Options

No make up selfie raises £1 million

James FrederickJames Frederick Posts: 53,184
Forum Member
I know there is a thread on it but that is about trying up put the trend down and say it's not a good idea but the fact that so far it has raised £1 million shows that it has in fact worked and is a great idea.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/women/womens-health/10710519/No-make-up-selfie-trend-helps-cancer-research-charity-raise-1million-in-24-hours.html

No make-up selfie’ trend helps cancer charity raise £1million in 24 hours
Cancer Research UK has seen more than 800,000 donations after a popular online campaign, asking women to post selfies with no make-up using the hashtag #nomakeupselfie, went viral

The ‘no make-up selfie’ trend has helped charity Cancer Research UK raise more than £1 million through 800,000 text donations since yesterday.

The campaign, which began on social media on Tuesday afternoon, asks women to post photos of themselves online without make-up, with the hashtag #nomakeupselfie.

Cancer Research UK told Telegraph Wonder Women that it received almost a million unexpected donations yesterday, most of which came in via text message.

The charity also saw a rise in people donating at their Cancer Research UK shops, and a huge peak in visits to its website.

The trend seems to have begun with author Laura Lippman who posted a picture of her bare face in support of actress Kim Novak who was criticised for her looks, but has since become associated with charity Cancer Research after people began adding the hashtag #breastcancerawareness to the selfies.

After noticing the trend, the charity sent out a tweet saying: “We’re loving your #cancerawareness #nomakeupselfie pics! The campaign isn’t ours but every £ helps #beatcancersooner.”

The selfie campaign has also sparked a Facebook page No Make Up Selfie For Cancer Awareness which had more than 219,000 'likes' at the time of writing.

Some celebrities are also supporting the campaign such as actress Kym Marsh and singer VV Brown who wrote on Twitter: "My aunty Sandra sadly died to Breast Cancer.This is my #nomakeupselfie for #breastcancerawareness. Spread the word!"

The #nomakeupselfie trend has been highly criticised for having little to do with breast cancer, and for not raising money for charity, but Cancer Research UK's latest comments prove those critics wrong.

Carolan Davidge, director of communications at Cancer Research UK said: "The #nomakeupselfie Twitter trend isn't something Cancer Research UK started but it's great to see so many people getting involved to help raise awareness of cancer amongst their friends and family. If people would like to choose to support our work to beat cancer sooner, they can visit cruk.org."

From the official Cancer Research Facebook page
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10152341245039474&set=a.385681134473.162742.7950759473&type=1
Hundreds of thousands of you have helped raise over £1 million (and counting) posting your ‪#‎nomakeupselfies‬ and donating to help beat cancer sooner. We’re overwhelmed by your incredible support. Our ‪#‎nomakeupselfie‬, Dr Kat, and breast cancer survivor, Sarah, want to join us in saying a huge thank you to all of you. Your support will help save lives. If you want to get involved, you can here: http://bit.ly/1gUYDI6

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 585
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm pleased for the money raised, but I hate the method. It's just the most self indulgent thing ever! I don't regret taking part.
  • Options
    kitty86kitty86 Posts: 7,034
    Forum Member
    There were plenty of people on mine who had no make up and showed off their scars, some really beautiful poignant pictures. I'm glad it's been successful and made some of these moaning Minnie's look like fools. Social media gets things done, it's happened numerous times before.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kitty86 wrote: »
    There were plenty of people on mine who had no make up and showed off their scars, some really beautiful poignant pictures. I'm glad it's been successful and made some of these moaning Minnie's look like fools. Social media gets things done, it's happened numerous times before.

Ugh, the whole "if you don't agree with something you're a miserable git" thing....because that's so mature.
  • Options
    kitty86kitty86 Posts: 7,034
    Forum Member
    Ugh, the whole "if you don't agree with something you're a miserable git" thing....because that's so mature.

There's a difference between not agreeing with something and saying horrible things about people that did take part.
  • Options
    superbass88superbass88 Posts: 543
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm pleased for the money raised, but I hate the method. It's just the most self indulgent thing ever! I don't regret taking part.

For a lot of people not wearing make up is extremely outside their comfort zone and can take a lot of guts. I know a lot of people who don't leave the house without it so I don't really think it is that self indulgent.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    There's a difference between not agreeing with something and saying horrible things about people that did take part.

I agree plus the fact they said it wasn't making money for Cancer charities is obviously wrong by about a million.

