Is Corrie starting to flag...

AuntieSoapAuntieSoap Posts: 2,074
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I've been a life long Corrie fan and had been really enjoying the show since early 2010 when it emerged from a period of relative hibernation.

2013 has been a dreadful year behind the scenes with characters vanishing. Now we are about to see Sylvia do a similarly out of character disappearing act (hope Cole gets well soon).

Meanwhile, the current storylines, apart from Hayley's illness, have been weak. The Tracy/Rob V Peter/Karla thing is contrived, the 'Play the White Man' nonsense was contrived and the fallout from Nick and David's crash was abysmal. Gail's reaction was utterly lacking.

Following the behind the scenes problems and change over of EP the show seems to be flagging a bit... agree?

Comments

• Last RequestLast Request Posts: 2,975
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The ratings say otherwise.
  • AuntieSoapAuntieSoap Posts: 2,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The ratings say otherwise.

Absolutely and I'm not saying the show is on it's last legs... but I feel it is fraying a bit.

Ratings say nothing about quality per se!
  • soapmadsoapmad Posts: 1,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No. Think it's good at the mo .
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AuntieSoap wrote: »
    Absolutely and I'm not saying the show is on it's last legs... but I feel it is fraying a bit.

Ratings say nothing about quality per se!

Corrie is on fire at present the quality and everybody talking about the show proves the ratings reflect how good the show is.
  • Agent FAgent F Posts: 40,288
    Forum Member
    I certainly don't think it's firing on all cylinders at the moment but it has been worse.

I still find it quite watchable but I do have a huge question mark hanging over Stuart Blackburn. I can't say I've been thrilled by some of the story decisions he's made so far, with the 'racism' plot proving to be a major misstep IMO.

It is doing well in the ratings though, that is true. It was comfortably ahead of its nearest rival last night.
  • Ice dragon1Ice dragon1 Posts: 19,558
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Corrie is on fire at present the quality and everybody talking about the show proves the ratings reflect how good the show is.

Who are all these people talking about it I don't hear anyone really talk about any soaps at the moment. And the OP is right it is flagging at the moment.
    Forum Member
    Who are all these people talking about it I don't hear anyone really talk about any soaps at the moment. And the OP is right it is flagging at the moment.

Do you even watch it? :confused:
  • Bonny1Bonny1 Posts: 8,502
    Forum Member
    Ratings simply mean, the same people tune in every evening, regardless of the storyline...

I agree with the OP.. it's pretty dire viewing at the moment, however, I TOO still tune in...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,359
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm finding it pretty boring.

The David plot has been ok at times but also ridiculous at times. This story line is gonna go on and on and on. When David does a DNA test I am expecting the results to be 'inconclusive' so they can carry on with it.

The Peter / Carla / Rob / Tracyluv story line has been good at times but I'm sick of Rob and Tracyluv. Peter and Rob winding each other up every week is not even a story is it? It looks like they are moving on from that for now though.

Then there is the Chesney and Katy tedium:mad: Awful characters who should stay in the background.
  • Bonny1Bonny1 Posts: 8,502
    Forum Member
    Tom_Willis wrote: »
    I'm finding it pretty boring.

The David plot has been ok at times but also ridiculous at times. This story line is gonna go on and on and on. When David does a DNA test I am expecting the results to be 'inconclusive' so they can carry on with it.

The Peter / Carla / Rob / Tracyluv story line has been good at times but I'm sick of Rob and Tracyluv. Peter and Rob winding each other up every week is not even a story is it? It looks like they are moving on from that for now though.

Then there is the Chesney and Katy tedium:mad: Awful characters who should stay in the background.

AAww gawd... can that happen in a DNA test?!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,359
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bonny1 wrote: »
    AAww gawd... can that happen in a DNA test?!

I think so. They can say that 'David can't be excluded as the father of ...'
  • dancing.queendancing.queen Posts: 14,090
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think it's great at the moment. There's a nice amount of humour as well which is always nice. Corrie is the best soap for humour, it's never too forced (unlike EastEnders with Kim).
  • Ice dragon1Ice dragon1 Posts: 19,558
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Agent F wrote: »
    Do you even watch it? :confused:

Ok sit down for this Agent but I do sometimes :o Just don't tell my BBC fans :D
  • big danbig dan Posts: 7,878
    Forum Member
    Certainly not at it's best but on the whole it's watchable enough. Blackburns style is like a very odd mix of faux grittiness and sensationalism (ie not character based). I think his era may end up similar to Kim Crowthers. A lot of that was bland but on the other hand Carla (my personal favourite) was at her best during that period. It's odd how showrunners can get some things so right but others so wrong.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 67,320
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Corrie is unbelievably dire at the moment! The Racism garbage, Tina and her boring problems, David rubbish revenge plot, the Rob/Tracey vs Peter thing need i say more and the watered down Karl plot have been very very weak!

