Options

The new Thief game on pc.

BinCatBinCat Posts: 2,125
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I want to buy my OH this for the PC, I know he doesn't like games on Steam, is there another way of getting it for the PC?

Sorry if it's a daft question, I literally know nothing about the gaming world:blush:

Comments

• Options
    Jimmy_McNultyJimmy_McNulty Posts: 11,378
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There doesn't appear to be a retail Steam-less version, so nope. PC is dominated by Steam, he's missing out on a lot of games.

If he has a change of heart you can pick up Thief here: http://www.greenmangaming.com/s/gb/en/pc/games/action/thief/ and use the code: O61269-BIMBGU-JRDM3J for an extra 25% off.
  • Options
    silentNatesilentNate Posts: 84,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't get the Steam hate tbh :blush::(

I also notice that while it comes with free skins for TF2 and CounterStrike DS is still lacking a yawn smilie :( :yawn:
  • Options
    LyricalisLyricalis Posts: 57,958
    Forum Member
    You can buy the DVD of the game from various places (Amazon, for example), but if it uses Steam for DRM and updates then you can't avoid Steam.
  • Options
    Sick BulletSick Bullet Posts: 20,770
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Only problem with Steam is buying games during a deal then days later the price is ever better and then more better and so on, but apart from being screwed a couple of quid now and then it's great.
  • Options
    RedSnapperRedSnapper Posts: 2,569
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its going to be a consoleised, poor imitation of the originals anyway - avoid......
  • Options
    GamerGirlGamerGirl Posts: 623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    RedSnapper wrote: »
    Its going to be a consoleised, poor imitation of the originals anyway - avoid......

Sigh ... >:( why is there always someone who pipes up with this sort of rubbish? It's not even out yet and you haven't played it so how can you make ridiculous statements like "avoid"? Your opinion is probably based on seeing the beta and released preview footage, I expect.
    I bet you spat similar vitriol about the Deus Ex: Human Revolution reboot, which was actually brilliant.

I've played all the Thief games since the original was released years ago and I for one am looking forward to playing this new Thief reboot, especially since they have shown they have been listening to the Thief fans and changed various things so that we will now be able to turn off all the 'helpful' annoying features that console players expect so that we can get the proper near-original Thief experience for the PC. :D

Yes they will have changed things (farewell Stephen Russell's voice :cry: ) but it doesn't mean that it will necessarily be ruined. Just different. [/end rant]
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Late changes in the development of a game are more likely to cause a muddled mess than a masterpiece, if the game sells well though I would think the feedback from the fans would make Thief 2 a much better product than it otherwise may have been.
  • Options
    RedSnapperRedSnapper Posts: 2,569
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    and...the reviews are in - lukewarm at best - just like the previews.

Eurogamer 6/10: the sense of historical place is immediately broken by guards that speak in a range of unlikely accents from Texan to Aussie,

Gamespot 6/10: Incoherent story that ends without any sense of payoff

Even the usual developers friend IGN only give it 6.8/10 : Thief has good stealth going for it, but everything connecting its few relatively open scenarios is a mess.

If you like it GamerGirl - good for you. I also loved the originals but wont be getting this for the reasons I mentioned above..
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,482
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They have included a graphic sex scene and nudity... in a Thief game.

I... I am just so f***ing depressed right now.
  • Options
    HetalHetal Posts: 5,415
    Forum Member
    Thief: The Dark Project is one of my favourite games of all time and it looks like this won't live up to the expectations. I may pick it up once it goes down to £5 on Steam someday....
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If it plays like Dishonored I'll pay in the £20s for it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This person wasn't a fan: http://i.imgur.com/ISumvLO.jpg
  • Options
    Vast_GirthVast_Girth Posts: 9,793
    Forum Member
    Despite the mediocre reviews i love the series so much i'm still looking forward to it. Interesting review here:

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2014/02/24/thief-review/
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Still unsure about this, I'm going to test it out shortly.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I played for 15 minutes and I'm not excited at all, following a path and which felt like collecting not stealing items on the way, the level was boring and dull leaving me not bothered to see what the next area offers, graphics wise it looked fine nothing special and way off the big guns in that department, the lock picking is ok but very easy the best part was feeling around a picture for a trigger lock which was kinda cool but then again very easy.

First impressions meh 5/10, will try and force myself on it more later.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Please do not buy this game, they have lowered the tone to the level of trash. There was no need for topless and sex scenes, yet here they are.. in a Thief game.

Don't let devs devalue beloved franchises for a quick buck, do no buy this trash, please.
  • Options
    HetalHetal Posts: 5,415
    Forum Member
    So I take it some of you played the original Thief? This reboot is really that bad huh? I may avoid it altogether again. I don't like supporting developers who have no respect for the franchise.
  • Options
    Flawed-TacticsFlawed-Tactics Posts: 3,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PC is the best place to buy this if you really need to, I thought about the PS4 version for a short time but all the bad feedback has put me right off, especially at console prices.

Waiting for a legendary steam sale.....
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PC is the best place to buy this if you really need to, I thought about the PS4 version for a short time but all the bad feedback has put me right off, especially at console prices.

Waiting for a legendary steam sale.....

Yes don't buy this game on a console for £40+ guys.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SqEnix love those deep discounts in sales it wouldn't surprise me if it was 66-75% in the summer. They are one publisher that are not in the 'discounts harm IPs' camp.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Well its already available for just £14.99 on PC. How much lower can it go?!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It could include more sex scenes?
  • Options
    fluffedfluffed Posts: 1,791
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Vast_Girth wrote: »

Can be had cheaper than that through steam trades, there's alot of codes floating about from AMD bundles.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Been playing this and i have to say i'm very much enjoying it. Its much better than the reviews suggest and great fun.

However i'm not that far in and a few things do grate quite a lot:

The contextual jump is very annoying and severely cuts down the on ability to find your own path around the levels.

You can't go back through entire levels to collect any missing collectables etc. You are cut off by drops or locked doors etc. This is a massive step backwards from dishonoured. (tbh the whole game feels like a bit of a step backwards from dishonoured)

Garretts voice and design are much worse that before. I miss Stephen Russell

But despite that, i am still having a whale of a time playing it. I can only imagine how great it could have been though...
  • Options
    jokerzjokerz Posts: 1,353
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Vast_Girth wrote: »

Where'd you see it for that price!?