Amazing Greys: The Generation Game of the 21st Century?

yorksdaveyorksdave Posts: 3,228
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Amazing Greys is an upcoming ITV primetime game show hosted by Paddy McGuinness and Angela Rippon

The show is set to debut on ITV on 12 April 2014 (at 8.30pm)
The show proposes to pair a duo, an 'older star with a younger partner'. The show is expected to be equally entertaining as the successful hot favorite, The Generation Game. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amazing_Greys

Sounds like the Generation Game meets You Bet, Dont Try this at Home, and sounds promising.

Comments

• Steve9214Steve9214 Posts: 8,404
    Forum Member
    yorksdave wrote: »
    Sounds like the Generation Game meets You Bet, Dont Try this at Home, and sounds promising.

And if that wasn't the pitch to the ITV executives I will eat my hat !!!
  • kezokezo Posts: 11,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They could have come up with a better title really?? Amazing Greys is not that far off the song "amazing grace" :o (not slating programme but just names of these gameshows now - can't come up with better names?)
  • pburke90pburke90 Posts: 14,757
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Amazing Greys, as if to say that grey haired, i.e. old people can still be good at stuff.

Yawn. Paddy McGuinness. No. Angela Rippon paired with him? Car crash TV. I'm not even gonna tune in for the novelty of enjoying their awkwardness together and what is probably a crap format of a show.
  • RadioKnowerRadioKnower Posts: 2,272
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kezo wrote: »
    They could have come up with a better title really?? Amazing Greys is not that far off the song "amazing grace" :o (not slating programme but just names of these gameshows now - can't come up with better names?)
    Yes, I agree with that I'm hoping that whoever came up with the title takes legal action.

Also I found out that 'Big Brother' is the name of something in a book by George Orwell, so I'd be surprised if his legal team don't have words about it.

And the local Chinese had been doing 'Saturday Night Takeaways' for years before the show of the same name started on ITV. That Ant & Dec will be in for it when the owner finds out.
  • davadsdavads Posts: 8,640
    Forum Member
    kezo wrote: »
    They could have come up with a better title really?? Amazing Greys is not that far off the song "amazing grace"

Well, yes - presumably the pun is the point of the title, no?
  • Pink KnightPink Knight Posts: 24,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its not about the most reported alien type then ?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    davads wrote: »
    Well, yes - presumably the pun is the point of the title, no?

It is just a silly title for a programme that was my point - nothing else, they may as well have called it "battle of the generations" or as mentioned "generation games" - amazing greys really? Its just as bad as "take me out" - that may as well be a boxing game :p
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, I agree with that I'm hoping that whoever came up with the title takes legal action.

Also I found out that 'Big Brother' is the name of something in a book by George Orwell, so I'd be surprised if his legal team don't have words about it.

And the local Chinese had been doing 'Saturday Night Takeaways' for years before the show of the same name started on ITV. That Ant & Dec will be in for it when the owner finds out.

It is just in short lazy naming these shows - why not have given it a bit of a more exciting title? Seen trailers for it anyway - does nothing for me if I am honest but first thing that keeps popping in my head is the song "amazing grace" :D
  • yorksdaveyorksdave Posts: 3,228
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Having watched the first programme, got to say its OK, not sure if its a grower or if it will fail to get a second series.
  • FinalAnswer?FinalAnswer? Posts: 1,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was inoffensive but not Saturday night TV.

Mentioned it in the Ratings thread but it feels more like an early evening Sunday show.

From what I heard on Twitter the producers had to make the games easier for the contestants :D
  • lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

What was the question on Big Brother? I would expect just about everyone to be aware of 1984 but it goes back much further than that, the capitalised term was used as person in authority as early as 1843, in literature both H G Wells and Joyce used the term before Orwell.
  • humbug333humbug333 Posts: 610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pointless programme. Another excuse for ITV to give the talentless Paddy McGuinness a fat wage packet...
  • phill363phill363 Posts: 24,312
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was ok actually
  • Nesta RobbinsNesta Robbins Posts: 30,799
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    phill363 wrote: »
    It was ok actually
    Oh there is a thread - I began to think I'd dreamt it! :p Lead on nicely from the final act of BGT. Loved the sports challenges and the rest was entertaining enough, although was surprised that Diddy David didn't recognise Kylie. :D Angela tends to come over a bit too twee and smug, but I think that's just her! Will tune in again next week.
  • habbyhabby Posts: 10,027
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Did I miss something?

Why were there so many old people against just 2 young people?
  • AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    habby wrote: »
    Did I miss something?

Why were there so many old people against just 2 young people?

Well it's like a kind of format used on The Chase.

I actually quite liked it.
    It's sort of patronising, but I think with a show like this that is pretty much unavoidable. And dare I say nigh on impossible to avoid with Paddy McGuiness presenting it.:D
    But it was entertaining nonsense fun and I enjoyed it.

There's something satisfyingly funny about watching some confident young upstart getting their arse kicked by old people.:D
  • zoepaulpennyzoepaulpenny Posts: 15,951
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Angela rippon is getting more TV time.. with either repeats or new pointless programs.
  • xNATILLYxxNATILLYx Posts: 6,509
    Forum Member
    It was an ok show - i agree it is refreshing & funny to see younger people get beat by oldies. Sends out a good message.
  • Jason100Jason100 Posts: 17,222
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Paddy McGuniess & Angela Rippon?

That's an unusual combination!
  • Billy_ValueBilly_Value Posts: 22,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jason100 wrote: »
    Paddy McGuniess & Angela Rippon?

That's an unusual combination!

they are not having sex
  • RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    Never mind the programme, what the hell is Angela wearing?
  • MutterMutter Posts: 3,269
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I saw a teeny bit last week and turned off, made me embarrassed to be old. As for the prissy Rippon woman, she's as bad as Gloria Hunniford.

I saw that Angela Rippon was so desperate to secure her place that she's dyed her blond look grey with a blue rinse.
  • habbyhabby Posts: 10,027
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Now whats the point of having a bloke who's been playing bowls for over 60 years against a young kid who's played once? Did they think the young bloke would win? :confused:
  • GroundhogalGroundhogal Posts: 9,491
    Forum Member
    How sweet the sound? I suppose it sounds a marginally better name than Patronise The Crumblies.
  • InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,702
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeah agreed... very strange show. If the point is to show that older people are just as good as younger people... why are the older people all "experts" in their fields and the younger guy seems not to be? It just strikes me as imbalanced in favour of the older folk which is ironic if the entire point of the show was to show they're equal.

I mean it was nice to see the lady beat him at weight lifting.. fair play to her. But the bowls challenge just seemed very unfair to me. I can't see how age would be an advantage against someone with so many years experience.