Options

Baby on board signs for the car - Yay or nay?

mrsmoosemrsmoose Posts: 2,090
Forum Member
✭✭✭
So my husband and I had this discussion last night, i'm currently 5 months pregnant and we were discussing what we still needed to buy before our new arrival. He said one thing he definitely didn't want was a "Baby on board" sign in the car because he thinks they are tacky.
Before I was pregnant i was in the mindset that having one of those signs wouldn't make an idiot behind you drive any better just because you have one of those signs so what's the point? But since becoming pregnant i've come round to the idea of having one.

Just wondered what the opinions of others were?

Did you have one, or did you refuse to buy one?

Would you/did you have a "Baby on board" sign for your car 112 votes

Yes
14% 16 votes
No
85% 96 votes

Comments

• Options
    shmiskshmisk Posts: 7,963
    Forum Member
    Nay
    And nay to the badges for pregnant women london underground give out too
  • Options
    InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,706
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I suspect the statistics probably show they make no difference at all because by the time someone sees the sign they're already too close to you to avoid going into the back of you anyway. But I suppose for the cost and if it makes you feel a bit more safe driving then just get one. They're harmless really.
  • Options
    2shy20072shy2007 Posts: 52,579
    Forum Member
    A thousand times nay.
  • Options
    kippehkippeh Posts: 6,655
    Forum Member
    HERE!!!!!!

I have a line on DS thread Bingo!!
  • Options
    Jesse PinkmanJesse Pinkman Posts: 5,794
    Forum Member
    Nay!

For what do we want or need to know?

It's yet more of the "I've dropped out a baby and so think I'm wonderful and so much better than people with no children."

Sad that that is their greatest achievement as mostly anyone can do it.
  • Options
    collitcollit Posts: 787
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nay, nay and thrice nay!
    Stupid, tacky and pointless.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    In all seriousness it doesn't affect anyone's driving or what paramedics look for in a crash (car seats tend to point towards infant)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They were originally introduced so that emergency services knew that there was a baby to be found in the case of a serious accident. But they were obviously meant to be displayed when there WAS a baby on board, not stuck permanently to the back window. Also, babies are almost always strapped into a baby seat now, not, as previously, on a lap or in a carrycot on the floor.

So no, there is no point in them.

On the other hand, why not? Even if they are just there to demonstrate pride and gratitude in this wonderful little person, that seems ok to me. If people feel so very sour and resentful because they do not share this pride and gratitude, perhaps they could fix something equivalent to their own back windows. A statement from an investment company perhaps, showing how much money they have.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    They were originally introduced so that emergency services knew that there was a baby to be found in the case of a serious accident. But they were obviously meant to be displayed when there WAS a baby on board, not stuck permanently to the back window. Also, babies are almost always strapped into a baby seat now, not, as previously, on a lap or in a carrycot on the floor.

So no, there is no point in them.

On the other hand, why not? Even if they are just there to demonstrate pride and gratitude in this wonderful little person, that seems ok to me. If people feel so very sour and resentful because they do not share this pride and gratitude, perhaps they could fix something equivalent to their own back windows. A statement from an investment company perhaps, showing how much money they have.
    Or all their negative pregnancy tests.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    A statement from an investment company perhaps, showing how much money they have.

"Money on Board" might attract thieves and other highway bandits.
  • Options
    molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We have a dogs on board sticker so in an accident people would know to look for them, I see it as a safety thing to have one because who knows in an accident would they find the dog or child straight away ?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    molliepops wrote: »
    We have a dogs on board sticker so in an accident people would know to look for them, I see it as a safety thing to have one because who knows in an accident would they find the dog or child straight away ?

I hate to say but I think in the event if an accident paramedics wouldn't look for the dog, human life would be the priority

Plus they are to trained in animal care
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    shmisk wrote: »
    Or all their negative pregnancy tests.

