The Bill - who were your favourite characters and storylines?

davey_waveydavey_wavey Posts: 27,406
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I miss The Bill and really wish it would come back at some point. I've been watching the repeats on Drama and also watching some old episodes online. What were your favourite characters and storylines?

I've been watching the year 2002/2003 recently... I loved this era of the show. Tom Chandler was a great villain and I loved Jack and Mickey teaming up to bring him down. Cathy Bradford was my other favourite character... I'm currently watching the middle of her storyline right now, she was so scary!! Also Luke has just come out as gay after marrying Kerry and has just left the show.

Comments

• thejoyof_patthejoyof_pat Posts: 30,735
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    one word...Gabriel. The ba*tard!! He shot Kerry :(:(

The crime related storyline were my favourite aka I don't remember any storylines but wasn't Corrie's Frank Foster in it?

PM a link to all the old episodes please :D
  • occyoccy Posts: 65,121
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Every character has a great storyline. It's a great shame ITV scrapped it.
  • davey_waveydavey_wavey Posts: 27,406
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    one word...Gabriel. The ba*tard!! He shot Kerry :(:(

The crime related storyline were my favourite aka I don't remember any storylines but wasn't Corrie's Frank Foster in it?

PM a link to all the old episodes please :D

Yup, he played Neil Manson. I think he joined the show in 2005? Though I can't quite remember and I forget what storylines he was involved in exactly.
  • SOAPYFANSOAPYFAN Posts: 2,095
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One of my favourite episodes is when Yorkie Smith has to deal with a traffic accident on his own, an episode from 1989.

Another was the 2000 episode with Ben and Roz's first shift and all the pranks!
  • Meesh_RedshawMeesh_Redshaw Posts: 2,871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Smithy without a doubt.....I got into it last year through watching the repeats on Drama too and then the more up to date ones on Watch.

I think it would have suited his character to be a bit..bent. Shame that didn't happen. :D
  • lewisktfclewisktfc Posts: 770
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Bill is my favourite show of all time, some of my favourite characters were Smithy, Jack Meadows, Neil Manson & Will Fletcher. My favourite storylines were the Gabriel Kent story, the Colin Fairfax explosion thing & the Zain drug dealer stuff. They need to bring back the Bill.
  • nightwish1990nightwish1990 Posts: 1,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My favourite characters were Jo Masters and Gary Best. A really good double act.

My favourite storyline was the bomb storyline that killed Emma Keane.
  • JamieHTJamieHT Posts: 12,206
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My favourite character was Polly Page.
  • ScrabblerScrabbler Posts: 51,266
    Forum Member
    JamieHT wrote: »
    My favourite character was Polly Page.

Polly, Dave Quinnan, Jim Carver, Tony Stamp, Reg Hollis, June Ackland, Bob Cryer, Matthew Boyden were all fantastic characters and I miss those days.
  • AndyAndy Posts: 1,618
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I fell out of love with The Bill before its demise, but I'm still sad it's gone.

I have a lot of characters that I really liked, which is probably why I stopped watching it - it became unrecognisable to me (similar to EastEnders now).

This is a large list, so forgive me! My favourite characters were Jo Masters, DCI Meadows, Sam Nixon, Gina, Smithy, Nikki, Ramani, Debbie, June, Jim, Adam, Rowanne Morell, Sheelagh, Phil, Polly, Yvonne, Grace, Cathy, Eva, Robbie Cryer, Tony, Reg, Mickey... this list is getting too long so I'll end it there - there are so many more though!

My favourite storylines... I really liked the Cathy Bradford saga - it was gripping and she was such a nutter. The serial killer story that ultimately lead to the death of Cass was another. The story that introduced Sally and killed newcomer Billy Rowan in the same episode was really well done too.

I miss the show and don't think there's anything like it right now. There's still room for an ongoing police drama I think, it just lost its way for a while.
  • mo mousemo mouse Posts: 38,764
    Forum Member
    Quite liked Polly and Don Beech.
  • Sez_babeSez_babe Posts: 133,998
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    DC Micky Webb - amazing character. I also loved Smithy, Gary, Terry, Ben, Will, Gina, Debbie, Luke, Jack and Phil. My favourite storyline was Micky's rape - the acting was incredible and it was a long-running storyline too. Also liked Gary's undercover storyline where he was drugged.
  • Cuddly_CatCuddly_Cat Posts: 2,900
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I liked June. If they brought The Bill back as new it would be unrecognisable. I enjoyed it at the time.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I fell out of love with The Bill before its demise, but I'm still sad it's gone.

