James Arthur was rejected by the Voice

Comments

• rioniarionia Posts: 1,657
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SamuelW wrote: »
    The Voice series one contestants have had more Top 40 records in the UK Charts than the XFactor series one contestants. James Arthur wouldve done well in the Voice too but he'd have more credibility if he had done the Voice rather than XFactor which it a bit of a laughing stock these days.

Have they had more than series one Pop Idol contestants? (serious question, just curious)
  • LW09LW09 Posts: 3,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SamuelW wrote: »
    The Voice series one contestants have had more Top 40 records in the UK Charts than the XFactor series one contestants. James Arthur wouldve done well in the Voice too but he'd have more credibility if he had done the Voice rather than XFactor which it a bit of a laughing stock these days.

That's a stupid comparison to make. The music climate in 2004 was completely different to 2012. Back in 2004 on a talent show you had to win or make it very far and stand out in order to get a record deal. It wasn't until series 5 or 6 when you only had to appear on this kind of show and get signed.

There is also the issue of downloads. Some acts from The Voice and X Factor chart because they've released their own music via iTunes. That wasn't allowed when X Factor first started.

The fairest comparison to make would be The Voice 2012 vs The X Factor 2011/12. Any other comparison is silly. And I wouldn't say The Voice is any less of a laughing stock than X Factor.
  • Say_My_NameSay_My_Name Posts: 299
    Forum Member
    String9 wrote: »
    Their loss.
    Whatever happened to the lady that won last year?;)

Releasing an album very shortly xo.

Try harder next time <3
  • annushkaannushka Posts: 3,959
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The voice hasn't yet produced some big stars (it's had 3 seasons in America, at least 2 in France, 2 in England if I rightly understand...). I think it's making lots of money for the producers and channels as well as the judges, good exposure for the musical guests and the judges, but it has not proven it can launch a career yet.
    Maybe that day will come, but it kind of has to happen soon, or the show will only prove to be good Tv entertainment -if the ratings don't drop too much (it seems the ratings are only really good during the blind auditions, but went down afterwards, and also read that they had to cancel the tour with the finalists because of the low ticket sales in the guardian, I think).

I think James probably didn't want to say he was rejected from the voice during the process, it must have hurt.
    But the guy from the Script at least should have heard of him, he should know what happens in the UK and who is selling well. Will I Am is big worldwide, so I don't know how much attention he pays to what happens in the UK... I would expect he knows who won the X factor, but whatever.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    X Factor season one:
    Steve Brookstein no. 1 single and no. 1 album
    G4 no. 9 single and no. 1, 6 and 21 albums

The Voice season one:
    Leanne Mitchell no. 45 single
    Bo Bruce no. 69 single
    Tyler James no. 28, 38 39 singles and 47 album
  • _NiallDEE__NiallDEE_ Posts: 13,584
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I actually think Bo Bruce is going to have a longer career than James will. So while people can laugh at Leanne its not all bad for The Voice. Plus if Aleks Josh had been on X Factor he would have won. So its horses for courses.

X Factor winners appear to be cursed. Successful start to their career but its an early peak and they are never able to sustain the interest.

Bo is really making waves right now. One critic said her album was like something you would expect from Kate Bush. That's genuine praise.

BIB- what makes you think that :confused:
  • String9String9 Posts: 12,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Releasing an album very shortly xo.

Try harder next time <3

I don't have to. What is the point of her releasing anything if no one cares?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 126
    Forum Member
    Surely will I am should know who James is considering he kept him off top spot in the charts for about a month
  • fireemblemcrazefireemblemcraze Posts: 7,436
    Forum Member
    LW09 wrote: »
    That's a stupid comparison to make. The music climate in 2004 was completely different to 2012. Back in 2004 on a talent show you had to win or make it very far and stand out in order to get a record deal. It wasn't until series 5 or 6 when you only had to appear on this kind of show and get signed.

There is also the issue of downloads. Some acts from The Voice and X Factor chart because they've released their own music via iTunes. That wasn't allowed when X Factor first started.

The fairest comparison to make would be The Voice 2012 vs The X Factor 2011/12. Any other comparison is silly. And I wouldn't say The Voice is any less of a laughing stock than X Factor.