But like someone has stated the ratings are good so ITV wont really give to much of a toss about the quality!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Corrie lost me as a regular viewer about 2 or 3 years ago. I dip in & out but very little interests me. I think it now has the most uninteresting cast of characters in soap.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    big dan wrote: »
    Certainly not at it's best but on the whole it's watchable enough. Blackburns style is like a very odd mix of faux grittiness and sensationalism (ie not character based). I think his era may end up similar to Kim Crowthers. A lot of that was bland but on the other hand Carla (my personal favourite) was at her best during that period. It's odd how showrunners can get some things so right but others so wrong.

I agree it's still watchable... but I feel as against this time last year it's lacking those unmissable storylines. I know 2013 has been the ultimate nightmare year for the bosses, but the show is currently lacking an unmissable hook... Kirsty was their last "eveyones talking about it" moment. Emmerdale has had it with the Gennie story, but Corrie's lacking any of those right now. They need that impact badly coming into autumn.

I mean all of this in terms of my being a viewer, not where they are at with viewing figures, or awards etc...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Corrie lost me as a regular viewer about 2 or 3 years ago. I dip in & out but very little interests me. I think it now has the most uninteresting cast of characters in soap.

This I disagree with. I think Corrie has a great mix of archetypes and generational mix. Racial diversity needs to be addressed in a real and character driven way.

If I was Stuart B, I would look at introducing a new family of strongly written and performed characters who happen to fit the racial diversity gap. Then I would absolutely refuse to give them any storyline that has anything to do with race so that they can be well established characters above all else.

They achieved that with Kirsty. Sadly of course Natalie Gumede couldn't stay with the show as Corrie baddies always get their comeuppance... except for TBarlow
  • barlowconnorbarlowconnor Posts: 38,120
    Forum Member
    soapmad wrote: »
    No. Think it's good at the mo .

Me too. I like most of the stories.
    Forum Member
    AuntieSoap wrote: »
    I agree it's still watchable... but I feel as against this time last year it's lacking those unmissable storylines. I know 2013 has been the ultimate nightmare year for the bosses, but the show is currently lacking an unmissable hook... Kirsty was their last "eveyones talking about it" moment. Emmerdale has had it with the Gennie story, but Corrie's lacking any of those right now. They need that impact badly coming into autumn.

I still think that will be the Hayley storyline. It's been handled fantastically so far IMO.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    big dan wrote: »

What nonsense. PC whole tenure was built on grittiness and sensationalism also giving Deirdre and Gail personally transplants turning them into comedy is a insult to the character's history's.

The ratings are better then ever. LN has been sacked from Eastenders for low ratings and problems backstage because those things are important, you need a good working relationship between the actors and the boss for example Ben Price and John Michie are happy how their current storylines are developing..
  • davey_waveydavey_wavey Posts: 27,406
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I still think Corrie is very good. The only thing that has let it down recently is the awful racism storyline - one of the worst stories ever in soap! It was absolutely dreadful... how did anyone think it would be a good storyline? :confused: Awful stuff.

Everything else has been great though. There is a danger that they will drag the David/Kylie/Nick plot out for eternity though which would be a real let down. It's been a great storyline so far, but I have a bad feeling that Stuart Blackburn will drag it out forever which would be a real disappointment. He made storylines drag in Emmerdale... since Kate Oates took over, there has been a notable shift in pace as she seems to like moving stories on apace which is how soaps should work.
  • dulliredullire Posts: 20,205
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it's still in a strong position at the moment thanks to Collinson leaving the show in a strong position.

The Hayley story is being handled brilliantly, unfortunately Stephanie has had to pull out for the time being with ill health but there's nothing the show can do about that and I don't think that'll take away from the story.

The Platt who's the daddy is being paced well, inevitably it has a few plot holes but overall it's an entertaining one and all the actors involved are great. It involves and affects a lot of characters which is also a plus. Yes Tina has been shoehorned into this story as well (She found out about Ty's abuse this time last year too) but she's leaving so make the most of her. :p

The Karl story is coming to a climax and the ending doesn't look like it'll be disappointing.

Blackburn hasn't been afraid to wield the axe and bringing back characters like Liz, Todd and Barry is a good move.

It'll be interesting to see where the show is a year from now because Blackburn's plots haven't been great thus far.
  • Dr.FeverDr.Fever Posts: 459
    Forum Member
    I have watched Corrie for 30 years, it has had it's ups and downs but the past 12 months have been so depressing. There are now too many poor actors - Nick, Sean, Dev, Fiz, Kirk, Chesney and most of the younger actors. I like Corrie when they have dramatic storylines, but now all the stories are miserable and most scenes involve the same arguments over and over again.
    It's a shame as I have always been a big Corrie fan, but now I feel like I am just watching it out of habit. I don't feel like I enjoy it or look forward to episodes like I do with other tv shows.

I really hope I start to find it entertaining again soon,
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 362
    Forum Member
    What I'd like is for the racism plot, Tina's issues, DNA and the Karl storyline to be cleared up quickly so we get some more interesting storylines, and I hope we have a good Christmas.