1999-big memorable year for music?

zeebre12zeebre12 Posts: 1,167
Forum Member
✭✭✭
1999 is my favourite year for music, when I look back on the years of music in the last 20 years,compared to any other year when you look at the top 10s of the year nearly all are hits you would recognise, 1999 always seems to stick out as a big year for music with lots of big hits that are remembered today, also lots of artists that started releasing music in 1999 had their biggest hits in 1999 and had lots more success in the 00's and are still successful today-eg Britney, Christina Aguilera, westlife, Jennifer lopez, Eminem, s club 7,Enrique Iglesias, destinys child, ricky martin..also it started the europop and eurodance craze,there were also lots of dance hits that are classics today-better off alone, were going to Ibiza, blue, 9pm till I come, boom boom boom boom, praise you, back in my life, red alert, right here right now, king of my castle, witch doctor also fatboy slim was at the top of his game, backstreet boys had their biggest hits, Robbie William was huge, Shania twain was huge. the year was full of huge hits, Lou Bega- mambo number 5,

Comments

• BRITLANDBRITLAND Posts: 3,443
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Baby One More Time
    She's The One
    Genie In A Bottle
    I Want It That Way
    Flying Without Wings
    Keep On Movin
    Mambo No5
    Livin La Voda Loca
    If You Had My Love
    Blue Da Ba Dee

All brilliant tunes, though a lot of people tend to think of 1999 as the death of music or one of the worst years of music, all matter of opinion I guess but it was a game changer, can't deny it
  • RetroMusicFanRetroMusicFan Posts: 6,673
    Forum Member
    1999 was indeed a decent year for music, some great songs mentioned here, I would like to add Madonna's Beautiful Stranger to the list as I think it's one of her best songs and was just beaten to the UK number one by SClub7!
  • dd68dd68 Posts: 17,837
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Blue was out in 1999 and that is my most hated song!
  • Squealer_MahonySquealer_Mahony Posts: 6,483
    Forum Member
    99 will always be blighted for me by the hideous Lopez music. Ugh.
  • MaksonMakson Posts: 30,477
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was the year of US girlgroups ruling the charts with TLC (Fanmail) and Destiny's Child (TWOTW).
  • Luner13Luner13 Posts: 2,968
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My 1999 guilty pleasures

S Club 7 - Two In A Million
    Shanks & Bigfoot - Sweet Like Chocolate
    Christina Aguilera - Genie in a Bottle
    Macy Gray - I Try
    Aqua - Cartoon Heroes
    B*witched - Blame It on the Weatherman
    Geri Halliwell - Look At Me
    Eiffel 65 - Blue (Da Ba Dee)
    Vengaboys - We're Going to Ibiza
    Martine McCutcheon - Perfect Moment
    Wanbue Project - King of My Castle
    Alice Deejay - Better Off Alone
    Fatboy Slim - Praise You
    ATB - 9pm (Till I come)
    Shania Twain - That Don't Impress Me Much
    Blondie - Maria
    Jennifer Lopez - If You Had My Love
    Ronan Keating - When You Say Nothing At All

My BIG Fave of that year is Stereophonics - Just Looking - definetly my song of 99 and it still sounds AMAZING today.
  • aquasplash3aquasplash3 Posts: 764
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    zeebre12 wrote: »
    1999 is my favourite year for music, when I look back on the years of music in the last 20 years,compared to any other year when you look at the top 10s of the year nearly all are hits you would recognise, 1999 always seems to stick out as a big year for music with lots of big hits that are remembered today, also lots of artists that started releasing music in 1999 had their biggest hits in 1999 and had lots more success in the 00's and are still successful today-eg Britney, Christina Aguilera, westlife, Jennifer lopez, Eminem, s club 7,Enrique Iglesias, destinys child, ricky martin..also it started the europop and eurodance craze,there were also lots of dance hits that are classics today-better off alone, were going to Ibiza, blue, 9pm till I come, boom boom boom boom, praise you, back in my life, red alert, right here right now, king of my castle, witch doctor also fatboy slim was at the top of his game, backstreet boys had their biggest hits, Robbie William was huge, Shania twain was huge. the year was full of huge hits, Lou Bega- mambo number 5,

