Options

Tommy Cooper - Not Like That Like This

Comments

• Options
    jerseyporterjerseyporter Posts: 2,332
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Moleskin wrote: »
    You don't have to find him funny to watch a biopic about him though.

I never watched Tommy Cooper - I was only 17 when he died, and my parents had never watched him on TV, so I only knew of him what I saw impressionists do. That said, I don't think I'd have enjoyed his comedy, but that doesn't mean I don't want to watch this because I find biographies (and, by extension, biopics) fascinating. You don't have to like someone to find their life interesting/fascinating, and often the life behind the headlines is very different to the public face anyway.

I also wasn't watching TV the night he died live on air, and until now have always avoided watching it on youtube because he died the way my grandmother did, literally dropping dead, and I was always told it was painless, but didn't want to think about the possibility that people were just saying that to be kind. But, last night, I finally bit the bullet and watched the clip on youtube, and it's such a strange thing to watch. However, in some ways, it was kind of cathartic - distressing though it is in some ways, it's clear Cooper is unconscious, and not in pain, before he hits the floor and isn't aware of his body's last attempts to circulate oxygen to his brain after his heart stops. And so it must have been for my gran, and it was a sort of comfort to know that this is what it was like for her, and that she didn't suffer. I won't ever watch the Cooper clip again, I don't know how people could watch it more than once, but (and I know I must sound really odd in everything I'm saying in this paragraph) I'm pleased I did.

Sorry, that's a bit OT in terms of this biopic. I won't be rushing to see archive footage of Cooper's act - I still don't find it funny - but I don't regret tuning in to this so far as clearly there was a lot behind the public face that drove him.
  • Options
    solenoidsolenoid Posts: 15,495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    China Girl wrote: »
    I've just switched off, can't listen to that accent for 2 hours.

Just like that?
  • Options
    cavallicavalli Posts: 18,738
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    solenoid wrote: »
    Just like that?

:D:D:D
  • Options
    Ollie_h19Ollie_h19 Posts: 8,548
    Forum Member
    solenoid wrote: »
    Just like that?

No, like this ;-)
  • Options
    AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    David Threlfall is excellent.
    But for whatever reason this programme isn't doing it for me.
    It's okay I suppose, probably thanks to a large part on David Threlfall's great performance.

All these biopics of British TV legends feel a bit samey to me. It's as though they've adopted a standard formula of doing them. So they all end up feeling the same. The same way of stitching scenes together, the same rhythm, the same feel. Even though they're supposed to be about different and very distinctive people.

The only one which really stood out for me and felt different was the recent Doctor Who one, An Adventure in Space and Time, which was about William Hartnell and Verity Lambert. That was excellent, and one which I'll remember for a very long time.

But David Threlfall, incredible performance. Can see him being nominated for a BAFTA for this.
  • Options
    sparkie70sparkie70 Posts: 3,053
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    EVILSPEAK wrote: »
    David Threlfall is actually pretty damn good as Tommy, and his voice is spot on too. That is how Tommy spoke and was himself very difficult to understand quite often. And add me to the list of those who just didn't find him even remotely funny.

David Threlfall has done a good job & all I can say to those who need 'subtitles' is to get their ears syringe. If anything I found the actor playing Eric Sykes nothing like him.
  • Options
    grauniadgrauniad Posts: 7,957
    Forum Member
    This is a stunningly accurate take of the man. I would imagine that David Threlfal will get an award for this.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 517
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What is it with the year 1984 and comedy geniuses having fatal heart attacks?
    -Tommy Cooper
    -Eric Morecambe
    -Leonard Rossiter

...add to that the death of Andy Kaufman as well - at the age of 35 - and I can't help but feel that a major chapter of comedy history ended that year.

....and what adds insult to injury is that Police Academy (1984) was released that year and we all know how that series panned out :-(

...and what was the year George Orwell famously cast so much negativity upon....? :o
  • Options
    EspressoEspresso Posts: 18,047
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think David Threlfall is excellent in this.
  • Options
    allie4allie4 Posts: 11,994
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I never watched Tommy Cooper - I was only 17 when he died, and my parents had never watched him on TV, so I only knew of him what I saw impressionists do. That said, I don't think I'd have enjoyed his comedy, but that doesn't mean I don't want to watch this because I find biographies (and, by extension, biopics) fascinating. You don't have to like someone to find their life interesting/fascinating, and often the life behind the headlines is very different to the public face anyway.

I also wasn't watching TV the night he died live on air, and until now have always avoided watching it on youtube because he died the way my grandmother did, literally dropping dead, and I was always told it was painless, but didn't want to think about the possibility that people were just saying that to be kind. But, last night, I finally bit the bullet and watched the clip on youtube, and it's such a strange thing to watch. However, in some ways, it was kind of cathartic - distressing though it is in some ways, it's clear Cooper is unconscious, and not in pain, before he hits the floor and isn't aware of his body's last attempts to circulate oxygen to his brain after his heart stops. And so it must have been for my gran, and it was a sort of comfort to know that this is what it was like for her, and that she didn't suffer. I won't ever watch the Cooper clip again, I don't know how people could watch it more than once, but (and I know I must sound really odd in everything I'm saying in this paragraph) I'm pleased I did.

