How often do you get a new phone?

waterlooenderswaterlooenders Posts: 98
Forum Member
Just out of interest.
I personally get one roughly every 2 years. I've had my current phone for 14 months now and I want a new one - but I feel like it's to soon.

So, how often do you upgrade?

Comments

• StigglesStiggles Posts: 9,618
    Forum Member
    Once a year normally. Last year was 3 however! Iphone 4S, S3 and a nexus 4. Got a replacement Nexus 4 this year since i broke the other one.

Will be getting the Nexus 5 in the next few weeks when that comes out :)

I don't get mine on contracts, i buy them all outright apart from the iphone 4S last year which i got free on a contract from 3.
  • PencilPencil Posts: 5,700
    Forum Member
    Whenever a really nice smartphone comes along, I buy it outright and put my giffgaff sim inside.

I could go 2 or 3 years without buying a phone or I'll buy 2 in a year.
  • pixel_pixelpixel_pixel Posts: 6,694
    Forum Member
    I think I will come of my contract next year and get a SIM only deal. Its the first time in my entire mobile experience that the phones that are out now to replace it have not jumped as much in technological terms as in previous years.
  • GormondGormond Posts: 15,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It used to be every two years but I'm going to get a Nexus every year as I can sell the previous version for most of the cost.
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I used to get a new handset whenever i could and whenever there was one i liked. I eventually progressed to the Galaxy S2 and then S3 and then, after the S3 took a swan dive down the stairs, a 64gb iPhone 4s. I'm actually now not looking for another one since i'm perfectly happy with the iPhone. The only way i'd look at upgrading the handset now is if someone managed to release a handset with more than 64gb on-board storage.

I think the tariff helps as well, since i'm also on Virgin's 'Unlimited Everything' tariff for £10 a month.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I used to get a new handset whenever i could and whenever there was one i liked. I eventually progressed to the Galaxy S2 and then S3 and then, after the S3 took a swan dive down the stairs, a 64gb iPhone 4s. I'm actually now not looking for another one since i'm perfectly happy with the iPhone. The only way i'd look at upgrading the handset now is if someone managed to release a handset with more than 64gb on-board storage.

I think the tariff helps as well, since i'm also on Virgin's 'Unlimited Everything' tariff for £10 a month.

They tried to put me on an unlimited everything tariff at £12 a month if I signed a 12 month contract... I didn't accept. He would only lower my current tariff to £11 which is only a saving of a quid...

My my usage if I was going to sign a 12 month contract the Three one at £9.90 is better suited.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gormond wrote: »
    They tried to put me on an unlimited everything tariff at £12 a month if I signed a 12 month contract... I didn't accept. He would only lower my current tariff to £11 which is only a saving of a quid...

My my usage if I was going to sign a 12 month contract the Three one at £9.90 is better suited.

Virgin's retentions team can be a pain a lot of the time, but I kept ringing them back every so often and eventually got the tariff down to £10 - probably took about 4 or 5 months all told.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17,123
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Too often but just got an iPhone 5 so eont change until iPhone 6 or after.
  • carguy143carguy143 Posts: 2,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Virgin's retentions team can be a pain a lot of the time, but I kept ringing them back every so often and eventually got the tariff down to £10 - probably took about 4 or 5 months all told.

Ring at the start of the month. From my experience, a lot of companies target their agent on cost per call(total money spent on retentions divided by the number of calls they've taken). At the start of the month they'll be more willing to spend more to secure the save whereas at the end of the month they will be trying to reduce their average.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    carguy143 wrote: »
    Ring at the start of the month. From my experience, a lot of companies target their agent on cost per call(total money spent on retentions divided by the number of calls they've taken). At the start of the month they'll be more willing to spend more to secure the save whereas at the end of the month they will be trying to reduce their average.

interesting to know - thanks. I'm happy with £10 a month as it is but there's always that little temptation to see if I could nudge it lower ..
  • FlyinBrickFlyinBrick Posts: 1,571
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Used to be every two years along with a new contract, but quite happy to wait a bit longer until something out there wows me.
  • Zack06Zack06 Posts: 28,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had a Nexus One for a year and a half as my first Android device, but since then it has been a new Nexus every year.

