Options

Restaurant Wars: The Battle For Manchester

Comments

• Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    50 quid steak.......*falls on floor*
    The other day the managers special at wetherspoons was 14oz angus with chips and peas for £5.95 ;):D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's a strange industry. A lot of high end kitchens seem dominated by young men who are shouted at and swore at by a head chef who thinks he's great and you sometimes wonder why any young person would ever want to work in the industry. And then you get the exceptions such as Michel Roux who show it doesn't have to be like that at all.

Yeah they all seem highly strung....Michel Roux jr is a real gent....I bet he gets Monica to dish out the tough stuff :D
  • Options
    mountymounty Posts: 19,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Simon Rogan is an ass

YOU COOKED MY VEAL

WAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
  • Options
    BorefestBorefest Posts: 9,557
    Forum Member
    Four thousand pound of wasted food..................what a disgrace>:(

What a load of pompous twaddle
  • Options
    JamieHTJamieHT Posts: 12,207
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I love Manchester but I cannot see myself visiting these places. What awful people behind the scenes (not just the chefs). I also know where to get cheap (good) lobster in Manchester too!

Michel Roux Jr makes my skin crawl!
  • Options
    Kiko H FanKiko H Fan Posts: 6,546
    Forum Member
    First time watching this.

Maybe, just maybe, the reason that Manchester doesn't have any Michelin starred restaurants is that the diners of Manchester can see right through pretentious rubbish.

£26 for some meat and some potato pumped out of a can, masquerading as a "pie", then £50, yes fifty quid, for a steak.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Borefest wrote: »
    Four thousand pound of wasted food..................what a disgrace>:(

What a load of pompous twaddle

I agree.
    We were absolutely incensed by this waste.
  • Options
    StrakerStraker Posts: 79,661
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    £50 for a steak! Pricey even for London.

“This is the story of two chefs, Aidan Byrne and Simon Rogan, vying to take fine dining to Mancunians. It’s like watching two Frankensteins trying to resurrect the 1990s with nitrogen, 10-course surprise menus and an obsessive belief in Michelin stars.

“It is a masterclass in everything that is naff, nasty, effortful and regurgitative in catering. I just checked on Trip Advisor, and Rogan’s French is now 14th most-popular eating place in Manchester and Byrne’s 146th.”

BIB is spot on.

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/whats-on/food-drink-news/restaurant-critic-aa-gill-slams-7011589

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/whats-on/food-drink-news/aa-gill-slams-manchester-restaurants-7012831
    Kiko H Fan wrote: »
    We were absolutely incensed by this waste.

That was criminal.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    "Keep a look out for any lone diners, they might be restaurant critics".

Then they completely miss recognising lone diner Giles Coren.
    Even I'd recognise him; he's been on the telly quite a bit.
  • Options
    anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    "Keep a look out for any lone diners, they might be restaurant critics".

Then they completely miss recognising lone diner Giles Coren.
    Even I'd recognise him; he's been on the telly quite a bit.

She was a complete thicko. Especially as they were given a file with all the critics photos.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    She was a complete thicko. Especially as they were given a file with all the critics photos.

Including Zoe Williams, who is just a columnist, rather than a restaurant critic?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Including Zoe Williams, who is just a columnist, rather than a restaurant critic?

Not sure. I didn't see all the photos. They just flicked through pages of profiles and photos.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Not sure. I didn't see all the photos. They just flicked through pages of profiles and photos.

I definitely saw Zoe Williams and recognised her from the bad photo they had.
    I remember her in the Evening Standard, but she was a columnist, not a food critic.
    Their food critic at the time was Charles Campion, who was also on that list, as was Jay Rayner. Anyone who's watched Masterchef would see these two coming from 50 metres away.

Pardon the pun, but anyone worth their salt in the restaurant industry should be able to recognise a food critic in their restaurant?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I definitely saw Zoe Williams and recognised her from the bad photo they had.
    I remember her in the Evening Standard, but she was a columnist, not a food critic.
    Their food critic at the time was Charles Campion, who was also on that list, as was Jay Rayner. Anyone who's watched Masterchef would see these two coming from 50 metres away.

