Tottenham Hotspur Supporters Thread (Part 12)

Comments

• PeePee Posts: 8,154
    Forum Member
    what is it they're meant to say though (assuming they're even aware of this)? I personally haven't seen that much, and there's absolutely no dispute whatsoever that the little I have seen is utterly abhorrent, and no right-thinking person would disagree. it's a bit different to the Y-word or Townsend issue where there's at least a genuine wider debate to be had. this is rather open-and-shut IMO, and I'm not sure what else needs to be added. if they were to make a fuss about this, it would more a case of saying something for the sake of it rather than them hoping to actually achieve something.
  • kimindexkimindex Posts: 68,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Joey_J wrote: »
    Woah!!

At 31 years old nearing the latter stages of his career, I can see why going to the MLS to potentially earn £30,000 a week more than his spurs salary might be tempting lol he wouldn't get that from anywhere else in the EPL, if anything he'd probably get reduced wages elsewhere in the EPL
    Yes, you can certainly see it from his point of view. Shed load of money and a chance to live in a great city and be appreciated (if he does his job and I'm sure he will over there).
  • shelleyj89shelleyj89 Posts: 16,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think it's a no-brainer for Defoe really. He's 31, had 10+ years in this league, played in a World Cup. For the level of player he is, I don't think he's going to achieve much more over here. This is his last chance of a big pay day, and I think most in his position would probably take the same option he has.
    Pee wrote: »
    what is it they're meant to say though (assuming they're even aware of this)? I personally haven't seen that much, and there's absolutely no dispute whatsoever that the little I have seen is utterly abhorrent, and no right-thinking person would disagree. it's a bit different to the Y-word or Townsend issue where there's at least a genuine wider debate to be had. this is rather open-and-shut IMO, and I'm not sure what else needs to be added. if they were to make a fuss about this, it would more a case of saying something for the sake of it rather than them hoping to actually achieve something.

My point is that they are happy to criticise our fans when they are being positive about something, but seemingly have no issue when people are actually being abusive. Look at Ian Wright, he was quick to condone our fans for pelting Walcott, but when told about the way some Arsenal fans had reacted, he condoned that too. I guess it would just be satisfying in a way for them to acknowledge the people who are actually being anti-semitic too, as opposed to just always piping up when it involves our fans.

I guess I feel quite strongly about it having experienced what I experienced on the way home from the Arsenal game. It's one thing reading some abusive tweets or comments on an internet forum, but actually having anti-semitic abuse shouted in your face by fully growm men is another.
  • PeePee Posts: 8,154
    Forum Member
    you mean condemned rather than condoned, I take it? (not being a d*ck, by the way)

I obviously don't know exactly what it is you experienced, but it's understandable that it's influenced how you see this. by the same token though, people like Herbert and Baddiel, rather than just pursuing an agenda, are also motivated by their experiences when getting involved in matters such as these. it really does boil my blood to hear everything dismissed as playing a race card or pursuing an agenda.

I can't really speak for either of them in this particular instance though, I'm just applying my own thinking to the situation. you know I'm quite vocal on race matters on here, yet you've not heard a peep from me on this until now. there are loads of reasons for this, but the main one is that this is the most obvious form of abuse and also the easiest ignored, and the people involved have been reported and will (hopefully) be dealt with accordingly. there's no real justice or equality to argue for, unless nothing is being done about it. in that regard it's very different to the other instances you've seen me passionately arguing over, out of a perceived sense of injustice. the idiots in this case don't really need to be condemned, because it's already blindingly obvious to everyone that they're ignorant scum.
  • Knarf44Knarf44 Posts: 4,634
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    changing the subject, rumour circulating that Holtby will go out on loan, probably back to Bundesliga.
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Knarf44 wrote: »
    changing the subject, rumour circulating that Holtby will go out on loan, probably back to Bundesliga.

Interesting. He's only been with us a year this month actually - it seems longer.

With the amount of midfielders we have, it's probably only fair to let him go on loan to get some playing time.
  • Deep PurpleDeep Purple Posts: 63,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Interesting. He's only been with us a year this month actually - it seems longer.

