Why limit referendums to the EU

alan29alan29 Posts: 34,639
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I would like one on NHS changes
And another on benefit changes
These are things that really impact on people. And for the life of me, I don't remember getting a chance to vote on them at the election.

Comments

• woot_whoowoot_whoo Posts: 18,030
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    alan29 wrote: »
    These are things that really impact on people. And for the life of me, I don't remember getting a chance to vote on them at the election.

I'm all for greater democracy and the participation of the people, but that's just not the system we have here. We have a representative democracy in which we elect politicians based on the manifestos their parties circulate prior to the election. We simply then have to trust them to enact the policies which they've promised.

Perhaps under a different system, we could have a greater involvement in politics (maybe even online participation on issues).
  • Ethel_FredEthel_Fred Posts: 34,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It could be done like The X Factor or The Voice and have a phone in. Done right the phone charges could pay for everything

As for referendums - they are for when the government wants to do something but doesn't want to take the responsibility for doing it - but will take the glory.
  • alan29alan29 Posts: 34,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    woot_whoo wrote: »
    I'm all for greater democracy and the participation of the people, but that's just not the system we have here. We have a representative democracy in which we elect politicians based on the manifestos their parties circulate prior to the election. We simply then have to trust them to enact the policies which they've promised.

Perhaps under a different system, we could have a greater involvement in politics (maybe even online participation on issues).

Why is the somewhat remote matter of EU membership up for a referendum then, and not the much more immediate NHS/benefits changes?
    Why have one at all?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why is the somewhat remote matter of EU membership up for a referendum then, and not the much more immediate NHS/benefits changes?
    Why have one at all?

Because it's a 'hot button' issue which distracts people from things that will actually affect them. The tabloids have made the EU a bogeyman which people can blame for everything, and its a popular target for the right wing (and right wing groups like UKIP).
  • WhiteFangWhiteFang Posts: 3,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    UKIP say they will give referendums on many wide ranging issues.People can then choose the issues / policies they want instead of the EU or establishment / pc brigade groups making the decisions.
  • thomas painthomas pain Posts: 2,318
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    what you want is true democracy. the elite will never let you have that.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    WhiteFang wrote: »
    UKIP say they will give referendums on many wide ranging issues.People can then choose the policies they want instead of the EU or establishment / pc brigade groups choosing what they like.

Really, which referendums have they promised and where have they promised them?
  • OvertheUnderOvertheUnder Posts: 4,764
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ethel_Fred wrote: »
    It could be done like The X Factor or The Voice and have a phone in. Done right the phone charges could pay for everything

As for referendums - they are for when the government wants to do something but doesn't want to take the responsibility for doing it - but will take the glory.

What a good idea!!!:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Really, which referendums have they promised and where have they promised them?

Read UKIPs manifesto.Id say Switzerland has the sort of thing similar.
  • Dark 1Dark 1 Posts: 4,088
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A referendum based government sounds good in theory, but with the inherent selfishness of the human animal, few would ever vote for anything that doesn't benefit them.

If it only benefits or even allows a minority to continue to live, could we be certain a public vote wouldn't throw them to the dogs? Or if it were an investment for the greater good or the future benefit of mankind, but which financially disadvantages us all, could it be certain a public vote wouldn't veto it? What sort of society would we have then where all decisions are based on selfishness and whatever Rupert Murdoch tells us?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Read UKIPs manifesto.Id say Switzerland has the sort of thing similar.

I've looked at it before and don't recall anything about referendums. Could you direct me to the relevant sections or even the issues for which referendums have been proposed?
  • razorboyrazorboy Posts: 5,831
    Forum Member
    Maybe those who want referendums should pay for them. I thought we were supposed to be saving money.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've looked at it before and don't recall anything about referendums. Could you direct me to the relevant sections or even the issues for which referendums have been proposed?

You havent read it throroughly enough.They advocate local referenda as well as national.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    razorboy wrote: »
    Maybe those who want referendums should pay for them. I thought we were supposed to be saving money.

We can pay for them out of the money we wont be giving the EU.
  • solenoidsolenoid Posts: 15,495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Referenda should really only be used for changes in the way we are ruled. The NHS, as much as it is admired, is not about governing.
  • tghe-retfordtghe-retford Posts: 26,449
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • razorboyrazorboy Posts: 5,831
    Forum Member
    We can pay for them out of the money we wont be giving the EU.

along with everything else you are planning to spend it on and do not forget that you can not spend money twice, that there is no guarantee of accruing all the savings or that there will not be unplanned for costs direct or indirect
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You havent read it throroughly enough.They advocate local referenda as well as national.

Evidently not - could you direct me to the relevant sections or even the issues for which referendums have been proposed?
  • Glyn WGlyn W Posts: 5,819
    Forum Member

Only so they don't have to think of any policies themselves.
  • ChizzlefaceChizzleface Posts: 8,221
    Forum Member
    General Elections act as referenda usually - we only have them on major issues like changing the voting system or withdrawing from a pretty major alliance.

If you disagree with anything this Government has done on general policy then you'll have the chance to vote them out in 2015.
  • alan29alan29 Posts: 34,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    General Elections act as referenda usually - we only have them on major issues like changing the voting system or withdrawing from a pretty major alliance.

If you disagree with anything this Government has done on general policy then you'll have the chance to vote them out in 2015.

Too late. The Tories specifically promised no top-down changes to the NHS. A promise that they promptly broke, against the best advice of most professionals. General elections are not at all like referenda, not at all.
    They are insisting on local referenda when a council wants to increase council tax above their arbitrary level ..... why not central government decisions too?
  • smudges dadsmudges dad Posts: 36,989
    Forum Member
    I want a referendum on whether the plural of referendum is referenda or referendums.
  • glasshalffullglasshalffull Posts: 22,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    1) People will moan if the X Factor starts later to accommodate a referendum broadcast.

2) Barely 30% can be bothered to get off their asses to vote for the people run their schools, roads, bin collection...why would they bother for other issues

3) See 1 above

4) See 2 above

5) They are very expensive

6) See 1 above

7) See 5 above

8) See 1 above
  • flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member

You would like a referendum on the NHS? Like a yes no?

I vote yes if that is any help.

It's not how our system works. you elect a government and empower them to make decisions. The criteria for what is worthy of a referendum is complicated but one of them is that it is something so big it binds future governments.

And you really don't want a referendum on benefits. time and time again we see that the public take a very harsh line.