Pardon the pun, but anyone worth their salt in the restaurant industry should be able to recognise a food critic in their restaurant?

Definitely. Especially the most recognisable ones like Coren.
  • Options
    niceguy1966niceguy1966 Posts: 29,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Two episodes in, and Simon is looking even more unpleasant than last week. Sometimes not all publicity is good publicity.
  • Options
    Mr_X_123Mr_X_123 Posts: 1,837
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I ate at the French last year when I was in Manchester with work. It was without doubt the greatest meal I've ever eaten. All 10 courses were superb.

The ox in coal oil was possibly the best dish I've ever tasted.

I urge anyone who likes food to try it. Absolutely fantastic. Better than the fat duck in my opinion.

I don't like the look of Aiden Byrnes place. Seems like it is for footballers and their wags rather than a proper restaurant. Style over substance, but if I'm back in Manchester at some point I will try it for the sake of fairness.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I know it's just a chain pub but a 16oz bone in rib eye for £13.99 is pretty good value.
    http://www.flaminggrillpubs.com/events/steak-festival/?utm_source=celerity&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=campaign&utm_keyword=&utm_content=steak_festival

I'm not sure how much better a £50 steak could be
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    I know it's just a chain pub but a 16oz bone in rib eye for £13.99 is pretty good value.
    http://www.flaminggrillpubs.com/events/steak-festival/?utm_source=celerity&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=campaign&utm_keyword=&utm_content=steak_festival

I'm not sure how much better a £50 steak could be

A LOT better trust me!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    It would be hard to justify a wagu/kobe steak for £50 never mind a rib eye
  • Options
    ep1987ep1987 Posts: 759
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The menus can be viewed online. The ribeye is £35 (weight not specified).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Mr_X_123 wrote: »
    I ate at the French last year when I was in Manchester with work. It was without doubt the greatest meal I've ever eaten. All 10 courses were superb.

The ox in coal oil was possibly the best dish I've ever tasted.

I urge anyone who likes food to try it. Absolutely fantastic. Better than the fat duck in my opinion.

I don't like the look of Aiden Byrnes place. Seems like it is for footballers and their wags rather than a proper restaurant. Style over substance, but if I'm back in Manchester at some point I will try it for the sake of fairness.

I thought that, if he gets a few WAGs in, and they enjoy it, the place will take off.
    Or at the very least, will be patronised by WAGS and their husbands wallets.
    He needs to recoup those millions he spent on the restaurant, and the WAG wallet will certainly help.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    All that wasted food was a disgrace, all this fine dining shite is just absolute crap imo
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rhumble wrote: »
    All that wasted food was a disgrace, all this fine dining shite is just absolute crap imo

It is a matter of taste. I don't like art much, but I realise that is my personal taste.

Nothing wrong with great food cooked to the highest quality forming imaginative dishes.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Mr_X_123 wrote: »
    It is a matter of taste. I don't like art much, but I realise that is my personal taste.

Nothing wrong with great food cooked to the highest quality forming imaginative dishes.

But wasting £4000 of food is a disgrace.

I'm not suggesting that you distribute it to the tramps on the street, but surely something could've been done with it, rather than binning it.

We get peed off when we have to throw out some soft veg, or something we've forgotten about in the fridge.

Perversely, I can't wait for the next episode, which I assume will feature opening night and paying punters.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    But wasting £4000 of food is a disgrace.

I'm not suggesting that you distribute it to the tramps on the street, but surely something could've been done with it, rather than binning it.

We get peed off when we have to throw out some soft veg, or something we've forgotten about in the fridge.

Perversely, I can't wait for the next episode, which I assume will feature opening night and paying punters.
    Which is what I said. Surely there was plenty of staff on a night off or could be rotated and family, friends, business people who they could have fed.