedaisydee Posts: 39,640
    Forum Member
    habby wrote: »
    I don't know why people go so mad about champagne? It tastes horrible.
    Gives me a migraine. :cry:
    Sentenza wrote: »
    £195 a night to live in a cluttered shed?

I might rent out my shed :D
    It was cluttered but I quite liked it I would enjoy looking at all their bits & pieces.
    phill363 wrote: »
    DIY breakfast when you are paying £200 a night :eek:
    I thought the hampers looked very good - seemed like quality food. Much as I liked my cooked breakfast when I'm away, think i would have been happy with that. But agree about the price, seemed rather expensive to me.
    Hypnoali wrote: »
    As diy breakfasts go it looked quite good...I like that there's enough for lunch too. Like the novelty of the place but much too expensive for me.
    This.
    Just watching now, not a fan of going underground so that activity wouldn't be for me neither would the breakfast in a hamper...I like my full English on holiday...It's part of the treat!

I would have bypassed on that. :eek: Really scared about going underground.
  • Options
    FM LoverFM Lover Posts: 50,841
    Forum Member

I could see their point, almost £200 a night and cook your own breakfast. I can't see all three envelopes being full at the end of the week.
  • Options
    iluvjohnsargiluvjohnsarg Posts: 1,437
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The posh couple from Sandwich are quite lovely in real life. I live in the same town and they often have open garden events. I wondered if they may be a bit too snobby, but they fitted in quite well IMO.

What's interesting is the room per night price at The Salutation, Sandwich is quite expensive like in tonight's episode, but when you look at the 2 and 3 night break tarifs they offer they are very reasonable. Sandwich does well with golfers being one of the Golf Open hosts at Royal St Georges, so that might sway the prices a little, plus it's as down south as you can get!

The trouble with FIAB is that you don't compare like for like! The Blackpool couple have rooms at starting at £20; not even tonight's couple or the Sandwich couple are going to mark them down sufficiently, whereas the Blackpool couple are never going to pay anywhere near the odds for the Alderley Edge or Sandwich accommodation. I know it's just a TV prog, but you always just know what the Blackpool B&B hosts are going to do. Trust me ... I was born in Lancashire! ;)
  • Options
    SolarSailSolarSail Posts: 7,705
    Forum Member

Aaaw bless.
    That's definitely been set up.
    I feel a bit sorry because I'm sure it's all a bit of a laugh with them and she's been set up to look desperate.
    Normandie wrote: »

I do think Julian has a problem. I don’t know what – I’m not qualified to speculate

...There’s a lack of self-awareness, a lack of understanding of context, a lack of mental separation of personal and business that initially, is funny but eventually becomes a bit car crash and I want to avert my eyes.

I try and be fair and look between the lines so to speak. Am sure you and lots of others do too. Julian has got extremely uncomfortable now though and it would all be much best left alone.

FM Lover wrote: »
    Actually they came across quite well tonight. At first I thought "oh...snobs"...but actually they like a good giggle and can laugh at themselves so they may surprise me.

I think the bitchfest will come from the two Blackpool guys.

But let's wait and see. Too early to call really

Mr Sail and I were laughing as the 'posh couple' are quite similar to us, she has a handbag that I have and their weekend bag is the same as ours too :D Mr Sail reckons he 'does everything' although in fairness I'd have been the one to fill in the comments form ;) That said, I am known for a cunning swerve of activities which aren't really my bag - I'm ok with exploring caves, but haven't done that in a long time - the tipple would've been most welcome.
    Anyway, I shall reserve judgement as Day 1 on 4inaB often bowls a curved ball and it's all change.

