Options

Best Cyberman Television Story?

FiregazerFiregazer Posts: 5,888
Forum Member
Only included the major Cybermen stories.

Best Cyberman Television Story? 77 votes

The Tenth Planet
3% 3 votes
The Moonbase
0% 0 votes
The Tomb of the Cybermen
27% 21 votes
The Wheel In Space
0% 0 votes
The Invasion
9% 7 votes
Revenge of the Cybermen
3% 3 votes
Earthshock
28% 22 votes
Attack of the Cybermen
1% 1 vote
Silver Nemesis
1% 1 vote
Rise of the Cybermen / The Age of Steel
11% 9 votes
Army of Ghosts / Doomsday
5% 4 votes
The Next Doctor
1% 1 vote
Closing Time
1% 1 vote
Nightmare in Silver
5% 4 votes

Comments

• Options
    LivingDestinyLivingDestiny Posts: 714
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Earthshock, 100%. Season 19 was a fantastic season, my favourite of the classic series and Earthshock was the best story from this. That cliffhanger in part 1! Apparently no one saw it coming; I appreciate that it was a genuine shock at the time.

Just seen the Dalek thread. You should do one for The Master also. That will be a tough choice.
  • Options
    16caerhos16caerhos Posts: 2,533
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It has to be Earthshock. Not just the best Cyberman story, but a fantastic story in general that has never been topped, and I doubt it ever will be.
  • Options
    Whovian1109Whovian1109 Posts: 1,812
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I voted for Attack of the Cybermen. I've only seen that, Earthshock and Tomb of the classic Who but I really enjoyed Attack. The only Colin Baker episode I've seen but he looks to be a great Doctor and I loved the way the story shifted and how the character we all thought was a bad guy the entire way through ended up being a good guy. As the Doctor says:

"I don't think I've ever misjudged anyone so badly."

And there was even a reference to An Unearthly Child :D
  • Options
    Muttley76Muttley76 Posts: 97,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not the biggest fan of the cybermen,but prefer their early stories in general. I voted for The Invasion, I just wish there was more of the story intact.
  • Options
    andy1231andy1231 Posts: 5,100
    Forum Member
    Tomb - a classic story from a classic era.
  • Options
    YosheeYoshee Posts: 407
    Forum Member
    I won't vote as I've only seen Tomb of the Cybermen from the Classic era, which was great, but as far as new series episodes go I'd vote for Rise of the Cybermen/The Age of Steel, purely because it seems to be the only one to explore the actual implications and such of the Cybermen - i.e. they're us but they're not us as all emotions have been removed, all memories etc... you get what I'm saying. I remember being really creeped out the first few times I watched those episodes. Sure I was younger then, but still, the episodes are still creepy if nothing else.

Honestly my favourite episodes with Cybermen from the new series would be Army of Ghosts/Doomsday, but come on, they're only really that good because of the Cybermen vs Daleks concept... the Daleks make the episodes, which is why I wouldn't vote for them as the best Cybermen story.

As for the others, The Next Doctor was meh overall, Closing Time was good with Craig and Stormageddon but the Cybermen were kinda crap in it, and Nightmare in Silver had great redesigned Cybermen - they were actually somewhat scary but I felt the story fell slightly flat, maybe that's just me though. Matt Smith's acting was brilliant though.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 903
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nightmare in Silver with a HUGE, HUGE distance. I was suprised that a Cybermen story can be so good.

Closing Time is average.

All other Cybermen stories (since 2005) are too down-to-earth, too action-oriented and unimaginative IMO. That's why I dislike series 2 so much. Doctor Who should be fantasy, not action series.

I haven't watched classic series, so I can't rate these episodes.
  • Options
    Sniffle774Sniffle774 Posts: 20,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    16caerhos wrote: »
    It has to be Earthshock. Not just the best Cyberman story, but a fantastic story in general that has never been topped, and I doubt it ever will be.

Plus in a day before spoilers....THAT end of episode reveal. I still vividly remember it all these later.
  • Options
    bennythedipbennythedip Posts: 2,347
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I voted earthshock.tomb would be 2nd after that you are struggling. anyone not seen the tenth planet who is waiting for the DVD is in for a disappointment. as for the nu who stories. Oh dear :yawn:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,246
    Forum Member
    Rise of the Cybermen / The Age of Steel
  • Options
    MirelaMirela Posts: 1,509
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    After a bit of a think (I like all the Cybermen stories I've seen), I went for Earthshock :)
  • Options
    doublefourdoublefour Posts: 6,024
    Forum Member
    As a story that shows the concept of the Cybermen from an origins aspect, I go for The Rise of the Cybermen/The Age of Steel. Ths Tomb of the Cybermen and Earthshock are superb pa,y tightly plotted efforts also.
  • Options
    MulettMulett Posts: 9,057
    Forum Member
    Without a doubt, Earthshock.

Truly shocking and grisly (people puddles!), fantastically creepy from the beginning - and the brave sacrifice of one of the Doctor's companions.

Just amazing TV.