Options

setting up new smart tv and digibox ??

Hello - I have searched for an answer but not found anything.

I have replaced my old TV with a smart TV with freeview.

I also have a freeview dual tuner digibox recorder (or whatever its called)

My old set up had the aerial into the digibox which linked up to the TV with an HDMI cable (or scart).

This does not work with the new TV as it does not find any freeview channels. I tried to loop another aerial cable from the aerial out of the digibox to the aeriel in on the new TV but that doesn't work either.

I phoned Currys helpline and they said that I needed to have a second aerial fitted, one for the TV and one for the box....

Is that right or can they be linked together from existing aerial point so that both of them can be used independantly

Thanks for any help - sorry if I haven't used the right words or explained myself properly

Kath

Comments

• Options
    Chasing ShadowsChasing Shadows Posts: 3,096
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ceecee1 wrote: »
    This does not work with the new TV as it does not find any freeview channels. I tried to loop another aerial cable from the aerial out of the digibox to the aeriel in on the new TV but that doesn't work either.

I phoned Currys helpline and they said that I needed to have a second aerial fitted, one for the TV and one for the box....

Is that right

No it is not right. The reason that your diugibox has an aerial out is to loop the terrestrial signal that goes in to your digibox back out again, so that it can then feed your TV. And is actually what you should have used for your old television as well.

In fact, if your old TV could show any terrestrial TV channels (Freeview or the old analogue channels) itself (rather than via the digital Freeview recorder) then that is how you must have had the old TV connected - the HDMI or scart connection from recorder to TV would not pass the terrestrial signal on, it would only show whatever the Freeview recorder was outputting.

If your Freeview recorder is no longer passing the terrestrial signal on via its RF out, this could be because it has become damaged (or alternatively may be because the Freeview recorder is not actually plugged in; the capability to output the terrestrial signal it is receiving as its input requires power, so even if the box isn't switched on, it does need to be plugged in and the plug socket switched on).

If the Freeview recorder aerial out is broken, you could achieve the same with a Y-connector out of your TV aerial wall socket, one cable feeding the telly and the other feeding the recorder.
  • Options
    chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ceecee1 wrote: »
    Hello - I have searched for an answer but not found anything.

I have replaced my old TV with a smart TV with freeview.

I also have a freeview dual tuner digibox recorder (or whatever its called)

My old set up had the aerial into the digibox which linked up to the TV with an HDMI cable (or scart).

Is that right or can they be linked together from existing aerial point so that both of them can be used independantly

Thanks for any help - sorry if I haven't used the right words or explained myself properly

Kath
    Currys are total muppets, assuming they did tell you you needed an etirely separate aerial, not just a separate aerial feed of course.

The loop through from the Freeview recorder to the TV should have worked. However it might be that the recorder has a low power standby mode that disables the aerial loopthrough when it's in standby (and it has to be powered at the mains all the time even so).

Try turning the recorder on and try the loop through again. If that works then you might have to dive into the menus of the recorder and find the setting to turn low power standby off so the aerial loopthrough stays working all the time.

If all else fails try plugging the aerial directly to the TV just to make sure it can find the channels.

If the loopthrough cannot be made to work and the TV can find the channels with the aerial connected directly then you can split the aerial feed to both recorder and TV.

You can use a simple passive (no mains power required) splitter if you have a strong enough signal or a simple two output amplifier if the signal is a bit on the weak side.

Random example of a passive splitter
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/WAY-AERIAL-SPLITTER-MALE-FEMALE/dp/B0035GGDS4/

2 way aerial amplifier
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/SLx-Aerial-Amplifier-digital-bypass/dp/B0009D5VU2
  • Options
    ceecee1ceecee1 Posts: 44
    Forum Member
    Chasing and Chris - thanks very much for your very quick response.

I'll try it tonight....might be back with more questions though :)

Kath
  • Options
    gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    yes, the tv needs it's own aerial feed to use its own tuner, although clearly you can watch the digibox input via AV2 or whatever input it uses

having said that, a lot of people who use dual tuner digibox recorders, tend to watch most tv through the recorder facilities, because you get tv pause, rewind etc, etc, which you probably do not get directly with the TV.

We probably use the TV directly less than 10% of the time, if that.

We don't have a smart-Tv though, and I guess you would need the tv on to get catch up facilities etc, via smart TV
  • Options
    ceecee1ceecee1 Posts: 44
    Forum Member
    Just wanted to say thank you to Chris. I bought his recommendation and it worked a treat. Really impressed with the company as they refunded my the faster postage paid as they had missed the post.