History Channel

dachsedachse Posts: 582
Forum Member
✭✭
Can we complain based on the 'trades description act' about the History channel (You View 432)?
Having only recently upgraded my BT Youview to receive the extra channels via fibre BB I originally though that the History channel might be interesting. How wrong could I be (and how misleading is the name).
There is nothing that vaguely could be described as History. It's all umpteen episodes per day of storage wars, pawn stars, shipping wars and similar stuff.
Was it ever a real history channel or has it always been so cr4p. How does it justify the name?
:confused:

Comments

• steveh31steveh31 Posts: 13,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dachse wrote: »
    Can we complain based on the 'trades description act' about the History channel (You View 432)?
    Having only recently upgraded my BT Youview to receive the extra channels via fibre BB I originally though that the History channel might be interesting. How wrong could I be (and how misleading is the name).
    There is nothing that vaguely could be described as History. It's all umpteen episodes per day of storage wars, pawn stars, shipping wars and similar stuff.
    Was it ever a real history channel or has it always been so cr4p. How does it justify the name?
    :confused:

Could I complain the Dave isn't full of men called Dave or GOLD doesn't have any GOLD items on it or there are no Foxes on Fox. ;-)
  • rfonzorfonzo Posts: 11,772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have not watched the History for a long time. Like the the Biography channel I think it has gone down hill.
  • Bill ClintonBill Clinton Posts: 9,389
    Forum Member
    steveh31 wrote: »
    Could I complain the Dave isn't full of men called Dave or GOLD doesn't have any GOLD items on it or there are no Foxes on Fox. ;-)

Don't dismiss his complaint like that, it's kind of not too unreasonable to expect a channel that calls itself "History" to actually give us some History programmes once in a while but they're full of lightweight programmes about rednecks, loggers and tat selling auctions and god knows what else, the programmes themselves are fairly moronic but I wouldn't mind so much if they stuck all of them on another channel name and brought back some proper history shows on a channel called "History". Even H2 where some of the real history programmes seemed to come back to for a little while is now mostly used ridiculously, showing programmes such as MASH and Ancient Aliens all the time.
    A while ago they had History showing quite a lot of History as well as really interesting factual programmes like The Universe and Life After People that even though whilst they weren't strictly history were still pretty worthy programmes, and then it became full of what you might call reality crap. But before that they had a lineup of History, History+1 and Military History so they were reasonable channels to have, then they went and axed Military History as well, when really you were left wondering why on digital TV they couldn't have decided to provide both Military History and the new H2 together, even if they had to close History+1 to do it.

Anyway after dropping documentaries, I saw some familiar names crop up on Lifetime which is owned by A&E, History's owner. So if they can show the likes of Storage Wars on there, and if they are as popular as they seem to think they are, can't they stop pissing off documentary fans by favouring these programmes over proper documentaries on a channel called "History" and just create a bloody separate entertainment channel for them and then we'd all be happy!

I've complained myself here on DS about this and have dropped the documentary package as well, because we have to pay extra for this crap and not get to watch any proper documentaries
  • VerenceVerence Posts: 104,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    There's always Discovery History and PBS America
  • swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,111
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    The History Channel used to have history documentaries until..........not sure, about 3 years ago ?

Then they went 'reality TV' full time

And H2 started........which seems to be the place for the shows that used to be on the History Channel, ie History documentaries and all the Ancient Aliens shows with a bit of RTV

No doubt in a couple of years H2 will be all RTV and we'll get H3............and so on
  • CaxtonCaxton Posts: 28,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't dismiss his complaint like that, it's kind of not too unreasonable to expect a channel that calls itself "History" to actually give us some History programmes once in a while but they're full of lightweight programmes about rednecks, loggers and tat selling auctions and god knows what else, the programmes themselves are fairly moronic but I wouldn't mind so much if they stuck all of them on another channel name and brought back some proper history shows on a channel called "History". Even H2 where some of the real history programmes seemed to come back to for a little while is now mostly used ridiculously, showing programmes such as MASH and Ancient Aliens all the time.
    A while ago they had History showing quite a lot of History as well as really interesting factual programmes like The Universe and Life After People that even though whilst they weren't strictly history were still pretty worthy programmes, and then it became full of what you might call reality crap. But before that they had a lineup of History, History+1 and Military History so they were reasonable channels to have, then they went and axed Military History as well, when really you were left wondering why on digital TV they couldn't have decided to provide both Military History and the new H2 together, even if they had to close History+1 to do it.

Anyway after dropping documentaries, I saw some familiar names crop up on Lifetime which is owned by A&E, History's owner. So if they can show the likes of Storage Wars on there, and if they are as popular as they seem to think they are, can't they stop pissing off documentary fans by favouring these programmes over proper documentaries on a channel called "History" and just create a bloody separate entertainment channel for them and then we'd all be happy!

