Do you believe in God? (Part 2)

Comments

• Options
    alan29alan29 Posts: 34,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kimindex wrote: »
    Not uniquely.

Satire/ridicule can also be about signalling to others (propaganda, even) and dealing with pomposity and establishment certainties.

I don't think people like Jonathan Swift were just about self-confirmation. (Not that I'm suggesting that all ridicule on here is for noble purposes or reaches any particular heights or doesn't just amount to rudeness (on both sides). But those who complain about it should maybe not use it themselves, as with rudeness).

You're right, of course.
    If some of the ridicule on forums rose to the genius of Swift, it might seem less boorish.
    Any, that's enough. It sunny, and I have a motorbike that is feeling neglected, and Wales is full of sheep that need a little excitement.
  • Options
    kimindexkimindex Posts: 68,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    alan29 wrote: »
    You're right, of course.
    If some of the ridicule on forums rose to the genius of Swift, it might seem less boorish.
    Any, that's enough. It sunny, and I have a motorbike that is feeling neglected, and Wales is full of sheep that need a little excitement.
    It's good to see someone unembarrassed about his hobbies!
  • Options
    bollywoodbollywood Posts: 67,769
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't think BatGirl was just deliberately trying to find a way to make religion look bad - I'm sure it's a genuine heartfelt belief for her.

But I think you may have highlighted important points. First that this is a worst case scenario - and I guess we could find worst case scenarios in all aspects of life; nationalism, politics, rationalism, maybe even science. I guess the counter argument for an atheist is that these are valuable things whereas religion is disposable with no adverse effect.

Secondly, that there is nothing in essence in religion creating abuse of fellow humans - and that without religion the abuse would remain with a different dressing. That's what my natural reaction is - but I was finding it harder to argue in this instance.

The problem is you can't pull the fangs of religion (by not allowing experiences of God) without denying it its essence - then it ceases to be.

I guess if you genuinely believe Religion is a major source of suffering in the world you must act to try to reduce that source. Any notion of a sanitised religion is a non starter. I guess I'm just reluctant to accept what that implies about our motives and roles as posters here and the ever diminishing amount of common ground.

:(

Religion is not a major source of suffering in the world. People's behavior towards others is a major source of suffering in the world.

The logic of some nonbelievers is flawed on this point.

If there is no God, then God could not have caused people to act evilly toward each other.

So controlling behavior came from natural selection.

People then created religion ( a falsehood) as a way to control others and make them suffer.

If you take away the false religion, then people find another method to control others and make them suffer.

So the fault must be in natural selection.
  • Options
    Richard46Richard46 Posts: 59,834
    Forum Member
    CLL Dodge wrote: »
    Dennett's is rather an extreme position, much criticised, e.g.:

~ John Searle

~ Raymond Tallis

(Searle is an agnostic philosopher, Tallis an atheist neuroscientist).

Yes I am aware he arouses criticism not sure why their stance on gods is pertinent.

On my central contention however I will use a brief version of one of his arguments.

If consciousness is not material in origin how does it command our actions? Thoughts become speech or fingers on a keyboard or flight from a predator. All such actions are mechanical and therefore must themselves be triggered by a mechanical cause. They cannot be triggered by something that does not possess physical energy Something that has no energy cannot move a physical object or we are defying the laws of physics.

“Energy cannot be created or destroyed, it can only be changed from one form to another.”

― Albert Einstein

We experience consciousness but not the 'mechanisms' that give rise to it. It is therefore very difficult for us to make the connection but cut your hand and we have no problem seeing the connection between that and the pain because we can see the direct link between the physical and our feelings.

It's stuff all the way down; 2+2=4* ;-)

*Thanks for that KJ44 I have my motto if I had a coat of arms.
  • Options
    bollywoodbollywood Posts: 67,769
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Richard46 wrote: »
    Yes I am aware he arouses criticism not sure why their stance on gods is pertinent.

On my central contention however I will use a brief version of one of his arguments.

If consciousness is not material in origin how does it command our actions? Thoughts become speech or fingers on a keyboard or flight from a predator. All such actions are mechanical and therefore must themselves be triggered by a mechanical cause. They cannot be triggered by something that does not possess physical energy Something that has no energy cannot move a physical object or we are defying the laws of physics.

“Energy cannot be created or destroyed, it can only be changed from one form to another.”

― Albert Einstein

We experience consciousness but not the 'mechanisms' that give rise to it. It is therefore very difficult for us to make the connection but cut your hand and we have no problem seeing the connection between that and the pain because we can see the direct link between the physical and our feelings.

It's stuff all the way down; 2+2=4 ;-)

They are two entirely different concepts (that consciousness is material, or not).

In the hypothesis that consciousness extends beyond the brain, the brain is a receptor and filter for consciousness. Our left hemisphere ( although both work together) filters consciousness, controls input and converts consciousness into language.

There is no explanation that says consciousness extending beyond the brain is not possible.

It seems more likely than not.
  • Options
    grantus_maxgrantus_max Posts: 2,744
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bollywood wrote: »
    There is no explanation that says consciousness extending beyond the brain is not possible.

That's a neat reversal of the burden of proof there. To support your premise, you need to provide evidential support for it. You are claiming that someone else has to do the legwork to prove that such a mechanism doesn't exist. Poor form.
    bollywood wrote: »
    It seems more likely than not.

To you obviously, but as you've delegated the work required to demonstrate your premise to someone else, perhaps you don't have the confidence to support what seems to you to be the case. Until you've done that, there's no way to differentiate your assertion from baseless opinion.
  • Options
    MrQuikeMrQuike Posts: 18,175
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

― Albert Einstein

Does this mean you believe you are your body? - (though mostly the brain bit obviously) - and given it's the body moving energy or heat around do you like like Brian Cox consider us all heat engines? I find that a very unusual idea. Please correct me if I misunderstand.