With the amount of midfielders we have, it's probably only fair to let him go on loan to get some playing time.

Yes. I think we have 12 midfielders vying for first team football, with the addition of Carroll and Livermore out on loan. It's too many, and means most don't get a decent run to find their feet.
  • soulboy77soulboy77 Posts: 24,487
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes. I think we have 12 midfielders vying for first team football, with the addition of Carroll and Livermore out on loan. It's too many, and means most don't get a decent run to find their feet.
    13 if we count Nabil now as well. Saying that, we have needed nearly all in recent games with the growing injury list. But I get the feeling that Sherwood doesn't rate Holtby as much as AVB did.

The other question mark is what to do with Lamela? He is not going to learn to adapt to the Premiership if he doesn't get any game time.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I suppose you have to assume something's going on behind the scenes with Lamela that we're not privy to. Logic would dictate that you'd play him, if fit, whenever you could.

JD's move to Toronto confirmed by the club as well

https://twitter.com/SpursOfficial/status/421567295106736128/photo/1

They've tweeted that it will be "with effect from February 28th, 2014". It doesn't appear he'll be loaned back to us either, so i assume we'll either be going with Harry Kane as third choice or we'll be in for someone in the window.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Good luck to Defoe. I'd appreciate it if he keeps up his good record in Europe and fires us in to the next round before he leaves :)
    Pee wrote: »
    you mean condemned rather than condoned, I take it? (not being a d*ck, by the way)

I obviously don't know exactly what it is you experienced, but it's understandable that it's influenced how you see this. by the same token though, people like Herbert and Baddiel, rather than just pursuing an agenda, are also motivated by their experiences when getting involved in matters such as these. it really does boil my blood to hear everything dismissed as playing a race card or pursuing an agenda.

I can't really speak for either of them in this particular instance though, I'm just applying my own thinking to the situation. you know I'm quite vocal on race matters on here, yet you've not heard a peep from me on this until now. there are loads of reasons for this, but the main one is that this is the most obvious form of abuse and also the easiest ignored, and the people involved have been reported and will (hopefully) be dealt with accordingly. there's no real justice or equality to argue for, unless nothing is being done about it. in that regard it's very different to the other instances you've seen me passionately arguing over, out of a perceived sense of injustice. the idiots in this case don't really need to be condemned, because it's already blindingly obvious to everyone that they're ignorant scum.

Indeed I did! ;-)

I was with my dad and brother. Amongst other things, we had one group of Arsenal fans chanting a pleasent song about how they have foreskin and our male fans don't. We called dirty Jews, and my brother and I had one bloke his directly in our faces.

Just to me, when they have been so vocal in the past to condemn our fans, but not saying anything now, it makes it seems like they are condoning it. That just annoys me is all.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I suppose you have to assume something's going on behind the scenes with Lamela that we're not privy to. Logic would dictate that you'd play him, if fit, whenever you could.

JD's move to Toronto confirmed by the club as well

https://twitter.com/SpursOfficial/status/421567295106736128/photo/1

They've tweeted that it will be "with effect from February 28th, 2014". It doesn't appear he'll be loaned back to us either, so i assume we'll either be going with Harry Kane as third choice or we'll be in for someone in the window.
    Fee is supposed to be £8 mill. Not bad. And with an advertising deal as well.

The transfer of Jermain to Toronto FC also sees the start of an Advertising Rights Agreement with club owners Maple Leaf Sports & Entertainment Ltd. which includes promotional, branding, experiential activities, advertising, broadcasting, social media and digital rights across the 4-year agreement and at all MLSE properties and media sites. MLSE will stock, promote and sell official THFC merchandise at all their retail outlets and support the THFC Official Canadian Supporter's Club.
    Additionally, the Club can also announce that we shall play Toronto FC in the second game of our 2014 summer tour on July 23, in-between fixtures against Seattle Sounders on July 19 and Chicago Fire on July 26.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Defoe's been a good servant and by all accounts a good bloke. Does a lot of charity work with underprivlidged kids both in the UK and the Caribbean and that is also to be applauded when so many of today's players just seem selfish and over indulged.

