Options

Finding an old friend - how?

IggymanIggyman Posts: 8,021
Forum Member
My mother is trying to track down an old friend who she hasn't seen for a while yet who has moved home to another house in the same town (asking the occupants of his old house as to his new location didn't get anywhere).

The only information that she has is as follows:

a) His first and last name
b) The town where he last resided
c) The name of his former employer (who he only left a few weeks ago yet who won't give out any personal info for obvious reasons)
d) Where his parents live (London!) but no first names of his parents
e) The fact that he recently went to America on holiday (my mother has spoken to his ex-colleagues who are all saying that he hasn't gone on holiday there but to live there, which my mother finds really strange).

There is nothing illicit or 'stalker-ish' about this, it's just my mother trying to get in touch with a friend - the fact that he hasn't recently been in touch with my mother greatly worries her and she is really concerned that something bad has happened to him.

I've tried a few online 'people search' sites (such as 192.com) but no luck - tried googling his name, etc, etc.

Can anyone advise please? This would greatly help my mother as it's worrying her silly.

Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    bob187bob187 Posts: 1,280
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    While his former employer will not give out personal details, they may be prepared to forward a letter onto him - has you mum asked them to do this?
  • Options
    ElanorElanor Posts: 13,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The most logical thing would seem to be to go through the recent employer. No, they won't be able to give out any details, but they will be able to contact the friend and pass on your mum's details, and a message to say that she's trying to get in touch.
  • Options
    JulzeiJulzei Posts: 4,209
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My mum wanted to get in contact with an old friend who moved to Australia so she put a letter in the local newspaper asking if anyone knew what happened to her, someone contacted her now they're back in touch.
  • Options
    Babe RainbowBabe Rainbow Posts: 34,349
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bob187 wrote: »
    While his former employer will not give out personal details, they may be prepared to forward a letter onto him - has you mum asked them to do this?
    Elanor wrote: »
    The most logical thing would seem to be to go through the recent employer. No, they won't be able to give out any details, but they will be able to contact the friend and pass on your mum's details, and a message to say that she's trying to get in touch.

This might be the situation with the new people in the house too. I would be surprised if they don't have any forwarding details - although if the friend moved years ago they might have thrown away the scrap of paper with the info on. But they might be prepared to pass on a message.

Your mum could put an ad in the local paper or even ask them to run a little story about how she is searching for her old friend. Difficult though, it could draw attention to the friend that he wouldn't want.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Some very nice ideas, thanks all. Keep 'em coming. :D
  • Options
    topcat3topcat3 Posts: 3,109
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    facebook? - or if he is too old for facebook his children/grandchildren on facebook

send a letter to his old address. If he is still in the UK he may have that thing set up with Royal Mail where they can automatically forward for 6 months. Or the new people may be forwarding but just wary or giving out info to your mother
  • Options
    Joey BoswellJoey Boswell Posts: 25,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Newspaper ad in the local paper might be a good idea.
  • Options
    MaxatoriaMaxatoria Posts: 17,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Visit the council offices and check the electorial register but if they have gone abroad then its really going to get hard to track someone down
  • Options
    gulliverfoylegulliverfoyle Posts: 6,318
    Forum Member
    knock on every door

might take a while
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Y'know, I hadn't thought of that .........
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 165
    Forum Member
    Google findermonkey.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 384
    Forum Member
    Take daytrips visiting towns and cities and shout their name. Someone will propably end up knowing who you are looking for eventually or if lucky they will see you and enquire what you want.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,856
    Forum Member
    Do you have an address for the parents? Again, they might be willing to forward a letter on or you might be able to get a phone number for them?