The fact we here on other sites and forums are talking about it also shows it has raised awareness.

The past ones where it was supposed to be kept a secret (the hand bag and holiday) were stupid as how can you raise awareness by keeping something a secret this one has worked beyond everybody's dreams.
  • Options
    The PrumeisterThe Prumeister Posts: 22,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree plus the fact they said it wasn't making money for Cancer charities is obviously wrong by about a million.

The fact we here on other sites and forums are talking about it also shows it has raised awareness.
    The past ones where it was supposed to be kept a secret (the hand bag and holiday) were stupid as how can you raise awareness by keeping something a secret this one has worked beyond everybody's dreams.

It's great that it has raised money; however, I would question the veracity of this campaign 'raising awareness'. What is it raising awareness of exactly? Cancer? The fact that cancer is an evil bastard disease? I think we all know that anyway and most people sadly have been affected by it. I fail to see how one of my mates posting a bare faced pic makes me any more or less aware of the fact of cancer.

IMHO, the best way to raise awareness is to read up on the different forms of the disease and the symptoms, post links to breast examination leaflets, encourage Men to check themselves etc. All these flash in the pan fads are IMHO just a form of people trying to appease their own consciences and feel they are 'doing something'.

As for the secret ones you mentioned; those were beyond embarrassing and insulting. People posting things like 'I'm expecting' - bet women rendered infertile by chemo LOVED reading those.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

In that case I apologise - I agree being personal about the people crosses a line.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    For a lot of people not wearing make up is extremely outside their comfort zone and can take a lot of guts. I know a lot of people who don't leave the house without it so I don't really think it is that self indulgent.

Maybe it's not something I can ever understand because I very rarely wear any make up. It seems very dramatic to me to be that insecure.
  • Options
    twingletwingle Posts: 19,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

have mine on my phone waiting to upload but think will just donate. It's ok these pretty young things but at my age I look horrific without make up :o
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    All these flash in the pan fads are IMHO just a form of people trying to appease their own consciences and feel they are 'doing something'.

You've summed up how I feel. It's like people are too lazy to get out there and do some real activism so they substitute it with clicking a few buttons on their computer. The worst is how coy yet smug a lot of these people seem to act over it. So tiresome.
  • Options
    ViridianaViridiana Posts: 8,017
    Forum Member
    Maybe it's not something I can ever understand because I very rarely wear any make up. It seems very dramatic to me to be that insecure.

That's a horrid generalisation and it's not even true, most people wear make not because they are insecure, but because they like to improve themselves. Plus there is a big fantasy element in it.

I'm still to meet grown woman from a certain age that does not look better with good make up, even if it's just to give the no make up flawless natural flushed skin look, that ironically is a creation of make up artists trying to recapture the beautiful skin of children.
  • Options
    November_RainNovember_Rain Posts: 9,145
    Forum Member
    I must admit I was sceptical of the whole thing at first because it wasn't clear how many people taking part were actually donating money, and I would still wager that not all of them are, but all the same £1 million raised in 24 hours is pretty impressive.

In any case I don't get why some are getting so nasty about it. Even if it is about boosting ego, as some are suggesting, Cancer Research are still benefitting from it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Viridiana wrote: »
    That's a horrid generalisation

Wow, it isn't meant to be.

Is it me or are people really touchy on this forum today? :o
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

In any case I don't get why some are getting so nasty about it.

I think people who are making personal comments are nasty, but just saying that it's not something you "get" and wondering what happened to activism that didn't just involving clicking a few buttons is not being mean, it's just having a different view of things.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I must admit I was sceptical of the whole thing at first because it wasn't clear how many people taking part were actually donating money, and I would still wager that not all of them are, but all the same £1 million raised in 24 hours is pretty impressive.

In any case I don't get why some are getting so nasty about it. Even if it is about boosting ego, as some are suggesting, Cancer Research are still benefitting from it.

For me, as I said earlier, it raises questions about what it means to 'raise awareness'. Cancer is horrible and is due to become more prevalent in our lifetime. It's important that people are aware of the symptoms of all the various types and educate themselves accordingly.

What sticks in my craw with these campaigns, is that if you don't want to take part and say no you are accused of 'not caring'. I regularly give money to cancer research and don't feel the need to tell everyone. It's the insufferable smugness and supposed superiority of those taking part that gets my goat. Let's raise awareness by educating ourselves about the disease not posting pictures on Facebook.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I think people who are making personal comments are nasty, but just saying that it's not something you "get" and wondering what happened to activism that didn't just involving clicking a few buttons is not being mean, it's just having a different view of things.