I'm unsure whether to make the jump to Nexus 5 from 4 though. I skipped the Nexus S as I didn't think it was much of an upgrade.
  • scorpionatthepcscorpionatthepc Posts: 5,371
    Forum Member
    Around every 2 years id say.
  • ASIFZEDASIFZED Posts: 1,388
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do people upgrade simply to have the latest model / features, or because there's something inherently wrong / faulty with the their current phone?
  • The Lord LucanThe Lord Lucan Posts: 5,054
    Forum Member
    When a phone I want comes out.. could be 6 months, could be a year..
  • jeffiner1892jeffiner1892 Posts: 14,212
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ASIFZED wrote: »
    Do people upgrade simply to have the latest model / features, or because there's something inherently wrong / faulty with the their current phone?

I went through a period where I couldn't keep hold of a phone at all. Now I'm on a contract so I'll not change til the upgrade date (although I might switch back to pay as you go and buy one outright).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Yeah I just get bored of using the same thing and its nice to have the hardware upgrades. I would only do this with the Nexus though as they are half the price of other high end handsets.
  • November_RainNovember_Rain Posts: 9,145
    Forum Member
    It varies, I've had five phones within the last two years, but it used to be whenever my contract expired. Now I just get a new phone whenever I need/want one. I'm currently a Nexus 4 owner and I can't see myself upgrading for a while yet, it does everything I need it to and it does it well. :)
  • TheSlothTheSloth Posts: 18,708
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My 'recent' history has been SE t610, SE K750i, Samsung Wave, Samsung Galaxy S - so not very often :D

A few reasons for that.

Wife, guilt and contentment. I love gadgets so left to my own devices (literally) I'd probably have a Note 3 or HTC One now.

My next phone will be SIM free and, at this stage, looks like it'll be the Nexus 5. As I've rooted and put vanilla Android 4.2.2 on my Galaxy S, it's been like having a new phone and it's still running very well. But now screens are larger and of a higher definition, I'm finally being tempted by the hardware improvements as they are within my ceiling cost of around £300-£350.

The Nexus line aside, buying last year's flagship phones is really worth considering. That's how I got my Galaxy S as it dropped temporarily to a £20/month contract when the S2 was announced. At the time, that was a good deal and justified the contract - and I've got nearly three years out of it and for the last year I have been on a £7.50 SIM only and, as a result, have saved quite a bit of cash.

Buying the latest and greatest comes at a premium whereas last year's models are still extremely capable devices indeed. The only thing that put me off the S3 was its build else I think I'd have bought one of them.

£35-£50+ a month for cutting edge devices is something I can't justify, sadly. That's crazy money when you do the sums especially if most of the tasks you undertake are performed more than adequately by 2012 devices. The only person I'm looking to impress is me, so I don't feel pressured to upgrade.
  • noise747noise747 Posts: 30,692
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have never had a fixed time, I have been known to have the same phone for 3 years or only 12 months. My Nexus 4 have got to last me for 4 years at least, so i got to be careful not to break it. If it lasts longer than that I will be happy. I don't feel the need to update now, the phone does what I want.
  • Step666Step666 Posts: 1,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Will be getting a Note3 shortly, it'll be my 7th handset this year.
    6 of them have been provided by work though.
  • Deleted_User381237831Deleted_User381237831 Posts: 7,902
    Forum Member
    Used to be every 12-18 months, even though I had a 24 month contract.

Have decided that my current 2 year deal will probably be my last for a while. Gonna keep my iPhone 5 - unlock it and go sim only at the end of my contract.
  • FlyinBrickFlyinBrick Posts: 1,571
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It used to be every year/two years for me because the rate of change and progress was so rapid that it made it useful and worthwhile to upgrade.
    But since I've had an S2 and now an S3, the progress curve has levelled off. So I'll wait longer until theres something out there that I need or want. So far there's not much out there that does better than the S3 does.

Worth mentioning that being able to tether with unlimited data changes the gameplan a little because whatever my phone can't do, my tablet can. Since I have them both with me all day regardless, then it would have to be something pretty special to make me upgrade sooner rather than later.
  • unklesamunklesam Posts: 1,005
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In the past 12 months I've had 3 phones, iPhone 4s, Nexus 4 and now using a Lumia 820, I just get bored with them. Longest I've kept a phone was about 1 year and that was way back with a Nokia 3310
  • neyney Posts: 12,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Every 2 or 3 years it just depends.
    I had my HTC Desire S just under 2 years before I got rid of it just over 3 months ago and got a Nexus 4. As I was never 100% happy with the HTC Desire S.
    I got no plans to upgrade my mobile again in the next 16 months or so
    I had a Sony phone nearly 3 years and only got rid of it due to battery problems.

Darren