Options

Connecting old tellies to Virgin set-top box. Problems.

2»

Comments

• Options
    ennui 57ennui 57 Posts: 1,176
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DazerUK wrote: »
    What kind of Virgin set-top-box do you have?

Don't some of the older types have two SCART outputs? One for connecting to the TV and the other for connecting to a recording device for archieving purposes. Maybe you have connected to the wrong SCART output.

Thanks for the suggestion.It does have two scart sockets,

but both are clearly labelled (one labelled VCR, the other labelled Tv)

Ironically, since I first posted, I haven't had much time to play around with it.

But I would like to thank everyone who has replied, and will bear all your suggestions in mind.

Thanks again from a grateful newby! :)
  • Options
    AidanLunnAidanLunn Posts: 5,320
    Forum Member
    DazerUK wrote: »
    What kind of Virgin set-top-box do you have?

Don't some of the older types have two SCART outputs? One for connecting to the TV and the other for connecting to a recording device for archieving purposes. Maybe you have connected to the wrong SCART output.

Rubbish. Both output the same PAL colour signals, it's just that one also has RGB added (for the TV, VCRs usually can't accept RGB).

So either way, the TV should work fine with the SCART connection.
  • Options
    Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,528
    Forum Member
    AidanLunn wrote: »
    Rubbish. Both output the same PAL colour signals, it's just that one also has RGB added (for the TV, VCRs usually can't accept RGB).

So either way, the TV should work fine with the SCART connection.

Except the VCR SCART is an INPUT, and while it outputs Composite video and sound (as you say, VCR's don't accept RGB as there would be no point whatsoever) it only accepts a control INPUT, it doesn't provide a control OUTPUT as the TV SCART socket does, so you need to manually select SCART on the TV.