PS.. This is one of the reasons I prefer a philosophical idealist approach to this matter. To be honest I think it's two sides of the same coin (both being monist) as I've said before.. but the difference is I get the opportunity to exist in a real way without the strings attached).
  • Options
    CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,870
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

Just to emphasise that this is a philosophical and scientific issue, not an issue between believers and non-believers (as this thread title would imply).

Searle goes into more detail on the nature of consciousness in this video clip:

http://www.closertotruth.com/video-profile/Can-Brain-Explain-Mind-John-Searle-/158
  • Options
    archiverarchiver Posts: 13,011
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    imrightok wrote: »
    So you feel that. 'ridiculing' will somehow change a believers mind on their beliefs?
    I do hope so, yes. There's always the possibility a believer who isn't completely convinced will see how ridiculous their beliefs are and change their mind. But I do see how the reverse can be true for particularly bone headed believers who will find their beliefs strengthened by the ridicule of others. :confused:
    alan29 wrote: »
    It never does that.
    Ridicule is all about reinforcing ones own opinions to oneself.
    Partly, perhaps, but certainly not all. As a teacher you really should know that. :)

Just seen your reply to kimindex and I'll try to improve the quality of ridicule if I use it in future. Hope you enjoy(ed) your bike ride.
  • Options
    Keyser_Soze1Keyser_Soze1 Posts: 25,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    archiver wrote: »
    If there was some way to easily and exactly compare our spiritual experiences, I'm sure you'd have had some which most would say fit the category and I'm sure some would want to restrict calling experiences 'spiritual' to a very small set of criteria. Can't be done, so anything really from comfortable self satisfaction after a good days work to full on in yer face absolute oneness (imho).

I agree about the chemistry, but I doubt you're wired differently. ;-)

Good point. :)

I remember watching a groundbreaking documentary by the BBC on the Great White Shark (my favourite animal on the planet) in 1995 and some of the footage made the hair stand up on the back of my neck.

Awesome. :cool:
  • Options
    KJ44KJ44 Posts: 38,093
    Forum Member
    CLL Dodge wrote: »
    ~ Dennett
    ~ John Searle
    ~ Raymond Tallis

Dan Dennett writes clearly and simply, which is how and why I agree with him. I know nothing of Tallis, and I don't like his writing style at all based upon your quote.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Breaking_the_Spell:_Religion_as_a_Natural_Phenomenon

Breaking the Spell: Religion as a Natural Phenomenon is a 2006 book by the American philosopher and cognitive scientist, Daniel Dennett, which argues for a scientific analysis of religion in order to predict the future of this phenomenon. Dennett implies that the spell he hopes to break is not religious belief itself, but the conviction that religion is off-limits to scientific inquiry.
    (KJ underline)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    That's a neat reversal of the burden of proof there. To support your premise, you need to provide evidential support for it. You are claiming that someone else has to do the legwork to prove that such a mechanism doesn't exist. Poor form.

To you obviously, but as you've delegated the work required to demonstrate your premise to someone else, perhaps you don't have the confidence to support what seems to you to be the case. Until you've done that, there's no way to differentiate your assertion from baseless opinion.

Thanks gm and precisely.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks gm and precisely.

*doffs cap* :cool:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    MrQuike wrote: »
    Does this mean you believe you are your body? - (though mostly the brain bit obviously) - and given it's the body moving energy or heat around do you like like Brian Cox consider us all heat engines? I find that a very unusual idea. Please correct me if I misunderstand.

PS.. This is one of the reasons I prefer a philosophical idealist approach to this matter. To be honest I think it's two sides of the same coin (both being monist) as I've said before.. but the difference is I get the opportunity to exist in a real way without the strings attached).

Yea but you are one of those splitter, surrender monkey, Thing Monists; I am a Stuff Monist. We are the real thing. ;-):D

Seriously Q I think you probably have understood me correctly there. I would say that you calling other people's ideas unusual takes commendable front not to say nerve. :)
  • Options
    KJ44KJ44 Posts: 38,093
    Forum Member
    I have sent a prayer to the powers that be about the thread title. As High Priestess I ask you to send your sacrifices to KJ Towers.
  • Options
    Alex_Davies1973Alex_Davies1973 Posts: 989
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There is nothing wrong with poking fun at religion ,As you know atheist all so get it done to them.
  • Options
    spiney2spiney2 Posts: 27,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

― Albert Einstein

puting the mind-body problem to one side, conservation of energy was Joules & co. einstein was on about matter-energy equivalence.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    we couldnt decide if god1 existed. hoping for better outcome with god2 .......
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There is nothing wrong with poking fun at religion ,As you know atheist all so get it done to them.

I think the believers have to put up with a lot more stick on here though, to be fair.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    john searles argument that computation alone is not sufficient for mind is a very good one. but it has nothing to do with gods existence.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dan dennett is a doctrinaire atheist and dogmatic physicalist. so not much help with this subject ......
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i see no good reason why robots cannot debate the existence of god, although of course they would not be conscious of doing so ......
  • Options
    Forum Member
    spiney2 wrote: »
    puting the mind-body problem to one side, conservation of energy was Joules & co. einstein was on about matter-energy equivalence.

Thanks noted.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,899
    Forum Member

Yes, there is something wrong.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    spiney2 wrote: »
    dan dennett is a doctrinaire atheist and dogmatic physicalist. so not much help with this subject ......

Of course only people who don't have an opinion can have a valid opinion.