Step by step instructions: Keeping your mobile number and moving to another network

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 415
Forum Member
I've seen many, many threads asking how to transfer your mobile telephone number to a new provider. In this thread I will write some easy to understand instructions to help you move your number successfully.

STEP 1
The first thing to do is get hold of a SIM card from your new network, or buy a new phone on your new network. If you buy a new SIM for your existing phone, you'll need to make sure the phone is unlocked and can accept the new network's SIM. More information on unlocking.

STEP 2
Next, you need to call your current network and ask them for a PAC Code (Port Authorisation Code). Some networks issue these codes right away over the phone, some send them to you in the post. It shouldn't take too long though.

STEP 3
Once you have received your PAC Code from your current network, you will need to call your new network and give them this PAC code. The new network will give you a date for when the number transfer will take place - it's usually 5 to 7 working days from the day you call them.

STEP 4
Your new mobile / SIM came with a new number. Once your current mobile number is transferred to the new SIM / phone, the number that came with the new SIM will no longer be active. Also, once your number has been transferred over, the old SIM card will no longer work. You should now have your old mobile number on your new network.

IMPORTANT INFORMATION / FAQs
Some points that you need to know:

POINT 1
A PAC Code is valid for 30 days from when it was issued to you by your old network. If you do not use the code within this time it will simply expire and you will need to request a new one if you wish to transfer your number in future.

POINT 2
It is important that you backup any information on your old SIM card. Once the mobile number is "lifted" from the old SIM, you may not be able to get access to your phone book / contacts list, and you will lose any text messages stored on the SIM. Make sure that you copy all your contacts over to your phone's memory or write them down.

POINT 3
You CANNOT transfer any credit to a different network. For example if you are with T-Mobile and want to move your number to the O2 network, you will not be able to take your Pay As You Go calltime credit with you.

POINT 4
The above porting instructions are the same for both Pay As You Go and Pay Monthly phones / SIM Cards. At the time of writing this, all networks allow you to port your number as many times as you like, whenever you like (although with some networks you may have to have been connected for 14 days before they will let you take your number elsewhere).

Comments

• you wot!you wot! Posts: 44
    Forum Member
    I understand that the phone has to be switched off for a while while porting takes place. During this time are all calls and texts 'lost' or will they be available on the new sim?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 213
    Forum Member
    you wot! wrote: »
    I understand that the phone has to be switched off for a while while porting takes place. During this time are all calls and texts 'lost' or will they be available on the new sim?

You do not have to switch the phone off during the porting time, but you do need to switch it off once the porting is complete to refresh the connection to the network.

Calls to the number during porting are lost, text messages may arrive on the new SIM but could also be lost too. Calls will usually get "the number is not recognised".
  • squawkBOXsquawkBOX Posts: 930
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would like to add a few extra notes:

Validity
    The 30 day validity term means that you can give the PAC to another network right up until the day it expires. I've seen too many silly contact centre workers refuse to put the PAC through as its say for example its day 28 of 30, and they think that it will expire on the 30th, so it won't work. This is wrong. Think of the 30 days as simply the time you have to give the new network your PAC.

On the day of the PAC.
    On the day of the PAC, there may be some disruptions to your service. So when you are calling the number that is being ported over, you might get errors such as "The number you have dialled is not recognised, please check and try again." This is normal. You may also experience 'split service' where some networks can call you but others can't.

The networks run their porting processes till about 1700/1800 - so on the day of the port everything should be working fine at this time. If at this point, if you are still getting error messages or split service - then give your new network a call and they can sort it out for you.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 42
    Forum Member

POINT 2
    It is important that you backup any information on your old SIM card. Once the mobile number is "lifted" from the old SIM, you may not be able to get access to your phone book / contacts list, and you will lose any text messages stored on the SIM. Make sure that you copy all your contacts over to your phone's memory or write them down.

