EE CEO says 4G "Pricing is the most attractive in the world"

2»

Comments

• wavejockglwwavejockglw Posts: 10,596
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    3 learned years ago that most customers don't actually use the bundled minutes and texts they provided in their higher value tariffs and the same applies to data for most average users.

There is an average use that is well below the fair use conditions most networks impose but the unique selling feature for huge/unlimited data, voice and text allowances is that it allows total freedom of use. A very small number of people will use their mobile as a replacement for fixed broadband under those circumstances but it's a gamble which 3 seem to have taken and won with. EE don't seem to have learned from that and are trying to sell faster data services which make sense to knowledgeable users with ridiculously limited data volumes or more realistic quantities with a huge price tag. They have as yet nothing in terms of 4G that could attract an average user to part with a higher monthly charge and faced with 'all you can eat' may have to reconsider their strategy or they might end up having the most 4G coverage with the fewest number of users.

I don't know anyone who has an EE 4G phone or dongle nor has anyone I know or work with mentioned that they might be interested in such a thing. That tells me all I need to know.
  • DevonBlokeDevonBloke Posts: 6,835
    Forum Member
    I have an iPhone 5 on EE4G and I'm in Devon with no LTE.
    Clearly I'm completely stark raving bonkers. EE saw me coming that's for sure Hahahaha
    Now at least you can say you know of someone in Devon with 4G. Just tell them there's a nutter down south on EE4G. It's the dense air down here or something.
  • coolmp3coolmp3 Posts: 148
    Forum Member
    I had a 30 day 4g sim 5gb in my ipad 4. Canceled it today and got a 10gb three for the same price. Speed is great on three and hardly notice the difference from the 4G service.

Just could not ignore the fact it's double the data for the same price and very little difference in day to day speed use
  • jabbamk1jabbamk1 Posts: 8,942
    Forum Member
    coolmp3 wrote: »
    I had a 30 day 4g sim 5gb in my ipad 4. Canceled it today and got a 10gb three for the same price. Speed is great on three and hardly notice the difference from the 4G service.

Just could not ignore the fact it's double the data for the same price and very little difference in day to day speed use

If you ring up three retentions you can get 15gb for the same price now on 30days.
    Forum Member
    jabbamk1 wrote: »
    If you ring up three retentions you can get 15gb for the same price now on 30days.

Thanks I will give that a go. I'm sure I can give them some story lol. So that would be 10GB more than EE4G for the same price plus there DC-HSDPA is to reach 80% by end of march. 4G when launched for the same price, EE need a reality check
  • jabbamk1jabbamk1 Posts: 8,942
    Forum Member
    I dont know if the deal is still on but a couple of people on this forum were able to get it recently :)
    Forum Member
    jabbamk1 wrote: »
    I dont know if the deal is still on but a couple of people on this forum were able to get it recently :)

Worth a go. Nice to have that extra data if I can so you really don't need to worry about watching that extra episode on I player:D
  • Thine WonkThine Wonk Posts: 17,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thee Austria do an unlimited LTE up to 30Mbps service with no caps at what seems to be € 24.
    http://www.drei.at/webshop/prepareSelectionTarifDetail.do?tarifId=ATS0076&snId=C72633

Vodafone Germany do 10GB for £37, which is cheaper than EE's 8GB for £56
    http://shop.vodafone.de/Shop/internet/mobile-internet-flat/

Three UK have said they won't charge extra for 4G, so I can't help thinking that Olaf is having a bit of a laugh.
    Forum Member
    Yeah just had an invite to an EE event for 4G users where we all sit in a room and he stands up the front and laughs at us for an hour.
    The invite card is titled "We saw you coming.... suckers!"
    It's 50 quid a head. Do you think I should go?
    Hahahahaha
  • mooxmoox Posts: 18,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't know anyone who has an EE 4G phone or dongle nor has anyone I know or work with mentioned that they might be interested in such a thing. That tells me all I need to know.

Neither do I. I'm betting that's because I live hundreds of miles away from the nearest LTE area so it would be utterly pointless for anyone to sign up right now, rather than a dislike of the pricing.

(unless you count the single LTE site covering the Orange call centre in Plymouth)
  • eljmayeseljmayes Posts: 1,096
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thine Wonk wrote: »
    Thee Austria do an unlimited LTE up to 30Mbps service with no caps at what seems to be € 24.
    http://www.drei.at/webshop/prepareSelectionTarifDetail.do?tarifId=ATS0076&snId=C72633

Vodafone Germany do 10GB for £37, which is cheaper than EE's 8GB for £56
    http://shop.vodafone.de/Shop/internet/mobile-internet-flat/

Three UK have said they won't charge extra for 4G, so I can't help thinking that Olaf is having a bit of a laugh.
    If Three can get their 4G coverage out to rural areas quickly and charge a reasonable fee for broadband (say as much as fibre) then that could gain them some share in that market.

As for the product, EE didn't realise that users in 4G enabled areas already get on the whole decent speeds via 3G.
    Forum Member
    moox wrote: »
    Neither do I. I'm betting that's because I live hundreds of miles away from the nearest LTE area so it would be utterly pointless for anyone to sign up right now, rather than a dislike of the pricing.

(unless you count the single LTE site covering the Orange call centre in Plymouth)

I moved now because otherwise I would end up having my current iPhone for 3 years or more.
    It was rather exciting to pop down to Plymouth and give it a test though. Very sad!