Sorry, that's a bit OT in terms of this biopic. I won't be rushing to see archive footage of Cooper's act - I still don't find it funny - but I don't regret tuning in to this so far as clearly there was a lot behind the public face that drove him.

I made the mistake of watching the Youtube clip of his death and found it deeply distressing. I assumed he literally dropped dead but it seemed slow and very nasty - I was shocked he didn't die immediately. It's good that it gave you some comfort though which I can understand.
  • Options
    XIVXIV Posts: 21,582
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    David Threlfall will likely get nominations for this, its difficult to portray someone who was well known and loved but he's pulled it off.
  • Options
    riverside 57riverside 57 Posts: 14,380
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm really enjoying this. I always loved Tommy Cooper as it was always on at home when my parents watched it. I wonder how true to life it is, it doesn't paint a pretty picture of him at all, or his wife for that matter! brawling in the street :o
  • Options
    mal2poolmal2pool Posts: 5,690
    Forum Member
    Looks like he was drunk most the time and on stage looked like he was drunk but maybe wasnt. Great performance by David. Not much of a story really. Had an affair and thats it!
  • Options
    Pink KnightPink Knight Posts: 24,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not having any trouble understanding him, then again I am sat about 3 feet from my TV.
    I did find Tommy Cooper funny, but sometimes he fell flat.

Decent enough drama, I think the reason why its a bit annoying to watch is because he was by the looks of it a drunken pain in the arse.
  • Options
    waz101waz101 Posts: 1,253
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I gave up - Just can't understand him. He might as well be speaking Swahili
  • Options
    Ollie_h19Ollie_h19 Posts: 8,548
    Forum Member
    It's a bit horrible knowing whats about to happen now...
  • Options
    mal2poolmal2pool Posts: 5,690
    Forum Member
    Tommy was 100% funny ...he had funny bones. Some or most of todays comics leave me cold. The whole family could watch him and absolutely fall about with belly laughs. Who does that nowadays?
    This drama however is getting a bit dull. No story really
  • Options
    Pink KnightPink Knight Posts: 24,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well its been a better watch than Jamaica Inn, going off the thread for that.
    This last bits like watching the end of Titanic>:( most of us knows the ending.
  • Options
    IJoinedInMayIJoinedInMay Posts: 26,323
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mal2pool wrote: »
    Tommy was 100% funny ...he had funny bones. Some or most of todays comics leave me cold. The whole family could watch him and absolutely fall about with belly laughs. Who does that nowadays?

Ant & Dec probably fit into that family friendly category.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 517
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mal2pool wrote: »
    Yeah..and it's not patch on http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1202176/ - but then again this isn't a BBC production.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=USPu91jUNkU
  • Options
    PiggywigPiggywig Posts: 996
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    David Threlfall is doing a fantastic job as Tommy Cooper here I have to say. He's a brilliant actor. I only switched over about fifteen minutes ago, I didn't intend watching it at all. I may switch off again soon as I'm feeling sick at the thought of them re-creating the death on stage - I remember watching it when it happened, I would have been about 12 I think - wondering what on earth was going on and hearing the audience laughing thinking it was part of the routine <shudders>.
  • Options
    ArtyAttackArtyAttack Posts: 67,513
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    David Threlfall is absolutely superb in this. Deserving of awards.
  • Options
    EurostarEurostar Posts: 78,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    allie4 wrote: »
    I made the mistake of watching the Youtube clip of his death and found it deeply distressing. I assumed he literally dropped dead but it seemed slow and very nasty - I was shocked he didn't die immediately. It's good that it gave you some comfort though which I can understand.

I've seen the clip myself and it's obvious he went from conscious to unconscious in a split second, and by my reckoning can't have suffered at all.
  • Options
    EurostarEurostar Posts: 78,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Piggywig wrote: »
    David Threlfall is doing a fantastic job as Tommy Cooper here I have to say. He's a brilliant actor. I only switched over about fifteen minutes ago, I didn't intend watching it at all. I may switch off again soon as I'm feeling sick at the thought of them re-creating the death on stage - I remember watching it when it happened, I would have been about 12 I think - wondering what on earth was going on and hearing the audience laughing thinking it was part of the routine <shudders>.

No surprise the audience laughed : you just don't expect someone to drop dead on stage in front of you.
  • Options
    PiggywigPiggywig Posts: 996
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Eurostar wrote: »
    No surprise the audience laughed : you just don't expect someone to drop dead on stage in front of you.

I think it was just that his routines tended to be so random that everyone thought it was just part of the act. It didn't look like someone dropping dead on stage - or well not to twelve year old me anyway. Nor my parents I seem to remember.