Options

Miliband - UK a Christian country

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 33,260
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Britain, he said in an interview, is a ‘Christian country’ despite declining observance, and he strongly believes religion ‘nourishes people’.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2602948/I-dont-think-God-exists-faith-I-says-Jewish-atheist-Ed-Miliband.html

Comments

• Options
    PrestonAlPrestonAl Posts: 10,342
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    An Atheist Jew, praising the CofE. You couldn't make it up. I didn't even think Jewish was a race. Perhaps I'll start calling myself a british Viking due to my Viking roots hundreds of years ago.
  • Options
    Sniffle774Sniffle774 Posts: 20,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh good grief, I think I preferred it when politicians "didn't do God "
  • Options
    PrestonAlPrestonAl Posts: 10,342
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sniffle774 wrote: »

I can safely say it puts me off any politician.

I'm just waiting for Farage to come out and say he's a Catholic CofE next. He's already distasteful enough to vote for. He might as well add religion into his mix.
  • Options
    Judge MentalJudge Mental Posts: 18,593
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Didn't agree with it when the man in the blue tie said it. Don't agree with it when the man in the red tie said it. Moral cowards both.
  • Options
    Sniffle774Sniffle774 Posts: 20,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Didn't agree with it when the man in the blue tie said it. Don't agree with it when the man in the red tie said it. Moral cowards both.

True dat
  • Options
    SnowStorm86SnowStorm86 Posts: 17,273
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Especially when you consider G.W.Bush's fondness of referring to God. You'd think politicians would be doing their best to distance themselves.
  • Options
    rusty123rusty123 Posts: 22,872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

When was that then? What era? And what was it about that time that makes you long for it?
  • Options
    alan29alan29 Posts: 34,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know plenty of christians who face-palm at the idea of politicians calling this a christian country.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have no greater interest in their religious beliefs than I do in their sex lives. Both should be a personal matter which people with good manners don't discuss.

Why they don't just say that they support the rights of all believers to privately follow their own beliefs but also the need to ensure that no religion has any part in public policy I don't know. How could any fair minded person object to that?
  • Options
    davordavor Posts: 6,874
    Forum Member
    Yes, UK is a Christian country. The Queen is Christian and she is head of state.
  • Options
    AnnsyreAnnsyre Posts: 109,504
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    davor wrote: »
    Yes, UK is a Christian country. The Queen is Christian and she is head of state.

I always found that a bit strange. The Queen doesn't come across as a particularly religious person, unlike say the Pope. The fact she is head of the Church of England seems laughable.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    davor wrote: »

And yet in Tudor England the kings and queens flip flopped between Catholicism and Protestantism for their own purposes. So perhaps we need a more reasoned approach. Disestablish the so called state religion and allow individuals to decide the matter for themselves.

We can remember the Christian period of our history without pickling the country in aspic and never allowing it to change. We were a pagan country once.

Perhaps the time has come for us to be a secular nation like many other modern democracies. I will vote for a party which puts that in their manifesto.
  • Options
    onecitizenonecitizen Posts: 5,042
    Forum Member
    Politicians like anyone else should be perfectly entitled to express their religious beliefs. I don't have a problem with it. There does seem to be an almost fascistic aethiest tendency amongst the chattering classes to shout down anyone who professes a Christian faith. Note that these people attack Christians but not other religious groups, they are far too clever/cowardly to do that.;-)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Annsyre wrote: »
    I agree with Miliband.

Our institutions are underpinned by Christianity.

What does that underpinning actually amount to other than history?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    What does that underpinning actually amount to other than history?

Most of our laws, our Parliament, our armed forces.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    onecitizen wrote: »
    Politicians like anyone else should be perfectly entitled to express their religious beliefs. I don't have a problem with it. There does seem to be an almost fascistic aethiest tendency amongst the chattering classes to shout down anyone who professes a Christian faith. Note that these people attack Christians but not other religious groups, they are far too clever/cowardly to do that.;-)
    That's not true. This is not anti Christian. It's pro individual choice and anti discrimination. Why should one religion have supremacy?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Most of our laws.
    So what? Other countries without a state religion seem to manage perfectly well to run a legal system.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Most of our laws, our Parliament, our armed forces.

Secular nations manage to run all three. So what does this underpinning actually contribute?
  • Options
    RecordPlayerRecordPlayer Posts: 22,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I always found that a bit strange. The Queen doesn't come across as a particularly religious person, unlike say the Pope. The fact she is head of the Church of England seems laughable.

You can blame Henry VIII for that.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    So what? Other countries without a state religion seem to manage perfectly well to run a legal system.

I prefer our system.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I prefer our system.

For what reason. What does the Christian underpinning do?
  • Options
    alan29alan29 Posts: 34,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Had a quick scan of the gospels looking for the bits where Jesus tells his followers to scapegoat the sick, the poor and immigrants.
    I haven't found them yet. Perhaps someone could point me to the right chapter and verse.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    alan29 wrote: »
    Had a quick scan of the gospels looking for the bits where Jesus tells his followers to scapegoat the sick, the poor and immigrants.
    I haven't found them yet. Perhaps someone could point me to the right chapter and verse.

Look for the passages where Jesus talks about Big Society.
  • Options
    rusty123rusty123 Posts: 22,872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    onecitizen wrote: »

I've noticed a lot of Christian groups use the "why you picking on me and not him" line to try and deflect the argument away from their particular faith. They claim the moral high ground (they being all religious groups) not only over us non believers but each other all the time so it would be a bit rich complaining about being "shouted down" as you put it - they've been looking down their respective noses on non club member for centuries.

What intrigues me more is the BS the chattering classes come out with when a politician says something personal