Not in my experience. I've got a few old SIMs from various networks (Voda, O2, one2one) that are either disconnected or had the number ported, and all the old SMS & phonebook data is still present & correct. Phones will still boot with the SIMs in, but obviously won't have network reception (it'll report 'Inactive SIM' or something along those lines; at least, all the SonyEricsson phones I've had do!).
    Forum Member
    Not in my experience. I've got a few old SIMs from various networks (Voda, O2, one2one) that are either disconnected or had the number ported, and all the old SMS & phonebook data is still present & correct. Phones will still boot with the SIMs in, but obviously won't have network reception (it'll report 'Inactive SIM' or something along those lines; at least, all the SonyEricsson phones I've had do!).

I think that's why the OP said "may"
    Forum Member
    BreatheMe wrote: »
    I think that's why the OP said "may"

Only in relation to phonebook data;)
    Forum Member
    Only in relation to phonebook data;)

I read it as:

If you cannot access the phonebook, you will also have lost the text messages as well.

Anyway, I'm not picking something apart that someone spent ages typing up to help people.
    Forum Member
    BreatheMe wrote: »
    I read it as:

If you cannot access the phonebook, you will also have lost the text messages as well.

Anyway, I'm not picking something apart that someone spent ages typing up to help people.

I read it how it was written, and as such I'm merely pointing out that SMS data is not lost from the SIM simply by it not having a number associated with, it in my experiences. I was only trying to add further useful information to the topic, that's all.
  • MikayMikay Posts: 10,503
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just requested by PAC from Vodafone.
    They would give anything to remain on their network. :rolleyes:
    Got it straight away mind once I turned their offer down, politely.
  • Mike_1101Mike_1101 Posts: 8,012
    Forum Member
    Mikay wrote: »
    Just requested by PAC from Vodafone.
    They would give anything to remain on their network. :rolleyes:
    Got it straight away mind once I turned their offer down, politely.

I am thinking of moving from Vodaphone (poor local coverage with no prospect of improvement) to O2-Cellnet (mast near my house). Are there any costs involved in doing this number transfer as I assume the calls would be routed through Vodaphone, or would they be?
    Or would a new 02 number be better? It's not a problem in my case as I don't phone that many people. I don't know how the calls are routed.

Thanks
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 55
    Forum Member
    Mike_1101 wrote: »
    I am thinking of moving from Vodaphone (poor local coverage with no prospect of improvement) to O2-Cellnet (mast near my house). Are there any costs involved in doing this number transfer as I assume the calls would be routed through Vodaphone, or would they be?
    Or would a new 02 number be better? It's not a problem in my case as I don't phone that many people. I don't know how the calls are routed.

Thanks
    Hi,

Once you get your PAC and port from one network to the other, your number stays the same but the network you port over to would then have the number on their network instead. Effectively you cut all ties with the old network and start to use and be billed by the new network. There's no diversions or anything like that, it's a permanent thing. You move off one network and join a new network with the same number.

Hope this helps!
    Forum Member
    Hi,

Once you get your PAC and port from one network to the other, your number stays the same but the network you port over to would then have the number on their network instead. Effectively you cut all ties with the old network and start to use and be billed by the new network. There's no diversions or anything like that, it's a permanent thing. You move off one network and join a new network with the same number.

Hope this helps!

Thanks, if it really is that simple and there are no hidden costs it's certainly worth thinking about. Do the networks have any nasty or subtle tricks to try and stop people doing this, if so what should I beware of?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 167
    Forum Member
    Mike_1101 wrote: »
    Thanks, if it really is that simple and there are no hidden costs it's certainly worth thinking about. Do the networks have any nasty or subtle tricks to try and stop people doing this, if so what should I beware of?

Your current network will probably offer you a range, or ranges, of new series in hope of keeping you with them.

When I was with Vodafone and requested to take my number elsewhere, they offered me 500 text messages a month for free, as well as unlimited evening internet and half price calls to a favourite number. I must admit I took them up on the offer and stayed with them for a further two months, but switched to O2 after that time.
    Forum Member
    Da/\/\aged wrote: »
    Your current network will probably offer you a range, or ranges, of new series in hope of keeping you with them.

When I was with Vodafone and requested to take my number elsewhere, they offered me 500 text messages a month for free, as well as unlimited evening internet and half price calls to a favourite number. I must admit I took them up on the offer and stayed with them for a further two months, but switched to O2 after that time.