Oh my god. I love you. This is exactly what I was saying why the first season of XF and first season of the Voice shouldn't be compared (for some reason some people have thought I was defending the Voice, when friends I'm definitely NOT). It was way more difficult for a pop star to establish themselves back then compared to now. A fairer comparison is indeed this season of XF UK (so Series 9 - 2012) and first season of the Voice UK.

And how has it gone so far? James has sold a million copies. Leanne has released a really cheap, poor quality music video and none of the rest have even made it to the top 10. Tyler's records were released pre-Voice...I love Bo but she hasn't gone anywhere yet.

In terms of PR too, James was played by all radio stations. Everyone loved him. Loads of music artists say they want to collaborate with him. Ella sang on NTAs. Ella, UJ, James and Jahmene have all got record deals with really good record labels ('good' meaning high budget). Leanne has got a music vid. It's really sad to see the Voice in such a state but you only need to look at the US version of the show to see it has no music credibility whatsoever. No stars. None.
  • FanFromHollandFanFromHolland Posts: 5,987
    Forum Member
    At least they recognise a terrible singer when they hear one :p
  • fireemblemcrazefireemblemcraze Posts: 7,436
    Forum Member
    At least they recognise a terrible singer when they hear one :p

Except they didn't hear him, the producers made the decision. A very poor one at that. I think they did that because he didn't suit the mold of the Voice. You have to be passive, not passionate, and really one dimensional to be on that show.
  • annushkaannushka Posts: 3,959
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's strange that the contestants in the Voice get forgotten so easely because the format actually introduces them all very well compared to the X factor which only shows a couple of select auditions (some very good, some very bad).
    The voice gives most of the acts a full intro (a bit too sob story oriented to my taste) and a full song. Sadly for them, a couple of contestants get cut into a summary (still get some screen time, but a lot less). Most of the contestants are known to the public after the blind auditions. You'd think that it would help them boost their profile to have screentime from the start.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 312
    Forum Member
    It seems that The Voice has come out of the gate too big for its shoes.

The US Voice made similar remarks about American Idol. I'm sorry but until either versions have success rivalling Kelly Clarkson, Carrie Underwood, Leona or 1D the show remains irrelevant.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DwMhB123 wrote: »
    It seems that The Voice has come out of the gate too big for its shoes.

The US Voice made similar remarks about American Idol. I'm sorry but until either versions have success rivalling Kelly Clarkson, Carrie Underwood, Leona or 1D the show remains irrelevant.

I still don't know what The Voice are trying to achieve. On the X Factor it's clear - the next big pop star, an international global singer. But The Voice is looking for ... the best voice, I guess. Often great singers don't make very good pop stars, so I think their objective is vague.

Comparisons with the X Factor and references to it don't help their case if they're trying to be different. It just emphasises that the X Factor is the benchmark of singing talent shows in the UK.
  • LW09LW09 Posts: 3,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jackbell wrote: »
    I still don't know what The Voice are trying to achieve. On the X Factor it's clear - the next big pop star, an international global singer. But The Voice is looking for ... the best voice, I guess. Often great singers don't make very good pop stars, so I think their objective is vague.

Comparisons with the X Factor and references to it don't help their case if they're trying to be different. It just emphasises that the X Factor is the benchmark of singing talent shows in the UK.

When the ratings started to nosedive and they started to up the X Factor-esque production values, I even believe Jessie J said something along the lines of it not all being about the voice. If one of the judges say that then the concept of the show is flawed.
  • Diceroll_81Diceroll_81 Posts: 904
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I think the Voice US producers changed their tune last season when they seemed to pull out all the stops to get that girl (Cassadee?) to win. All of the judges started yapping on about her 'star quality' (translation: she was good looking) and they introduced that 'Itunes x 10' bonus as well. Cassadee wasn't one of the best singers at all but they were desperate to get a winner with commercial appeal.
  • Sun Tzu.Sun Tzu. Posts: 19,064
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Voice is utter rubbish as a show and does not compare to the X Factor. The X Factor is just a big event really and outshines the Voice clearly.