I don't think we'll be in a rush to replace him, Sherwood seems to rate Kane and will possibly look to give him more game time. Lamela can also play as a second striker which is probably his best position and how he got most of his goals in Italy.

Not sure Defoe will feature at all any more, too much of a risk of him picking up an injury so probably will just maintain his fitness with us.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sherwood on Lamela:
    @HotspurRelated: Sherwood (Lamela): "He won't be leaving on loan in this transfer window.

"We know what a talent he is. Players need time to settle.

He's still injured, apparently (but he played in a reserve game this week, didn't he?).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kimindex wrote: »
    Fee is supposed to be £8 mill. Not bad. And with an advertising deal as well.

And a fixture added to the summer tour as well. £8 million is a cracking price for a player his age.
    Not sure Defoe will feature at all any more, too much of a risk of him picking up an injury so probably will just maintain his fitness with us.

I don't know - I think we'll almost certainly get to see him at least one last time, even if it's only a run out as a sub. He'll want to say goodbye on the pitch for sure.
    kimindex wrote: »
    Sherwood on Lamela:

I suppose I can understand it if he's having problems on a personal level. If that side of things isn't going well then his mind really isn't going to be on football.

But then I'm sure I read that his family were arriving in the country sometime last year and that he'd found a house .. maybe that hasn't happened.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We've made a point of saying he is back from injury and fit for selection tomorrow, so I expect him to feature somewhat in these last few games before he goes.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Defoe has been a good servant of the club, and his record is excellent for how he's been used.

I'm sure he would have been a regular in many mid table sides, and would have scored many more goals.

I wish him the very best in Canada.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lamela played in the Charlton friendly earlier this week and got two goals. He was subbed as a precaution early in the second half. Apparently has a niggling thigh problem.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lamela played in the Charlton friendly earlier this week and got two goals. He was subbed as a precaution early in the second half. Apparently has a niggling thigh problem.
    Ah, thanks. Shame. Tomorrow would be a good game to try him in.
  • WoodentopWoodentop Posts: 3,088
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well my prediction that the FA Cup campaign would begin and finish at the Emirates was correct. Now to the rest of the league season. I'm concerned that Sherwood may either be tempted by or offered a token amount to spend in this window, which will add to the debacle that has gone on to date.

We should shut the purse and make do with the extravagance of talent? that exist and not feel we must go all out to try and nick a CL spot. There are enough better squads both performing and under performing and we should just plan each game and send out the best positive team to achieve the best results to the end and see where it leaves us. In many spots, if and when fit, there should be automatic selection. These include LLoris, Walker, Vertonghen, Lennon, Sandro, Sigurdsson, Sodaldo (purely on cost alone) and unfortunately if Sigurdsson does want to convert to upfront Adebeyor!

We should accept this season needs to be done and out of the way, with some some serious thought to how we go forward and with whom. This should include the considering a new suitable high profile Manager and a wholesale clearout of those he wishes to dispose of. And time is key, the new man needs to be in place in May and not July or August being left with what's on the books or to scramble around on the left overs.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Team is in - unchanged from the last game.

Lloris, Walker, Chiriches, Dawson, Rose, Lennon, Bentaleb, Dembele, Eriksen, Adebayor, Soldado

Subs:

Friedel, Fryers, Naughton, Capoue, Chadli, Holtby & Defoe

Here's hoping for the right result ..
  • soulboy77soulboy77 Posts: 24,487
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Still find it strange that youngster Bentaleb gets then nod over Copoue but you can't argue much on the rest of the selection, with the players currently available. COYS
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Palace tactics obviously to nick a goal quickly then shut up shop and frustrate us.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Have you ever seen a worse penalty? Got out of jail there. Palace are really going for it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lucky escape with the missed pen. Clumsy challenge from Dumbele.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We're second to everything at the moment.
This discussion has been closed.