Barcelona given transfer ban.

2»

Comments

• PeePee Posts: 8,154
    Forum Member
    we'll see. I'll be highly surprised if those deals aren't allowed to go through.
  • Wallasey SaintWallasey Saint Posts: 7,620
    Forum Member
    Pee wrote: »
    Pique's out for 3-4 weeks, but as I already expected to lose the CdR final with or without him, I don't think it'll make too much of a difference to the overall picture. La Liga should be fine, as the fixtures aren't too bad between now and the Atletico game. Valdes is clearly the bigger (and longer) loss, as Pinto seemingly has to have 2 or 3 brainfarts per game in order to show just how much of a maverick character he is. I'd like to think they could still win the CL with him between the sticks, but I seriously doubt it.

next season is obviously a major problem though, as Valdes and Puyol need replacing, and backups are required for the replacements.

what happened when Chelsea had their ban? did they appeal?

Chelsea got the ban overturned as CAS concluded the player didn't have a valid contract with this previous club.

It's not a one off like in Chelsea's case, but a few players Barcelona signed to their academy.
    Fifa rules state that international transfers are only permitted for players over the age of 18 - unless the player in question meets one of three qualifying criteria.
    Under-18s can move to a club in a different country if their parents move there for non-footballing reasons, if they are from another nation within the European Union or European Economic Area and aged between 16 and 18, or if they live within 100km of the club.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well done FIFA for actually punishing them.

So potentially, Pinto in goal next season and no new centre halves.

Terrific.
  • celesticelesti Posts: 25,957
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wouldn't be surprised if they can at least appeal a little leeway for their goalkeeping situation.
  • kendogukkendoguk Posts: 13,804
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If they signed players while breaking the rules they shouldn't be allowed any leeway they should use the keepers they signed whilst breaking the rules.
  • Tel69Tel69 Posts: 26,945
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Poor Nicklas Bendtner, who will he join now? #pray for Bendtner.
  • 007Fusion007Fusion Posts: 3,657
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So the big guns do get punished. Wonder if and when the punishment for neymar will be canceled out due to this punishment

This crime is minor compared to the unscrupulous Neymar deal. I'm expecting further sanctions once this one has been resolved.
  • RazorOzRazorOz Posts: 642
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What is the legality of some of these issues in this. I can see being able to ban them from buying players. But banning them from selling? Is that even legal? Say you have a player not playing and he wants out, can FIFA really ban him from being able to move. I would have thought there is some kind of law against that.

If Guillem Balague is right anyway, he was making out on the radio earlier today that Barcelona will have 90 days to appeal and then the appeal process will likely take a long time, which even if it doesn't get overturned will likely mean the ban will not effect the upcoming transfer window.
  • Mark FMark F Posts: 53,766
    Forum Member
    Jamesp84 wrote: »
    In news that will be a surprise to nobody, Barcelona have appealed.
    [/URL]

and got the ban over-turned (suspended)

Much like Chelsea a few years ago.
  • Tal'shiarTal'shiar Posts: 2,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    haha, I wonder if they paid a few of the right people to get it overturned. I do feel for the smaller clubs when the big ones can just buy themselves out of things such as these.
  • JokanovicJokanovic Posts: 12,174
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Barcelona have been getting away with it for years so this is no surprise.
  • PeePee Posts: 8,154
    Forum Member
    the punishment hasn't been overturned, just suspended pending appeal.

the amount of conspiracy-theory nonsense spouted around here regarding Barca is ridiculous.
  • walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,787
    Forum Member
    Mark F wrote: »
    and got the ban over-turned (suspended)

Much like Chelsea a few years ago.

It hasn't been overturned at all.