But James Arthur really is poor and X Factor will want to find a better singer this year than James Arthur.
  • Hit Em Up StyleHit Em Up Style Posts: 12,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    _NiallDEE_ wrote: »
    BIB- what makes you think that :confused:

Aleks would have been a wet dream for Simon. $$$$$$$ all the way.

Out of how many series have X Factor produced a global star?

One Direction are the only genuine global success and they didn't win.

Leona Lewis despite what her fans would like to believe is a one hit wonder around the globe.

So X Factor is hardly the signing light of new talent.

Bo Bruce is making more waves on the music blogs than anyone on X Factor has.

James had a good first single, as usually the case, but is just another Matt Kardle in waiting. The problem with X Factor is that by the time the next series comes, the previous acts are forgotten. So its very difficult for them to sustain success.
  • Sun Tzu.Sun Tzu. Posts: 19,064
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Aleks would have been a wet dream for Simon. $$$$$$$ all the way.

Out of how many series have X Factor produced a global star?

One Direction are the only genuine global success and they didn't win.

Leona Lewis despite what her fans would like to believe is a one hit wonder around the globe.

So X Factor is hardly the signing light of new talent.

Bo Bruce is making more waves on the music blogs than anyone on X Factor has.

James had a good first single, as usually the case, but is just another Matt Kardle in waiting. The problem with X Factor is that by the time the next series comes, the previous acts are forgotten. So its very difficult for them to sustain success.
    X Factor has had a good number of acts who have went on to sell a lot of singles and albums. The Voice was terrible in the first series and I seriously can't tell you the name of the winner but they aren't doing that good are they?
  • Hit Em Up StyleHit Em Up Style Posts: 12,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sun Tzu. wrote: »
    X Factor has had a good number of acts who have went on to sell a lot of singles and albums. The Voice was terrible in the first series and I seriously can't tell you the name of the winner but they aren't doing that good are they?

The X factor did well at marketing certain acts for a quick buck.

Not success. A few have lasted longer than others but X Factor has a terrible reputation for dropping winners from record deals... hung out to dry is the words I would use.

Like I said. Many X Factor stars would kill to be getting the reviews Bo is currently getting. She has on several occasions now been compared to Kate Bush. You don't get higher praise than that. Sometimes credibility is more important.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When the ratings started to nosedive and they started to up the X Factor-esque production values, I even believe Jessie J said something along the lines of it not all being about the voice. If one of the judges say that then the concept of the show is flawed.

Not sure it was her, but wasn't someone chosen over another because they were younger? In other words the quality of the voice came secondary over being marketable.

Like I say; that confuses me over what The Voice is supposed to be. I still don't know.
  • _NiallDEE__NiallDEE_ Posts: 13,584
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why has this thread turned into a Voice bashing thread? They weren't even bashing XF in the article given in the OP :confused:

All I'll say is that what I like about The Voice is that it's not centered around marketability and is actually about 'the voice'. Fair enough, XF produces bigger stars, but I find it much more enjoyable watching a show with people who can actually sing, than a show with people who are 'current' and 'marketable' but can barely sing. The original premise of these talent shows was purely entertainment, yes there was a record deal given at the end, but people rarely made it big apart from a few exceptions. It's only recently where people have started to expect these shows to produce big stars. I think it was pretty obvious to the coaches and everyone else that Leanne wouldn't become a global superstar, however at the end of the day she had the best voice and rightfully won. I really couldn't care less what happens to the contestants after the show, I hate the fixation on marketability and as a matter of fact I've never bought any singles or albums from any XF alumni. That's why I prefer The Voice to X Factor.
  • abrightyzabrightyz Posts: 24,559
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    what i don't like about the Voice is the axing orgy even before we can even warm up to the acts...
  • _elly001_elly001 Posts: 11,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    abrightyz wrote: »
    what i don't like about the Voice is the axing orgy even before we can even warm up to the acts...

That was my issue with it too. I didn't feel like I got to know any of the contestants. It all felt so rushed and anti-climatic, and too dependent on who the judges wanted to put through.
  • String9String9 Posts: 12,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I think there will be a lot of changes in their next series. That line of it being just about the voice will be dropped I'm sure.;)