Options

Disabled man starved to death after benefits cut when Atos declared him fit for work

JasonJason Posts: 76,557
Forum Member
✭✭✭
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/disabled-mark-wood-starved-death-3194250
Tom Pollard, Policy and Campaigns Manager at Mind, said: “We were deeply saddened to hear of the death of Mark Wood.

“Unfortunately this tragic case is not an isolated incident. We hear too often how changes to benefits are negatively impacting vulnerable individuals, who struggle to navigate a complex, and increasingly punitive, system.

“We know the assessment process for those applying for Employment and Support Allowance is very stressful, and too crude to accurately assess the impact a mental health problem has on someone’s ability to work.

“This leads to people not getting the right support and being put under excessive pressure which can make their health worse and push them further from the workplace.

“We urgently need to see a complete overhaul of the system, to ensure nobody else falls through the cracks.”

Over to the supporters of the current regime to explain this one away in 3 .. 2 ...

Comments

• Options
    TheTruth1983TheTruth1983 Posts: 13,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The system is not fit for purpose but these stories are the ultimate example of trolling in the media, using a tragedy to provoke outrage.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,419
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Whilst ATOS made the wrong decision, it is always helpful not to selectively quote the article and omit bits that don't quite fit the agenda, such as:
    In a narrative verdict, Coroner Darren Salter said it was likely that Mark’s food phobias contributed to his death.

There always almost is never a single cause in these kind of deaths.

And I say it again, in case I am labelled as a supporter, ATOS made the wrong decision based on what the article says.
  • Options
    nomad2kingnomad2king Posts: 8,415
    Forum Member
    If you have a phobia of food, you are likely to starve. Not exactly rocket science is it?

Did he return any forms? Did he actually have an assessment? Even if those things happened, the appeal process would have kept the money coming in and would have required a note from the GP, which didn't happen.

Housing benefit would still have been paid with no income. He still had £40/week, which is still something.
    In a narrative verdict, Coroner Darren Salter said it was likely that Mark’s food phobias contributed to his death.

Missing from that report, but is included elsewhere.
    On the other hand, we do know cash was provided prior to death, but because of his phobias he didn’t use that cash to buy food.'

Is there any indication that ATOS had been told anything, by anybody?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    1MJ1 wrote: »
    There always almost is never a single cause in these kind of deaths

I would contend that the food phobias contributed to his death in the sense that he couldn't actually afford to buy the food he specifically needed so had to make do with what he had left and when that ran out, he starved.

So the benefits cut, obviously IMO, was a significant contributory factor in his death, if not the root cause.
    nomad2king wrote: »
    If you have a phobia of food, you are likely to starve. Not exactly rocket science is it?

You can hardly blame him for that ..
    Did he return any forms? Did he actually have an assessment?

Since his benefits were cut, i'd say he did have the assessment.
    Even if those things happened, the appeal process would have kept the money coming in

If it was after the rule change that meant you had to go to the DWP to ask for a reconsideration first before being allowed to appeal, you receive no money and are forced to sign on the dole if you want any.
    Missing from that report, but is included elsewhere

Most likely referring to the money his mother gave him ..
  • Options
    Nesta RobbinsNesta Robbins Posts: 30,830
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know there are numerous issues here to be debated, but I just felt sad hearing about this vulnerable lad. How isolated he must have felt. Just trying to get by the best he can, in what can often seem to be a pressurised and confusing world especially for those on the autistic spectrum! With an already heightened sensitivity to things, and often many irrational everyday fears and/or phobias, some situations can become intolerable and severe. With food, it can be the look, feel, smell and texture - that's before they'd ever dream of tasting it! :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would contend that the food phobias contributed to his death in the sense that he couldn't actually afford to buy the food he specifically needed so had to make do with what he had left and when that ran out, he starved.

So the benefits cut, obviously IMO, was a significant contributory factor in his death, if not the root cause.

I refer to the quote in nomad2king post (not too sure where it was obtained from):
    On the other hand, we do know cash was provided prior to death, but because of his phobias he didn’t use that cash to buy food.'

It is not as simple as you make it out to be.
  • Options
    Keyser_Soze1Keyser_Soze1 Posts: 25,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We are all in this together...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mark’s mum Jill Gant, from Abingdon, said the family knew nothing of his money problems until a few weeks before his death.

She gave him £250, but said that by then it was too late.

As I said, most likely the cash his mother gave him when she found out, but, as it says, it was too late. At the time his mother gave him money, it's very highly likely he was in rent arrears at the very least so he could well have elected to pay that off first.

Obviously that's pure speculation on my part, but when you're in that much trouble you are always told to try and keep a roof over your head if possible.
  • Options
    tim59tim59 Posts: 47,188
    Forum Member

Did he return any forms? Did he actually have an assessment? Even if those things happened, the appeal process would have kept the money coming in and would have required a note from the GP, which didn't happen.

Housing benefit would still have been paid with no income. He still had £40/week, which is still something.

Missing from that report, but is included elsewhere.

Is there any indication that ATOS had been told anything, by anybody?

You can keep defending atos and the system, but its all falling apart and atos are history, and no one has trust in the system any more because its not fit for purpose, as his doctor said NO one from atos or the DWP got in touch with him, that is a big failing of the system.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As I said, most likely the cash his mother gave him when she found out, but, as it says, it was too late.

How was it too late when he didn't buy food with the cash? Would he still be alive if he did buy food?

We don't know and it would be guessing by anybody.

