• Options
    Shawn_LunnShawn_Lunn Posts: 9,353
    Forum Member
    Brilliant, thanks for posting this.
  • Options
    adams66adams66 Posts: 3,945
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love things like this - fascinating stuff. Thanks for posting the link.
    It's amazing how much was crammed into a relatively small studio, especially considering the sheer size of the cameras in those days.
  • Options
    chuffnobblerchuffnobbler Posts: 10,772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Glorious, wonderful stuff!

This shows just how tough the job of a designer, director, camera operator (etc) could be. Amazing. So interesting to see that Ian and Barbara's classrooms are two halves of the same set, so the same camera could be used.

Should "roundels" now be called "indentations" ?

This is Doctor Who in all its raw and original glory. Reading threads here on DS that try to sort out the continuity of River Song's story ... they can naff off ... THIS is where it's at.

Fifty years ago today! :D
  • Options
    solarpenguinsolarpenguin Posts: 488
    Forum Member
    Glorious, wonderful stuff!

This shows just how tough the job of a designer, director, camera operator (etc) could be. Amazing. So interesting to see that Ian and Barbara's classrooms are two halves of the same set, so the same camera could be used.

Should "roundels" now be called "indentations" ?

This is Doctor Who in all its raw and original glory. Reading threads here on DS that try to sort out the continuity of River Song's story ... they can naff off ... THIS is where it's at.

Fifty years ago today! :D

Why doesn't Digital Spy have a Like button, because this post deserves one!
  • Options
    AidanLunnAidanLunn Posts: 5,320
    Forum Member
    adams66 wrote: »
    I love things like this - fascinating stuff. Thanks for posting the link.
    It's amazing how much was crammed into a relatively small studio, especially considering the sheer size of the cameras in those days.

The cameras may have been big, but not so big as to have a significant impact on studio space.

After all, the CPS Emitrons used in Lime Grove D at that time were, IIRC, the largest cameras at that time, only marginally beating the Marconi Mk3s.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 983
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I used to know someone who was working as a producer at the BBC about 20 years ago. He told me how much advance planning they used to have to do for the studio shoots, not so much for the cameras, but for the cables hanging out the back of them,

Basically, they try to plan the day so that cameras only rarely cross the cables of another camera when it's moved between shots. They had to produce paperwork like this with all the camera positions in advance to minimise the problem, and for the floor manager to use on the day.