2014 Classic Series DVD Releases

Comments

• CorwinCorwin Posts: 16,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Its better to have the boxset than the individual titles imo.

But it isn't a box set as such they are just selling the 11 Colin Baker stories together. The 4 Trial of a Time Lord stories are in the ToaTL Box Set but the other 7 are the Individual DVDS.

There's nothing to indicate the DVDS are boxed up in any way and even if they are it will be some flimsy thin cardboard box, hardly worth paying £15 plus extra.
  • bennythedipbennythedip Posts: 2,345
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Corwin wrote: »
    But it isn't a box set as such they are just selling the 11 Colin Baker stories together. The 4 Trial of a Time Lord stories are in the ToaTL Box Set but the other 7 are the Individual DVDS.

There's nothing to indicate the DVDS are boxed up in any way and even if they are it will be some flimsy thin cardboard box, hardly worth paying £15 plus extra.

Its a bit rubbish that innit:D
  • TheophileTheophile Posts: 2,945
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for both your replies :). Its really helpful to get others opinions on where to get the dvds without spending an absolute fortune but also getting the best material.

I want to do a marathon classic watch before the new series so I will definitely checkout the resources mentioned and spend my money wisely I hope.

Sweet. Congratulations on diving in. :)

My main Doctor Who watching group is on the last episode of The Dominators (Story #44, Season 6, 2nd Doctor) right now. We should finish Troughton around the end of the year. (We will have to go back and re-watch Moonbase, The Underwater Menace, The Web of Fear and The Enemy of The World once we finish this season because they will all have been released properly by then).

By the way, I watched Gaslight last night and I probably need to watch it again because it mostly seemed like a jumbled mess. I think that it could have done with a slightly slower pace and a fourth episode as it was a bit frenetic (especially for the old series) and there seemed a lot that was not explained very well.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    O.k... it is April 22nd. The Web of Fear has now been released in the U.S.. That makes the (short) list:

The Enemy of the World: US: May 20th
    An Adventure in Space and Time: US: May 27th
    The Underwater Menace: UK: ?, US: ?

I will be picking up my copy of The Web of Fear later today. I can't wait. :)

And hopefully we will soon have an announcement regarding some more found episodes. Otherwise, the list will have only a single entry (The Underwater Menace) after May.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,043
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Im not sure I buy this delay for Underwater.

Surely it has to be because they wont tell us anything till they announce the finds.
  • Dr jake youngDr jake young Posts: 652
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This looks fitting for the final year of the DVD releases. Would be kinda awkward if they released more lost episodes next year! http://www.doctorwhonews.net/2014/04/classic-dvds-compendium-180414074717.html
  • bp2bp2 Posts: 1,117
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This looks fitting for the final year of the DVD releases. Would be kinda awkward if they released more lost episodes next year! http://www.doctorwhonews.net/2014/04/classic-dvds-compendium-180414074717.html

Why? It is not a BBC book and not many people are going to notice it. And if it is a ebook then it can be updated.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 24
    Forum Member
    Got Web of Fear on Tuesday...the girl at HMV had to search high and low for the single copy they ordered, but we scoured the store and finally tracked down the lil' beggar.

Bit miffed at the cover. The DW logo is flat and white, and the serial title is in this giant, bonkers font. You know what, though? Despite these quibbles, and the unfortunate lack of extras, I can finally say I own a (nearly) complete copy of Web of Fear, which for thirty years, I believed was impossible.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thane wrote: »
    Got Web of Fear on Tuesday...the girl at HMV had to search high and low for the single copy they ordered, but we scoured the store and finally tracked down the lil' beggar.

Bit miffed at the cover. The DW logo is flat and white, and the serial title is in this giant, bonkers font. You know what, though? Despite these quibbles, and the unfortunate lack of extras, I can finally say I own a (nearly) complete copy of Web of Fear, which for thirty years, I believed was impossible.

Isn't it great? I bought my copy on Tuesday. :)

Next is The Enemy of The World and I can't wait. :)
  • The_abbottThe_abbott Posts: 26,958
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thane wrote: »

We have reverse copies in the UK so the first thing I did as soon as it arrived was change the cover to match all the other DVD's :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I got the version of web with the sleeve from the bbc shop.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I just watched The Curse of Fenric. It is really, really good. I need to watch it again just to make sure that I caught everything. Ace is a really good character; I can't wait to find out more about her background. Also, I like McCoy's Doctor. He is very down-to-Earth and accessible in a way that many of the Doctors are not - very personable.

Despite budget cuts and what not, this was a great serial. How in the world could the BBC cancel the show with this serial batting at the plate? It was criminal.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Would have been interesting to see how the cartmel masterplan would have developed if the show had not been cancelled. Big shame but at the time the bbc was embarrassed by doctor who and any british made science fiction show. It was put up against coronation street on monday night, it had no chance whatsoever. Another reason was bbc2 started showing star trek the next generation at 6pm on a Wednesday night and with the budget doctor who had it just could not compete at all.
  • Kieran SeymourKieran Seymour Posts: 899
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Another reason was bbc2 started showing star trek the next generation at 6pm on a Wednesday night and with the budget doctor who had it just could not compete at all.