Some people don't have the time to go out there so do whatever little they can to help the fact this has made more money than they would if people did go out there.

Plus look at other threads people moan even more by the ones who do go out there to raise money.

This is simple easy and has raised £1 million in 24 hours.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can someone tell me what new things they have specifically learnt about Cancer from this campaign?

Survival rates?

Different types?

Preventative measures?

Treatments?

Things that you didn't know before your mates started posting pictures with no make up on.

I'm not knocking the money raised; I'm asking specifically about what awareness this campaign has elicited?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Can someone tell me what new things they have specifically learnt about Cancer from this campaign?

Survival rates?

Different types?

Preventative measures?

Treatments?

Things that you didn't know before your mates started posting pictures with no make up on.

I'm not knocking the money raised; I'm asking specifically about what awareness this campaign has elicited?

It's to raise awayness to check yourself and some will have done just that and who knows someone may just have found something that needs to be checked out and it may just have saved their life.
  • Options
    TrollHunterTrollHunter Posts: 12,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This is one of those times that the end justified the means.

It started off as a very narcissistic campaign for vain people to indulge themselves by posting slightly unflattering photos of themselves to their friends, who by virtue of being their friends would post comments in the form of, "you're still gorgeous babe xxx", resulting in both validation of their (perceived) beauty PLUS doing something for cancer.

Fast forward a few days and the 'doing something for cancer' bit has resulted in donations of over a million pounds, so what was initially a tedious, tawdry display of self-aggrandisement has now become something very beneficial for cancer charities.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's to raise awayness to check yourself and some will have done just that and who knows someone may just have found something that needs to be checked out and it may just have saved their life.

It wasn't to start with though, and that's the point many are making. It was just a silly craze - take a photo of yourself with no make-up somehow equated to raising awareness of cancer.

None of the photos mentioned exactly HOW awareness would be raised, other than by getting lots of 'Likes' for cancer.
    None of the photos mentioned anything about fund-raising, volunteering or giving donations.
    It was only when there was a backlash of criticism about the triviality of the whole thing that the talk of checking yourself for lumps arose and donations started pouring in.

This whole craze showed the usefulness and pointlessness of social media in equal measures.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

That's not quite what I asked.

How has looking at pictures of your friends with no make up on made you 'more' aware of cancer?

Are you seriously suggesting that these selfies have instigated a proliferation of self checks that wouldn't have happened without this campaign?

A woman sitting down last night logs onto FB, sees her mate posted a pic and then thinks 'better check my breasts'. That this wouldn't have happened anyway or from seeing - for example, a Race for Life ad on telly?

I'm not trying to be obtuse or facetious and genuine kudos for the money raised. But I do not accept that this campaign has raised awareness that wasn't there already.

Just my opinion.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ^^^ To be fair, a no make-up selfie wouldn't have made people more aware but the momentum from the whole craze HAS. Although manyof the selfies don't specifically refer to donations or checking yourself, the articles and comments SINCE it started have, so in essence, the whole craze has increased awareness, albeit not necessarily in the way that it perhaps set out to do.
  • Options
    ViridianaViridiana Posts: 8,017
    Forum Member
    Wow, it isn't meant to be.

Is it me or are people really touchy on this forum today? :o

But it is.
    There are a million reasons people make up on, you can just tar everyone with the same brush (no pun intended). I'm not a very disciplined person, so i always admired people that actually bother to look the best they can everyday. I love those old ladies, that to their dying day do not forget to put their red lipstick on, a bit of mascara and come out always beautiful turn out. Can you call them insecure?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ^^^ To be fair, a no make-up selfie wouldn't have made people more aware but the momentum from the whole craze HAS. Although manyof the selfies don't specifically refer to donations or checking yourself, the articles and comments SINCE it started have, so in essence, the whole craze has increased awareness, albeit not necessarily in the way that it perhaps set out to do.[/QUOTE]

Yes, absolutely. As you yourself said, people complained about the shallowness of the whole thing and suddenly people started using their noggins a bit more and actually posting links to useful stuff. Would have been useful, and a lot more credible if they'd cut out the first bit and just done the second

I just do not buy this notion that we're all ignorant or uncaring about cancer until people on Facebook tell us we are.