Do you still ever buy CDs or do you download all of your music now?

Comments

• Fear of FoursFear of Fours Posts: 1,004
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I still buy physical copies of music and will continue to do so for as long as I can. I may download the odd track from an album I'm not fussed about having, i.e. a soundtrack.
  • BellaroooBellarooo Posts: 2,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I buy all my songs on iTunes
  • CBFreakCBFreak Posts: 28,602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I only buy CD's.
  • 19Nick6819Nick68 Posts: 1,792
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CD's only.

I still remember the early days of PC's and the numerous aborted download efforts due to lost connections etc. Yes I know things have moved on but still.

Other than that I like to actually physically see something for handing over my cash.
  • curvybabescurvybabes Posts: 13,223
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i dont buy much music, i prefer listening to the radio but the ones i do buy are cd
  • CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,627
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I buy 3 or 4 CDs a week.

Never pay for downloads.
  • NickelbackNickelback Posts: 23,764
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't buy much these days, but when i do i like a CD, I like the art work and to read the lyrics, I'll copy it onto my ipod and keep the cd in the car..
  • DirtyhippyDirtyhippy Posts: 2,059
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am cross platform, which means I use and listen to all the main formats, LP, CD, cassette (yes cassette) and digital.

I love browsing for unusual tapes, cd's and albums at car booties. They do take up some space though.
  • darkjedimasterdarkjedimaster Posts: 18,620
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I buy cd's of my favourite rock / metal artists at the cheapest price possible & then rip them to mp3 for the rest of my playback devices. I stopped buying cd singles when they stopped including videos & made them less value for more money. If I buy a single mp3 from whatever site, then I pay for it the once, then make numerous copies, so that I have 1 for each of my devices.
  • Richard1960Richard1960 Posts: 20,336
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I buy cd's of my favourite rock / metal artists at the cheapest price possible & then rip them to mp3 for the rest of my playback devices. I stopped buying cd singles when they stopped including videos & made them less value for more money. If I buy a single mp3 from whatever site, then I pay for it the once, then make numerous copies, so that I have 1 for each of my devices.

Pretty much what i do Rock /Metal also , i love having hard copies it turns out as bruce willis found out if you have all downloaded music you do not necessarily own the rights to pass it on after you die.

As he wants to with his daughters.
  • ClareBClareB Posts: 2,597
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't buy many new releases now, but if I do I'll probably buy on itunes unless there are special editions then I'll buy the CD. A lot of songs I've been after you can't get on itunes, or certainly not the orginial recording. There's a That's Entertainment store near where I live where you can get 2 or 3 CDs for £5 so I'm always buying stuff from there. It usually works out cheaper to buy a compilation CD that has 3/4 songs you want than downloading the tracks from itunes.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,219
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Still buying Eight-Track cartridges for my In Car Memorex.
  • Esot-ericEsot-eric Posts: 1,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I never pay for downloads because they're usually in a low-quality lossy format (such as MP3). If i'm downloading, i'm pirating.

Lately i've been gradually replacing my pirated music with CDs. These i buy second-hand from Amazon for about £0.01 (plus £1.26 shipping).
  • ElectraElectra Posts: 55,660
    Forum Member
    I prefer to buy CDs & then rip them. Better quality sound.
  • riceutenriceuten Posts: 5,876
    Forum Member
    potatolegs wrote: »
    Do you still buy CDs or do you download all of your songs now?

I download very little
    I can't remember the last time I bought a CD.

I can, about 2 days ago on Ebay !
    When I was much younger I used to like getting the CD booklet as it had new photos of the star (didn't see as many celeb photos of certain stars before the web) and sometimes they had lyrics to the songs and they usually had a dedications page on the back :p.

That's really ironic, as I used to love LPs (I'm in my 40s) for the same reason, and was HORRIFIED when CDs came out that wonderful informative sleeves became a flimsy, uniformative sheet or booklet.
    Every thing is virtual these days.
    We're going to be the last generation able to purchase physical formats of any media I reckon.
    Quite possibly.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,174
    Forum Member
    Have to say that I rarely bought CDs anyway. This is because I would often find I only liked two or three of the tracks anyway, so didnt want to buy a whole album. I always did prefer to buy singles. So for a long time now, I've just bought and d/loaded a track here and a track there from online sites.
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think I have only bought one CD in the last 3 or 4 years. That was a £5 compilation box set that I found in a bargain bin in the supermarket and I keep it in the car.

All of my CDs in the house are ripped and are in a box in the attic.
  • Miss XYZMiss XYZ Posts: 14,023
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I listen to a lot of music on my phone so I download loads of songs on that. I do occasionally buy CDs but only when it's someone whose music I love - the next one I'll be buying is the Stereophonics new album when it's released next month.
  • Ancient IDTVAncient IDTV Posts: 10,122
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I bought my first music in 1986. Cassettes and vinyl albums up to about 1990, but I didn't buy many of those (About 60 in total. Still have them). Then CDs. Probably have about 300 or so. I had pretty much all the music I wanted on CD before I ever started using the internet. Have bought a few CDs since then, but they're mostly ancient jazz recordings. I occasionally buy a CD from a charity shop for 50p or so. I'd never buy music downloads.

I have ripped some of them onto my hard drive to listen to as background music when I'm online, but my CDs are in everyday use in my old music centre, and in my car. I did buy an MP3 player a few years ago, mainly for use at the gym. It conked out, and I didn't replace it. Don't really like using earphones/headphones.
  • AndrueAndrue Posts: 23,351
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Download. It's not ideal because that means it's lossy MP3 (I prefer to rip my CDs using lossless WMA) but given the way most modern albums are recorded there seems no point trying to achieve hi-fidelity. In fact the lossy nature might hide more bad than the good it loses.
  • SkycladSkyclad Posts: 3,946
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pretty much what i do Rock /Metal also , i love having hard copies it turns out as bruce willis found out if you have all downloaded music you do not necessarily own the rights to pass it on after you die.

As he wants to with his daughters.

The Bruce Willis thing was a myth I'm afraid.

http://www.theweek.co.uk/media/48852/willis-v-apple-myth-media-jumps-itunes-issue

It's still an interesting point though.
  • Richard1960Richard1960 Posts: 20,336
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Skyclad wrote: »
    The Bruce Willis thing was a myth I'm afraid.

http://www.theweek.co.uk/media/48852/willis-v-apple-myth-media-jumps-itunes-issue

It's still an interesting point though.

You look at i tunes terms and conditons who does own the copy you download as with physical CDs.

The bit about Bruice Willis suing was i think far off the mark but the general point remains true however.

Think i will stick with hard copies.:)
  • SteelEdgeSteelEdge Posts: 6,903
    Forum Member
    I buy CD's of albums from my favourite artists. If it's just an artist/band I only have a passing interest in then I will download it.
  • Pepperoni ManPepperoni Man Posts: 7,798
    Forum Member
    I still buy CDs and still buy the occasional LP as well

I download the best tracks from CD and LP to an MP3 player but that's really just for the car, train and holiday. I can't imagine ever having downloads and an MP3 player as my main source of music
  • DianaFireDianaFire Posts: 12,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not an iPod owner these days though I've had various versions of mp3 players since they came out. So pretty much everything I have is vinyl, cassette or CD, and mostly CD. Saying that, I d/ld an album to the Kindle over Christmas just to see what it would be like, and it'll do fine for journeys. I prefer the sound of CDs over the system I have at home.