As said, you can't pin point this one on ATOS 100%.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I refer to the quote in nomad2king post (not too sure where it was obtained from):

Oxford Mail
    Oxfordshire Coroner Darren Salter gave a narrative verdict at the inquest. He said: “Mr Wood had an eating disorder and food phobia. It is likely that this caused or contributed to his death as he was markedly underweight and malnourished.”
    He added: “I accept the evidence about something pushing him over the edge heard by the GP Mr Ward.
    On the other hand we do know cash was provided prior to death, but because of his phobias he didn’t use that cash to buy food.”
    Mirror
    Mark’s mum Jill Gant, from Abingdon, said the family knew nothing of his money problems until a few weeks before his death.
    She gave him £250, but said that by then it was too late.
    Why didn't the family help him out with his benefits situation?

He gave the money away.
    “He found it difficult to accept help from his family because he tried to live independently so he gave the money away.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How was it too late when he didn't buy food with the cash?

We only have the word of nomad2king that he didn't buy food with it. I'd certainly be keen to see a link or article that verifies this claim.

From a health perspective, there could be a multitude of reasons why it was "too late".
    As said, you can't pin point this one on ATOS 100%.

No benefit cut = money to buy whichever food he needed = no death.

So yes, you probably can pin this one on ATOS.
  • Options
    scruffpotscruffpot Posts: 4,570
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    very sad story indeed.

however in the article
    "Anyone who knew Mark’s complex problems would see he couldn’t work. ”

So what support was he getting? was he on social did he not have regular visits or check ups by doctors, teams etc support services etc.

If he didnt and people were aware of his problems why was he not referred in the first place to get help?

The reasons why I ask this is because I work with people in these situations everyday, and the support services are there to work with people such as the gentleman who died. Therefore if people were aware and ATOS said he was fit to work why wasn't he placed in the system as he already is as he is on DLA?

Its a very sad case and I understand people do slip through the net, Ive dealt with clients and suicide attempts due to ATSO decisions, but they have got the support they needed. But I suoppose there are various sides to the case
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We only have the word of nomad2king that he didn't buy food with it. I'd certainly be keen to see a link or article that verifies this claim.

From a health perspective, there could be a multitude of reasons why it was "too late".

He linked to the article and from that I quote:
    He found it difficult to accept help from his family because he tried to live independently so he gave the money away

As said (again!), not as simple as you make it out to be!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Apparently, according to nomad2king's link from the Oxford Mail, his mother also said this.
    At the inquest, Mrs Gant said: “I think he died of the severe effects of malnutrition, but there were precipitating causes.

“Extreme stress and lack of money caused by the removal of his benefits led to his eating problems, and malnutrition led to his death.”

His sister said ..
    Ms Wood said: “By then it was too late, he was so fragile and unstable. We didn’t realise how bad things were.

“He found it difficult to accept help from his family because he tried to live independently so he gave the money away.

So his pride led him to give the money away which, for me, just makes the case even more tragic and sad.
    As said (again!), not as simple as you make it out to be!

It really, really is .. no benefit cut = no death.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It really, really is .. no benefit cut = no death.

If you say so :cool:

Better let the Coronor know then.
  • Options
    Forum Member

He had money. Even the £250 was given away, rather than spend it on food.
    Mark’s sister Cathie Wood, 48, of North Oxford, said: “When the police found him, there was very little food in the house, just half a banana and a tin of tuna.
    How can the family and even his GP, comment on his state of mind at the time, when THEY DIDN'T SEE HIM.
  • Options
    Mrs TeapotMrs Teapot Posts: 124,896
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    As I said, most likely the cash his mother gave him when she found out, but, as it says, it was too late. At the time his mother gave him money, it's very highly likely he was in rent arrears at the very least so he could well have elected to pay that off first.

Obviously that's pure speculation on my part, but when you're in that much trouble you are always told to try and keep a roof over your head if possible.

A little bit more detail on here with regard to the money and some other things Jason

Apparently he gave the money away and did not buy food due to his phobia, the pathologist could not confirm the cause of death as the poor mans body was decomposed. I'd say that this man lacked support in many ways prior to his death too as who the hell was there to support him in all this? How do any of us know if he went to this assessment in a state of mind that answered the questions wrongly, he could even have said that he was fit for work for all we know.

That said, it's surely common sense that a history be looked at by these people doing assessments.
  • Options
    KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    Duncan Smith will regard this as a victory. He probably keeps a tally on a blackboard. He is, by far, the most repugnant creature currently residing in Westminster, and that's saying something.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Duncan Smith will regard this as a victory. He probably keeps a tally on a blackboard. He is, by far, the most repugnant creature currently residing in Westminster, and that's saying something.

Of course he will.... in your world :p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Of course he will.... in your world :p

And clearly in your world, you must have a portrait of IDS above your fireplace ;)
  • Options
    hyperstarspongehyperstarsponge Posts: 16,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ATOS, They will hire people that press the fit for work button
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And clearly in your world, you must have a portrait of IDS above your fireplace ;)

I don't like any politician. They are all liars.
  • Options
    tim59tim59 Posts: 47,188
    Forum Member
    He had money. Even the £250 was given away, rather than spend it on food.

Which seems to say a very sick person who was not fit to work, but apart from the benefit cuts sick and disabled people are being hit with, the whole support net work is being eroded away, social care budget cuts have devastated the support net works thousands of sick and disabled adults have lost their support net works, thousands now fall outside the criteria that has now been brought in