I have a lot of characters that I really liked, which is probably why I stopped watching it - it became unrecognisable to me (similar to EastEnders now).

This is a large list, so forgive me! My favourite characters were Jo Masters, DCI Meadows, Sam Nixon, Gina, Smithy, Nikki, Ramani, Debbie, June, Jim, Adam, Rowanne Morell, Sheelagh, Phil, Polly, Yvonne, Grace, Cathy, Eva, Robbie Cryer, Tony, Reg, Mickey... this list is getting too long so I'll end it there - there are so many more though!

My favourite storylines... I really liked the Cathy Bradford saga - it was gripping and she was such a nutter. The serial killer story that ultimately lead to the death of Cass was another. The story that introduced Sally and killed newcomer Billy Rowan in the same episode was really well done too.

I miss the show and don't think there's anything like it right now. There's still room for an ongoing police drama I think, it just lost its way for a while.

June & Jim...how could I forget them? I loved them two.
  • Markyboy79Markyboy79 Posts: 136
    Forum Member
    Meadows, Conway, Monroe, Cryer, Brownlow. All very genuine and real characters.
  • BarbraBarbra Posts: 15,581
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Another vote here for the Cathy Bradford storyline.

Favourite character - Rod Skase (just for looking at).
  • cobwebsoupcobwebsoup Posts: 4,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Des and Reg, Gabriel Kent, Gary Best....

The 2002 - 2005 era of the show was unmissable drama. There was always something going on, great cast, great villains. The shocking axings of Tony Stamp, Reg Hollis and Jim Carver, and the 2009 revamp, totally killed the show.
  • scarlet8715scarlet8715 Posts: 977
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Loved The Bill, sad it's gone too. I record the episodes on Drama, while I'm at work and watch them at the weekend.

Some great stroylines over the years. I really enjoyed Des Taviner's relationship with Reg and his demise as a result of the fire he started at Sun Hill. Neil Manson's affair with PC Andrea Dunbar, who was really an undercover journalist and Zain Nadir going native.

Too many favourite characters to name them all but I have to mention Don Beech, Mickey Webb, Jim Carver, Des Taviner, Liz Rawlins and Smithy!
  • VerenceVerence Posts: 104,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Reg Hollis and his unusual friendship with Des Taviner
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The two officers at the end of the early credits were also my favourites :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Like Andy said, I fell out of love with the show before its demise, but I did love it in its high time, especially around 2004/2005.
    The new credits, characters timeslot and style of the show ruined it a lot for me.

Favourite characters: Jim, June, Kerry, Honey, Gina, Reg, Marilyn, Sheelagh, Andrea, Luke, Mickey, Eva, Samantha, Debbie, Ramani, Jack
  • B*witchedB*witched Posts: 5,647
    Forum Member
    Jim, Debbie, Eva, Honey, Brownlow, Des & Reg were great, lots more, too many to type out. Loved Gabriel Kent the minute he threw himself off that building to his death. Pity he didn't take the old bike Ackland with him.
  • SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

Ten off the top of my head in no particular order

Brownlow
    Don Beech
    Jack Meadows
    Reg Hollis
    Des Taviner
    Burnside
    Tony Stamp
    Jo Masters
    Kerry Holmes
    Debbie Keane.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh yes, Terry as well. I can't remember if I liked Nikki and Rob.

I was never a fan of Smithy.
    Or Gabriel. Interesting character, yes, but little s*** who I can't forgive for his actions :mad:

I'm trying to remember now, didn't Debbie and Juliet have a storyline where they made a cover-up claiming some criminal fell to his death? I remember two women weren't sure what they were going to say happened and then one informed the other of what she reported prior to the second's questioning.
    Was this a different storyline?
  • dee123dee123 Posts: 46,265
    Forum Member
    I always liked Gina.