Alan Carr's Grand National Specstacular - Channel 4 April 5th, 9pm

soapfan_1973soapfan_1973 Posts: 3,624
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Much as I love the Alan Carr show and find most of his appearances on other shows quite amusing I can't help feel this one off to celebrate Channel 4 getting the Grand National will be a complete train wreck.

A group of comedians and other showbiz ppl who by the looks of things have no connection to horse racing at all will be discussing the race (possibly) and generally larking about whilst tryin to show Channel 4 made a good decision in buying the rights to this years race.

Jonathan Ross, Paddy McGuinness, Kimberley Walsh, Louis Walsh, James Nesbitt, Abbey Clancy, Rylan Clark, Miranda Hart and Alex Brooker join him for some horse-themed studio games.

Music is from national treasures Madness.

There are also some special links from a day at the Cheltenham races with Alan and Russell Brand, including a chance encounter with Clare Balding, plus the biggest ever celebrity sweepstake involving not just the studio guests but a host of other famous faces.

Comments

• BigOrangeBigOrange Posts: 59,653
    Forum Member
    It's a slightly odd way to mark it. But they had to do something big to signal the switch of channels. The Grand National is strongly associated with the BBC and the concern will be that viewers won't move across to its new home.

There's also a documentary and Come Dine With Me special airing.
  • soapfan_1973soapfan_1973 Posts: 3,624
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Channel 4 do have a good history of horse racing coverage but this just smacks of being a cheap way to take a dig at the BBC. Nice to have Claire Balding involved as she really do know her stuff and although long associated with the BBC for sport she is one of the top freelance sport presenters. Just hope John McC is nowhere to be seen
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 527
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    anything with carr in it is unwatchable.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 69
    Forum Member
    Channel 4 do have a good history of horse racing coverage but this just smacks of being a cheap way to take a dig at the BBC. Nice to have Claire Balding involved as she really do know her stuff and although long associated with the BBC for sport she is one of the top freelance sport presenters. Just hope John McC is nowhere to be seen
    he won't be.
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    I agree that it's just a way to shoehorn in a theme for another show.

If it's anything like the last one then it's just celebs getting pissed and playing stupid games.
  • Hassaan13Hassaan13 Posts: 41,968
    Forum Member
    Is it another one of those 2-hour marathons? The New Year's one was good but can't think of how many he will do. He did TWO Summer Specstacular's last year. Channel 4 must rely on Alan a lot.
  • pete137pete137 Posts: 18,342
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No Melanie Sykes getting pissed this time then ?
  • bearbum72bearbum72 Posts: 781
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Everytime there is something kinda big on c4 they roll out him with his stupid "spectacular" rubish. Tacky yawn tacky. i will be watching....................................................................................PAINT DRYING.
  • Rowan HedgeRowan Hedge Posts: 3,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When is this utter morons 15 minutes of games going to be over?
    Forum Member
    I think there would have to be a major overhaul of channel 4 to change things. Out of the three main chat shows his is by far the worst on the guest front. Usually filled with reality tv/talent show and other C4 d list 'celebs'.
  • tangsmantangsman Posts: 3,661
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sounds a load of manure.
  • Jason CJason C Posts: 31,152
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dancc wrote: »
    It's a slightly odd way to mark it. But they had to do something big to signal the switch of channels. The Grand National is strongly associated with the BBC and the concern will be that viewers won't move across to its new home.

C4 are also going to be doing an all-day thing on the day of the race itself by sandwiching a special Grand National edition of Sunday Brunch between The Morning Line and the start of the actual coverage itself.

Rather smacks of overkill for a sporting event that isn't remotely as big a deal as it used to be.
  • shadowplayshadowplay Posts: 102
    Forum Member
    Alan Carr is too repetitive to watch these days and this largely due to overkill by TV companies. In short bursts he can be funny but overall his humour for the majority never works for me.. overall viewers still tune in to watch the show so he must be doing something right.
  • walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,564
    Forum Member
    When is this utter morons 15 minutes of games going to be over?

15 minutes of games?:D
  • mattlambmattlamb Posts: 4,471
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Of those guests mentioned, only Jimmy Nesbitt is interested in horse-racing that I know of.

He owns the top chaser Riverside Theatre
  • jw2011jw2011 Posts: 840
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I like Alan Carr but don't watch him regularly any more but every time I do it seems to just be the same guests on a cycle. It's either The X Factor judges together or on their own.
  • Pink KnightPink Knight Posts: 24,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He has bigger teeth than some of the horses.
    Forum Member
    Anyone else find it a little unsettling to gamble on which charity gets a donation?
  • Hassaan13Hassaan13 Posts: 41,968
    Forum Member
    I completely forgot this was on.

Not that I'm watching it now.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    this is bloody awful
    Forum Member
    Miranda had to pull out so that's a plus :p
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    I'm getting used to it being awful,,,i actually chuckled a bit:o
  • smokencheesesmokencheese Posts: 2,176
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All my favourites ..Corden, Clancy, Ross:rolleyes:

Even morons would surely switch this off.

Shame on Alan Carr, cos as a standup he's great.
  • treefr0gtreefr0g Posts: 23,596
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have to say that Kimberley makes a very good presenter. I think we will see a lot more of her.
  • FroodFrood Posts: 13,180
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    rhumble wrote: »
    this is bloody awful

Alan carr's in it.;

You should have known.