We're planning a trip to Mark Sargeant's place at Folkestone later in the year, so a day trip to Sandwich would work well and we're also researching wedding venues for a possible future event (not for us!) - so am keeping an eagle eye out for The Salutation to see how things go.
    We're in East Sussex, so Hastings and Sandwich aren't all that far out of our way.
  • Options
    gboygboy Posts: 4,989
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    daisydee wrote: »
    [/B]
    That episode was repeated this weekend - they were on with Eileen, the cat lady. The female contestant at Chy Conyn was a bit bitchy about Eileen's place but Eileen put her in her place very succinctly. :p
    Anyone got a link to when Julian was on?

This is the link to Julian's episode: http://bit.ly/X4eZnH
    Normandie wrote: »
    Right. Part 2 of what I wanted to say earlier about the link to the TA discussion where Julian Peck berates his critics.

I do think Julian has a problem. I don’t know what – I’m not qualified to speculate – but the behaviour on the show, the weird replies to critical TA reviews which pre-dated the show and that weird discussion linked to earlier suggests to me that his behaviour is just a bit too consistently “off”. There’s a lack of self-awareness, a lack of understanding of context, a lack of mental separation of personal and business that initially, is funny but eventually becomes a bit car crash and I want to avert my eyes.

I have been in a couple of situations before where someone has been reasonably criticised for something. In order to bring the discussion to a juddering halt, the person being criticised brings in an entirely irrelevant (but often sad) situation in their personal life by blustering along the lines of… “how dare you say this to me now, on the day my partner / parent / child / was diagnosed with, run over by… <insert problem of choice>”... The introduced situation could not have been known about by the critic beforehand.

Naturally, no matter how valid and relevant the criticism, the introduction of the irrelevant “defence” halts the discussion and diverts it down the condolences route. But the introduction is not appropriate or in context and at worst is simply manipulative… and in the process cheapens the tragedy.

I don’t want to read anything he’s written ever again.

My honest opinion is that the production team identify someone they think will make 'good telly' and manipulate that person into behaving like an idiot - we saw it with Ben last week; Julian, Amanda and Katie (donkey-woman) are all prime examples from previous series.

There are two separate agendas at play in FIAB: the TV company who have an obligation to make programmes that people will watch, and the contestants who are there to get some publicity for their establishments, and thus hopefully boost business.

Most get it right and come across really well, some, however, fail present themselves in a positive manner, and do themselves and their businesses no favours in the long run.

Julian mentions Andrea in his TA response - quite possibly this week's Andrea - and how her 'pleasant experience' on FIAB wouldn't please the producers - but why should she please them? She's there to promote her business, not boost ratings for Channel 4.

OK, maybe Julian's right and he was set up by the TV company (though clearly other contetants don't feel this was the case for them); he should have been savvy enough to know whatever he's persuaded to do is going to influence how the audience percieves him and his hotel. Unless they put a gun to his head, he's quite within his rights to say "no, I'm not doing/saying that - it's going to make me look a total ****".

I'm very sorry to hear about Gill's daughter - that was tragic, expecially just before Christmas; however, it has no bearing on Julian's behaviour on FIAB.
  • Options
    SolarSailSolarSail Posts: 7,705
    Forum Member
    The posh couple from Sandwich are quite lovely in real life...

Hello and welcome iljs.
    Shame really how inverted snobbery judges people with a cut glass accent when we no longer do that for accents that were once thought >quote< undesirable>unquote< (sic)
    Although I suppose it depends on whether people also get the sense of humour or not.

I typed my previous post before I saw yours by the way.
  • Options
    MRSgotobedMRSgotobed Posts: 3,851
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What another stunning part of the country tonight's B&B seemed to be located. I thought the accommodation looked gorgeous, reminded me of The Vicar of Dibley's house. I wasn't too keen on the price tag though, I'm not serving myself, with no cooked breakfast option for that kind of money, although i twas a good hamper, just not for me, I want to feel a bit looked after.
    Btw, that last part of my sentence is referring to customer service, not someone to sit opposite and look into their eyes kind of looked after.
    One half of that Blackpool couple seemed a bit moody to me, is moody the right word? I don't know, maybe temperamental.
This discussion has been closed.