They've already done that and I'm on a heavily discounted deal. They have been promising to improve the signals for two years now and nothing has happened. I'm in a very built up area but when I spoke to them they seemed to think this area is rural! The contract expires in 3 months and then I'm off. The phone is useless in many parts of the house, it won't ring unless it's on a shelf above a particular door - honest!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 55
    Forum Member
    Hi,

I understand now why you'd want to port your number in favour of a better signal with another network and that you're waiting until the end of your current contract to do that.

Just to add for anybody else viewing this thread. If you do decide to port your number away from a network, make sure your contract commitment has ended. If you port before you've fulfilled the contract, you'll be charged a cancellation fee. The cancellation fee is the amount of line rental left on your contract between the day the number ports/cancels and the end of your contract commitment.

Hope this helps!

Hopefullyuseful
    Vodafone UK
  • paulj48paulj48 Posts: 1,122
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have an Orange sim thats out of contract 1-3-08 and I want to cancel and port the number to my new O2 Iphone that I allready have.

I want to use the Orange contract as near upto the cancellation date as possible, when do I ask Orange for a PAC?
  • ErlangErlang Posts: 6,619
    Forum Member
    I have been told by Vodafone and others that I can not PAC my Voda contract (long expired) number to ANY form of PAYG SIM.

Anyone else done this ?

sick to death of UK mobile rip off. I've lived overseas and had much cheaper service.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36
    Forum Member
    Hi Erlang,

Porting your Vodafone number does depend on a number of factors, but it's possible to port a Vodafone contract number to any Pay As You Talk (PAYT) network, including Vodafone.

Your line needs to be active with us for us to be able to port the number. If it's been cancelled for any reason we wouldn't be able to port the number, unless you could get it activated again first.

If your line is active and still within a contract commitment, it would be necessary for you to pay the line rental until the end of the contract in order to port away. This is often referred to as a "disconnection penalty" and is paid up front.

If you wish to move the number to Vodafone PAYT, we can migrate this over for you without the need for a PAC, so you wouldn't need to request one. If you're moving to another network, you would require a PAC.

I hope this helps,

edwardpeter
    Vodafone UK
  • madmanmadman Posts: 227
    Forum Member
    Is it possible to "port" a number from one connection to another on the same network?

Reason I'm asking is I'm due an upgrade on Vodafone, but the offer I want would cost me £155 for the phone upgrade, even though new customers (or new connections to be more precise) would get the phone for free.

So I was wondering if I could get the PAC code from Vodafone cancelling that connection, and then buy the offer I want through their website as a new connection entering the PAC code they have given me.

Can this work, or do I have to port the number to a different network and then back again?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36
    Forum Member
    Hi madman, unfortunately it's not possible to move a number from one Vodafone contract straight to another.

edwardpeter

Vodafone UK
  • tony13579tony13579 Posts: 1,145
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you are porting a pay and go and have unused credit to waste....
    try donating it to a good cause...

such as the yorkshire air ambulance...
    · Text YAAC to 84010 and you will donate £1.50
    · Text HELI to 84010 and you will donate £3.00
  • TheBigMTheBigM Posts: 13,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you do with O2 via carphone warehouse, you will need your PAC code BEFORE purchasing your O2 contract/sim. You will need to provide this to carphone warehouse/e2save/the rest of the affiliates DURING your O2 purchase.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 277
    Forum Member
    From the 18th of March all ports from other networks will now take 2 working days, and no longer 5.

*Info correct if you are porting into O2 at least.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 777
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    _amanda_ wrote: »
    From the 18th of March all ports from other networks will now take 2 working days, and no longer 5.

*Info correct if you are porting into O2 at least.

That's better. 5 working days to be without your current number and having to use a temporary number is really inconvenient!
  • coopermanyorkscoopermanyorks Posts: 21,215
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is it possible to move an 02 contract phone number ( that was originally ported in from Virgin ) from a contract tariff to an 02 PAYG sim without problems

As the contract is ending soon and its a great number I don't want to lose as the phone I want is not yet launched

Will it be easy then to port the PAYG number back onto a contract when the phone is available ( not sure yet who the contract will be )