Fined 3 points and £100 for a slight tear in tyre

andersonsonsonandersonsonson Posts: 6,454
Forum Member
This morning, 2 police officers approached me in a car park as one of my reverse lights weren't working. Didn't know about it so was good they told me about it, but..

They then done some quick checks on the car to check my other lights and also checked my tyres. Everything was fine except they found a slight tear on one of my tyres and said it could blow at any stage. I didn't know this tear as it was in a very hard to see spot. They gave me a £100 fine and 3 points for "defective tyre". :eek: Would a warning not have been fine (I would still get the tyre replaced today as I did)? should I appeal? I had no idea about this problem, seems very harsh to me!

Comments

• Jane Doh!Jane Doh! Posts: 43,307
    Forum Member
    I don't see any grounds for appeal.
  • lemoncurdlemoncurd Posts: 57,778
    Forum Member
    Applying common sense, yes - a warning would seem more appropriate.
  • trayhop123trayhop123 Posts: 886
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    very harsh ,,,,,,,, they could have issued you with a ticket to get the tyre sorted within so many days then report back to the police station of your choice.
  • andersonsonsonandersonsonson Posts: 6,454
    Forum Member
    They did give me a ticket to get the tyre fixed.

And also another ticket with a £100 fine and 3 points. They were nice police officers as well.
  • artnadaartnada Posts: 10,113
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's another crime "solved"...looks good in that forces statistics.
    Forum Member
    artnada wrote: »
    It's another crime "solved"...looks good in that forces statistics.

and also £100 in their pockets, I'm a big fan of the police but I thought this was very harsh, also going to bump my insurance up £100 this year
  • Dr. ClawDr. Claw Posts: 7,375
    Forum Member
    maybe they are wrong as well? what if you take the car to the garage for a more expert opinion and they might not agree with their findings
  • RoushRoush Posts: 4,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can you describe this tear in more detail? Location, size, depth, etc?
  • Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    Unfortunately, you're responsible for maintaining your car in a roadworthy condition; even the parts that are hard to see.

If it'd been me I would have tried to say that a lump of exhaust pipe fell off a car in front this morning and I had to drive over it cos the road was busy and that's what must've caused the nick in my tyre cos I do check them every couple of days.
    Forum Member
    Roush wrote: »
    Can you describe this tear in more detail? Location, size, depth, etc?

errr, around 2 cm in from edge of tyre at end furthest inside car, around 4cm long.
  • Gary_LandyFanGary_LandyFan Posts: 3,824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Had you only had tear in your tyre or your reverse lights not working you probably would have got off with advice to get it done. But because they found both they can't let it go and had to follow protocol.
  • Bulletguy1Bulletguy1 Posts: 18,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lucky for you it was only one tyre and not four otherwise it would have been four times the cost and your vehicle seized. So £100 is peanut money really. Maximum fine in Court for one defective tyre is £2,500.
  • davidmcndavidmcn Posts: 12,108
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dr. Claw wrote: »
    maybe they are wrong as well? what if you take the car to the garage for a more expert opinion and they might not agree with their findings

Then you can refuse to pay the fixed penalty and go to court instead.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,691
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This morning, 2 police officers approached me in a car park as one of my reverse lights weren't working. Didn't know about it so was good they told me about it, but..

They then done some quick checks on the car to check my other lights and also checked my tyres. Everything was fine except they found a slight tear on one of my tyres and said it could blow at any stage. I didn't know this tear as it was in a very hard to see spot. They gave me a £100 fine and 3 points for "defective tyre". :eek: Would a warning not have been fine (I would still get the tyre replaced today as I did)? should I appeal? I had no idea about this problem, seems very harsh to me!

Sadly I don't think you will have any joy - but it does seem that the police in your area appear to be underemployed.:)
  • trayhop123trayhop123 Posts: 886
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    hmmm ,,,,,, like others have said , couldn't you get a second opinion ,,,,,, like take your car for a new mot , and if it passes you would then have expert opinion which would standup in court and superceed whatever the police are claiming .

these situations are never nice ,,,,,, they have been overly harsh ,,,,, and maybe you have to accept it
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Sounds like you were caught while the vehicle was in motion. If your car was stationary with the engine off you may have got away with it.
    Forum Member
    I ask the guy at the tyre place and he said the tyre that was torn was illegal.

but there was no way to tell it was damaged, this is why I think the fine and points are unfair
  • Ted CTed C Posts: 11,730
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I ask the guy at the tyre place and he said the tyre that was torn was illegal.

but there was no way to tell it was damaged, this is why I think the fine and points are unfair

OK...granted the garage would be able to make a detailed examination of the tyre, but frankly if the police were able to tell it was damaged, then does it not seem reasonable that you would also have been able to tell?
  • Default_UserDefault_User Posts: 4,922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Common sense should give first call on that £100 to the tyre shop to fix the problem. A fine should only be implemented if no action is taken to sort the defect within 7 days or so.
    Just what auto-mechanic qualifications do police officers have to make such a clear judgement, anyway.
  • Ted CTed C Posts: 11,730
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Common sense should give first call on that £100 to the tyre shop to fix the problem. A fine should only be implemented if no action is taken to sort the defect within 7 days or so.
    Just what auto-mechanic qualifications do police officers have to make such a clear judgement, anyway.

Well the garage confirmed the tyre was illegal, so the officers were correct in their judgement.
    Forum Member
    OK...granted the garage would be able to make a detailed examination of the tyre, but frankly if the police were able to tell it was damaged, then does it not seem reasonable that you would also have been able to tell?

because I was told to put my steering all the way to right and left as they inspected the tyres with a torch :eek: and the tear was near the inside furthest away from outside view
  • TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,414
    Forum Member
    Had you only had tear in your tyre or your reverse lights not working you probably would have got off with advice to get it done. But because they found both they can't let it go and had to follow protocol.

One of my out of hours sidelines is writing letters for people and one thing I did was get a parking fine cut in half for someone.

I think that the punishment in this instance is on the firm side and that's unfortunate. However, one thing to consider is the likelihood of the success of any appeal and the time spent on the appeal.

As there were two vehicular defects present, and as both could potentially be regarded as safety defects, my estimate would be that there would only be a minority chance of winning any appeal. All I can do is try to be as impartial as possible and I'm afraid the thing to do is probably take the hit on this one and not bother with the effort of making an appeal.
    Forum Member
    is a non working reverse light a defect?

It wouldn't fail an mot because of it (neither would 2 broken reverse lights)
  • John RobinsonJohn Robinson Posts: 2,718
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It sounds like the police are like judges and magistrates: the severity of punishments is very much a lottery.

The coppers you encountered probably had had a bad day!
  • Mrs TeapotMrs Teapot Posts: 124,896
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    is a non working reverse light a defect?

It wouldn't fail an mot because of it (neither would 2 broken reverse lights)

I thought you could only get done if you were on a road, you say you were in a car park. If that was the case then did they give you the opportunity to put a spare tyre on if of course you had one?