Star Trek: The Next Generation didn't get its first UK airing on BBC2 until September 1990. Doctor Who was already history by that point.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The arrival of shows like star trek tng definitely played a role in killing off doctor who. At the time the bbc just could not match the budget or effects of tng. They refused to compete, gave up. Of course it is a different story now.
  • CorwinCorwin Posts: 16,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Star Trek: The Next Generation didn't get its first UK airing on BBC2 until September 1990. Doctor Who was already history by that point.

I had to go and confirm that date as I would have sworn TNG had started airing in the 1980's (89 at the latest).

That put the UK three years behind the U.S on broadcast date, how things change :D
  • GDKGDK Posts: 9,477
    Forum Member
    I had to go and confirm that date as I would have sworn TNG had started airing in the 1980's (89 at the latest).

That put the UK three years behind the U.S on broadcast date, how things change :D

I remember getting rental VHS tapes of the early TNG releases from the local public library. These were ahead of BBC2 broadcasts. Maybe that's why I don't remember the US to UK delay being so bad.
  • PhilH36PhilH36 Posts: 26,294
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I'll confirm the delay, I was in the US and saw part 1 of The Best Of Both Worlds (s3 finale) on its original US airing. I then had a VERY long wait before I saw part 2 on the BBC.......:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really cant see it being a complete blank for the rest of the year. Something will eventually get released.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just waiting for a release date for the day of the doctor special edition and underwater menace. Latest speculation on the GB site is that the animation is now cancelled and ep 1 and 4 are going to be reconstructed. A making of documentary and part 2 of television centre of the universe are probably the only extras on a one disc release.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really cant see it being a complete blank for the rest of the year. Something will eventually get released.

I think that originally they were going to release the Blu-Ray versions of Series 1-4 (the ones that were released in the special $350 gift set with the remote control sonic screwdriver) separately. However, I believe that this has been pushed back to next year (although I am unsure as to why). That does leave a giant gaping hole which is the second half of this year. (June-December, let's say.)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just waiting for a release date for the day of the doctor special edition and underwater menace. Latest speculation on the GB site is that the animation is now cancelled and ep 1 and 4 are going to be reconstructed. A making of documentary and part 2 of television centre of the universe are probably the only extras on a one disc release.

They need to do the animation and I hope that they do. However, if they do not, and the reconstruction becomes the new norm, then, since this is would be so much cheaper than the animation, can we expect official releases of the other missing/incomplete serials using reconstructions? I could easily see The Crusade released this way.
  • grazey1985grazey1985 Posts: 1,480
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    New dwm mentions underwater menace will have ep 1 and 4 be reconstructed by audio. Pretty much the same thing they said about the missing eps of 10th planet and ice warriors before animation was anounced. Sounds as if they are covering all bases. Planet 55 did have someone listed as a producer for it which Suggests to me money will have already been budgeted and set aside for it. Animation is a way of reconstructing the episode so I think some are jumping the gun on it being canceled I feel.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Theophile wrote: »
    I think that originally they were going to release the Blu-Ray versions of Series 1-4 (the ones that were released in the special $350 gift set with the remote control sonic screwdriver) separately. However, I believe that this has been pushed back to next year (although I am unsure as to why). That does leave a giant gaping hole which is the second half of this year. (June-December, let's say.)

I was actually referring to missing episodes being recovered.

I wouldnt be suprised if we have Marco Polo on DVd before the end of the year.
  • chuffnobblerchuffnobbler Posts: 10,771
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Theophile wrote: »
    They need to do the animation and I hope that they do. However, if they do not, and the reconstruction becomes the new norm, then, since this is would be so much cheaper than the animation, can we expect official releases of the other missing/incomplete serials using reconstructions? I could easily see The Crusade released this way.
    grazey1985 wrote: »
    New dwm mentions underwater menace will have ep 1 and 4 be reconstructed by audio. Pretty much the same thing they said about the missing eps of 10th planet and ice warriors before animation was anounced. Sounds as if they are covering all bases. Planet 55 did have someone listed as a producer for it which Suggests to me money will have already been budgeted and set aside for it. Animation is a way of reconstructing the episode so I think some are jumping the gun on it being canceled I feel.

This is interesting, thanks. I find the recons to be very challenging. Web of Fear's missing episode was a chore because of its recon status, and I hope Underwater Menace is more than just a recon.

The soundtrack CDs work perfectly well on their own, but recon seems an unhappy halfway between soundtrack and animation. The Reign of Terror has been completely brought to life for me, with its missing episodes animated. Underwater Menace without animation would not be something to light my fire, and recons would be guaranteed to send Mrs Chuff to sleep within ten minutes.

Fingers crossed for animation. DWM's comment seems to suggest that the missing episodes remain missing. :(