I am extremely sympathetic to infertile people, and would help if I could. But there is no point in focusing on a five inch window sticker, when their feelings are harrowed on a daily basis by the sight of actual babies.

I am afraid I do think mothers have the right to show pride in their children even though it was luck, not skill and patience, that generally brought them into being, just people are allowed to feel pride in other biological accidents, such as a lovely voice, or the ability to run.
  • Options
    Forum Member

I just see them as an inert, twee novelty that some mums like to have on their cars as a kind of safety placebo.
  • Options
    angelafisherangelafisher Posts: 4,150
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Never had a "baby on board" plate on mine, but a friend gave me a "mum's taxi" one which I do use. It's a true reflection on the majority of my driving!
  • Options
    Kiko H FanKiko H Fan Posts: 6,546
    Forum Member
    Never had a "baby on board" plate on mine, but a friend gave me a "mum's taxi" one which I do use. It's a true reflection on the majority of my driving!

You get "Prince/Princess on board" but the worst one was one I saw on two separate vehicles. It had stick-style pictures of a mother, father, son and daughter with the caption "Perfect Family On Board".
  • Options
    shankly123shankly123 Posts: 598
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

That would only be a valid use if you took it out every time you drove without the baby/ dog on board - most of the ones I've seen are permanently attached, so would waste the paramedics' time looking when there isn't a baby/ dog to be found.

I do resent the implication in these stickers that I should drive more carefully because the may be a baby in the car - I consider that I always drive safely and do not need to be reminded to do so. Those who don't drive carefully are unlikely to take any notice.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Kiko H Fan wrote: »
    You get "Prince/Princess on board" but the worst one was one I saw on two separate vehicles. It had stick-style pictures of a mother, father, son and daughter with the caption "Perfect Family On Board".

No doubt on a car driven by two white lesbians and a black kid, being the UK.
  • Options
    SurferfishSurferfish Posts: 7,659
    Forum Member
    In an ideal world they should not be necessary. Everyone should drive sensibly with respect for others. Unfortunately though we do not live in an ideal world and some people drive like d1cks.

An alpha male in a BMW who likes to drive 12 inches behind the car in front at 80mph on the motorway MIGHT just have second thoughts when he sess a BOB sticker. He MIGHT just think what if it was my own wife and kid in the car in front, and it MIGHT make him back off slightly.

So for that reason I don't see any harm in them.
  • Options
    exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member
    They should be now seen as a warning of shitty nappies being thrown out the window.
  • Options
    collitcollit Posts: 787
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Kiko H Fan wrote: »

I'm not sure if seeing this would alter my driving style, but I'd be hard pressed not to vomit all down the back of their tailgate.
  • Options
    EmilyJEGEmilyJEG Posts: 539
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think they are tacky. Who cares whether there's a "baby on board"? People are going to drive how they drive, regardless of what you've got in your car. And I doubt paramedics are going to waste time looking for a sign in a window to say you've got a baby on board - as others have said, they'd more likely take the car seat as a sign (and if you've strapped your baby in properly, it'll most likely still be in there).

Oh, and I say this as someone who is also pregnant. I don't drive, but maybe I should consider getting a "baby on board" sign for the bus window?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    johnF1971 wrote: »
    An alpha male in a BMW who likes to drive 12 inches behind the car in front at 80mph on the motorway MIGHT just have second thoughts when he sess a BOB sticker. He MIGHT just think what if it was my own wife and kid in the car in front, and it MIGHT make him back off slightly.

When I had my last BMW I saw them as an invitation to overtake dangerously, knowing that the mum in her Zafira would be too busy dodging sick and half-eaten jelly tots to try and race me.
  • Options
    Pumping IronPumping Iron Posts: 29,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm going against the grain and say yay. I don't have a baby, but would happily have one if I did :)
  • Options
    UKMikeyUKMikey Posts: 28,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I couldn't find the poll for this thread but I've got nothing against smug parents displaying this in their back windows. It's no skin off my nose.