I've complained myself here on DS about this and have dropped the documentary package as well, because we have to pay extra for this crap and not get to watch any proper documentaries

Well said.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Of course BBC4 is a hundred times better for interesting documentaries than all the minor documentary channels added together
  • alternatealternate Posts: 8,110
    Forum Member
    The reality shows get more viewers. Before them it was wall to wall nazi documentaries.. I watch a fair few of the reality shows and, staged as they are, find them a guilty pleasure. Pawn stars and the many storage wars, for example, will have a least one antique item per show so they maintain at least a plausible link to the channel name. H2 is where most if the docs have been shifted to.
  • ocavocav Posts: 2,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The main problem is that History is using up all the excess rights.

Most of the reality airs on A&E in America allowing History to have the historical focus - however there is nowhere for the A&E reality series to go over here so they air it on History.
  • omnidirectionalomnidirectional Posts: 18,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ocav wrote: »
    The main problem is that History is using up all the excess rights.

Most of the reality airs on A&E in America allowing History to have the historical focus - however there is nowhere for the A&E reality series to go over here so they air it on History.

That's not really the case; if you look at the History US website it's full of realty shows such as Swamp People, Ice Road Truckers, Pawn Stars, Bounty Hunters, and they also show Top Gear. They do have some more traditional history documentaries though.
  • KarlHydeKarlHyde Posts: 1,830
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    swingaleg wrote: »
    Of course BBC4 is a hundred times better for interesting documentaries than all the minor documentary channels added together
    Depends on what type of documentary you are looking for.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 102
    Forum Member
    I find the History Channel very enjoyable, yes it's title doesn't really accurately describe the programming but the reality shows they do have - Duck Dynasty, Pawn Stars, Shipping Wars, Storage Wars as well as American Restoration are some of the best of their type around.
  • dosanjh1dosanjh1 Posts: 8,727
    Forum Member

It does just a shame it doesn't start until 7pm
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I do like a bit of Pawn Stars...........but that's the only one of those type of shows that I'll watch

It's very enjoyable
  • CaxtonCaxton Posts: 28,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Duck Dynasty is just an insult to intelligence. What is it supposed to be, serious. a comedy, entertainment, adult, educational, news, shopping, religious or just pure crap TV that cannot be put into any category but the dustbin?
    History, however it certainly is not:(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    Depends on what type of documentary you are looking for.

I've enjoyed Rich Hall's series of documentaries about American films
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Verence wrote: »
    I've enjoyed Rich Hall's series of documentaries about American films
    I would agree that it's great for documenaties in general but other channels show different types that you would not find on BBC4.
  • SJM978SJM978 Posts: 96
    Forum Member

If that's the case why does every other programme on BBC4 seem to be about American Jazz?

I agree entirely with the thread starter about the History Channel though - it is a complete joke. Sadly this type of programming seems to be popular in the US especially, and since the owners of History Channel are there to make money they do what they feel works best.
    Forum Member
    KarlHyde wrote: »

Thanks for that, CGP Grey is a YouTube legend as much as History Channel (in its current form) is reality-driven pap.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    SJM978 wrote: »
    If that's the case why does every other programme on BBC4 seem to be about American Jazz?

slight exaggeration ?........:D

Sunday night was the story of Magellan's circumnavigation
    tonight it's Music, Mischief and Morals in the 18th century
    tomorrow there's one on the Georgian Home and one on the History of Gardens
    two on Wednesday - the story of Agriculture and the real Bonnie and Clyde
    two on Thursday - the history of Botany and the Science of Soil

Ok, Friday night is Music night........this week it's Jimmy Hendrix
    Saturday night is Scandanavian drama night (which I don't watch)

it's a jazz free week !
    Forum Member
    slight exaggeration ?........:D

Absolutely, I admit, but there does seem to be a lot of programmes about music on BBC4.

I suppose I am merely speaking as someone who, with the deterioration of the "History" Channel, is seeking an alternative source of history documentaries to watch.

The way things are Yesterday has more interesting programmes of the sort I enjoy than BBC4 does.
  • howard hhoward h Posts: 23,369
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Out of interested I looked at their TV schedules for tonight. Appalling. Why not simply rename the channel "Reality Because We've Nothing Better Or Aan Afford To Show You" TV?

SO glad I don't subscribe any more.
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    I remember the channel used to be really good and they had a lot of interesting historical documentaries, but I really can't figure out what is historical about pawn shop documentaries and shows like Storage Wars.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Saturday night is Scandanavian drama night (which I don't watch)

Sometimes it's Italian or French drama night :)