Next Gen game prices

13»

Comments

• cat666cat666 Posts: 2,063
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bio Max wrote: »
    Have to agree. Although my mindset has changed since 2005 ish. I was looking at my old orders on amazon - used to pay £40 for a game back then for my 360, but nowadays I wait for a few months before I buy the game to save money. it's also partly due to not having the same amount of time as I used to, playing games now takes me months and months to finish. XCOM for example took me 7 months to finish.

This is it exactly.

The only reason stores get away with charging inflated prices is because people pay inflated prices. Do you really need the latest version of Call of Duty on day 1? Unless it's your sole form of entertainment, chances are not. Likewise GTAV was always going to be a huge seller, did anyone actually need it on day 1? No. You survived without it before release, you can survive another 3 months until it's cheaper. Those people who paid full price on day 1 have essentially made it OK for stores to charge those prices, as they have paid it.
  • Premium-OnionPremium-Onion Posts: 3,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There are games I will pay more money for than others.

I look at it like this:

Let's use £50 as the price of a game here and let's make it FIFA. That £50 is five trips to the cinema for a total of 10 hours let's say or a nice meal at a restaurant. I play FIFA a good 8-9 days worth of hours every year. £50 all of a sudden seems nothing. Same goes for just about every game I buy, it is almost certainly the cheapest form of entertainment that interests me.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,813
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hate paying more than £40 for a game mainly due to the lack of time that i get to play them, so i generally wait till a game has been out for a while and then i will pick them up when the price drops. The only games I would get on release day are generally GTA and FIFA.

I remember paying £60 a game when the N64 first came out, so game prices are actually pretty good considering inflation but to counter that i would assume that production costs have been reduced.

I also dont like the fact that they charge so much for a digital download when they dont need to package and ship a game surely it should be cheaper

Now i don't have my contact lenses in, but am i reading the right

you would assume production costs have gone down? you think a ten man team making a mega drive game in 1992 on 1992 wages costs more than a 200+ man team on a PS4 earning 2013 wages, really? the cost of making a game had never been more expensive
  • whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hate paying more than £40 for a game mainly due to the lack of time that i get to play them, so i generally wait till a game has been out for a while and then i will pick them up when the price drops. The only games I would get on release day are generally GTA and FIFA.

I remember paying £60 a game when the N64 first came out, so game prices are actually pretty good considering inflation but to counter that i would assume that production costs have been reduced.

I also dont like the fact that they charge so much for a digital download when they dont need to package and ship a game surely it should be cheaper

Lol, how could production costs reduce? The biggest cost of a game is dev salary.

The digital thing though i entirely agree with. PSN is often more than retail.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,357
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The reason I decided to not upgrade to next gen was the prices of games surely a matter of time before the prices get slashed.
  • whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cat666 wrote: »
    This is it exactly.

The only reason stores get away with charging inflated prices is because people pay inflated prices. Do you really need the latest version of Call of Duty on day 1? Unless it's your sole form of entertainment, chances are not. Likewise GTAV was always going to be a huge seller, did anyone actually need it on day 1? No. You survived without it before release, you can survive another 3 months until it's cheaper. Those people who paid full price on day 1 have essentially made it OK for stores to charge those prices, as they have paid it.

That is just called market forces though. It is what it is.