Destiny's Child debuted here in 1998 with the Top 5 hit No, No, No.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 122
    Forum Member
    Yer for one reason BRITNEY SPEARS!
  • uniqueunique Posts: 12,432
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    after looking at the tracks listed here i'm not sure if i really want to party like it's 1999 after all
  • mushymanrobmushymanrob Posts: 17,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    zeebre12 wrote: »

youve just made a strong case against 1999! :p:D

1999 was a good year, but only because you had some real trance in the lower reaches of the charts

binary finery
    veracocha
    agneli and nelson
    solar stone
    system f
    gouryella
    chicane

plus you had some uk garage :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ...but in saying that, id still prefer a chart from 1999 to todays charts, even without the trance.
  • Cat SimonCat Simon Posts: 622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My soundtrack for 1999 was 3 albums from 1998! Moon Safari by Air, Gran Turismo by The Cardigans and Cafe Del Mar V.5 by Various Artists.
  • homer2012homer2012 Posts: 5,216
    Forum Member
    1999 is a great year for music and the charts until uk garage came and wrecked everything.

Damm to go back to that year would be awesome
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I knew this thread would be a good laugh. It certainly didn't disappoint^_^
  • spyro2spyro2 Posts: 10
    Forum Member
    Destiny's Child debuted here in 1998 with the Top 5 hit No, No, No.
    Margaret Thatcher's theme! :D
  • rfonzorfonzo Posts: 11,772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I know the album was released in 1998, but I remember Lauren Hill's album The Miseducation of was very good. I think Everything is Everything was released in 1999.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    homer2012 wrote: »
    1999 is a great year for music and the charts until uk garage came and wrecked everything.

Damm to go back to that year would be awesome

BOOOO! :p ukg was great! the last (?) original genre we created!
  • Sifter22Sifter22 Posts: 12,057
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Didn't Eminem come on the scene in 1999 as well?
  • JEFF62JEFF62 Posts: 5,100
    Forum Member
    1999 was the year when the charts started to become a joke. A new number one virtually every week and nearly every number one was a new entry at number one. A week later another new entry at number one. Just had a look and there were 36 number ones in 1999, 22 of which were at the top for one week. Even Baby One More Time which was at the time the biggest selling debut ever only managed 2 weeks on top. Sure there was some good songs. this was the latino year of Ricky Martin etc. Mind you in 2000 it was even more of a joke with 43 number ones.
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    It was memorable because Britney Spears came on the scene :D Go Britney!
  • homer2012homer2012 Posts: 5,216
    Forum Member
    JEFF62 wrote: »
    1999 was the year when the charts started to become a joke. A new number one virtually every week and nearly every number one was a new entry at number one. A week later another new entry at number one. Just had a look and there were 36 number ones in 1999, 22 of which were at the top for one week. Even Baby One More Time which was at the time the biggest selling debut ever only managed 2 weeks on top. Sure there was some good songs. this was the latino year of Ricky Martin etc. Mind you in 2000 it was even more of a joke with 43 number ones.

36 number 1's because there was so much choice, commercial dance music was very in this year.

21 number 1's were 1 week only.

Look at the tunes though that got 2 number 1 and look at the songs that were top 10, some craccking tunes
    http://www.number-ones.co.uk/1999-number-ones.html
  • MaksonMakson Posts: 30,477
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    1999 was dominated by our American cousins really with Jennifer Lopez, Santana, TLC, Destiny's Child, Britney Spears, Christina Aguilera, Backstreet Boys, Eminem, etc.. all ruling the charts that year.
  • aquasplash3aquasplash3 Posts: 764
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Macy Gray was the most interesting new artist of 1999 for me.
  • rfonzorfonzo Posts: 11,772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sifter22 wrote: »
    Didn't Eminem come on the scene in 1999 as well?

Yes, with the single My Name Is. When I first saw him I thought he was going to be a one hit wonder.