Options

V : The complete series.

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 98
Forum Member
Anyone remember the classic sci-fi series V ?

It was a classic. I remember sitting up late at night to watch it when it was originally shown on TV. I think it was in the early eighties. Two mini-series followed by a 19-part series.

:( Sadly only the two mini-series have been released on DVD in the UK, yet the complete series is available on region 1 abroad.

Wouldn`t it be good if Warner Bros released it over here. I have sent an email to WB UK asking if they have any plans to. I will let you know their response.

Comments

• Options
    Inky BinkyInky Binky Posts: 2,261
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I remember watching the "V" mini-series when it first aired on TV way back in the 1980s. It was a huge event at the time. If I remember correctly, the ads in the paper, TV guides and billboards had a big picture of the "V" sign and the line: They are coming. Anyway, I loved it as a kid. I never liked the TV show though. The whole "starchilid" thing was too wacky... even for a 10 year-old kid like myself (at the time). :)

An updated "V" mini-series was in the works with some of the original cast (it was either going to be a sequel or a remake) but it got shelved for now.

It's strange that the TV series hasn't been released in the U.K.. I don't know why that is. It's possible that the DVDs didn't sell well in the states and they probably thought it wouldn't sell well elsewhere either.
  • Options
    Muttley76Muttley76 Posts: 97,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They showed the series on sci-fi not long ago...:)
  • Options
    MandarkMandark Posts: 47,964
    Forum Member
    They're still showing it. It was on last week.
  • Options
    nadiasantosnadiasantos Posts: 1,110
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    busman12 wrote:
    Anyone remember the classic sci-fi series V ?

It was a classic. I remember sitting up late at night to watch it when it was originally shown on TV. I think it was in the early eighties. Two mini-series followed by a 19-part series.

:( Sadly only the two mini-series have been released on DVD in the UK, yet the complete series is available on region 1 abroad.

Wouldn`t it be good if Warner Bros released it over here. I have sent an email to WB UK asking if they have any plans to. I will let you know their response.
    No need to wait for Warner to release their traditional overpriced ripoff of a good R1 release.

You will find that the US 19 part series release of V is dual coded.
    Its not shown on the box but I can confirm it is coded for R1 and R2 ,so you can buy it without worry for around £20.

I suspect any R2 version would be £30+
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I enjoyed V, when i was a kid and couldnt sleep i remember going downstairs and watching a bit of it with my parents and it scared me silly, ive watched it since then and do really think it was a very well created mini-series.

I would like them to remake V with a modern feel, but i think it would never be as good as the original as the creators would no doubt want to put their own spin on it and ruin what made it so good in the first place.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    It would be great if they decided to make a follow-up series on the original.

The `Visitors` could return for another harvest.

Would the original cast return ? I think the original cast would most probably be too old now so i think new characters should be introduced. The original cast could always pop up now & again.

I can imagine a scene in the mother ship. The visitors are planning an attack on the resistance HQ, when a mysterious figure comes storming through the door to take charge - it`s Diana .

Most often when a remake is done, its never the same as the original. Its usually cr#p. Just look at some of the recent films which were once classic tv series.

If V was to return, it has to be done properly, not made into a comedy. :mad:
  • Options
    currykevcurrykev Posts: 1,577
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AOL online has all the episodes for free to download.But you must use Intenet Explorer,so count me out.
  • Options
    Keefy-boyKeefy-boy Posts: 13,613
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What planet have you guys all been living on?

V:The Second Generation is to be made soon.

Many of the original cast are involved (Marc Singer, Faye Grant, Jane Badler).

And no this is not an April Fool!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Keefy-boy wrote:

Its an April fool isnt it !! You serious mate ?
  • Options
    manics2003manics2003 Posts: 710
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Keefy-boy wrote:

Yeah check this out its been on idmb for a while.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0366112/
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Omg !!!!! It`s True. :)

So we`ve got the new series, all we want now is the original series on DVD here.

Thing is , will we ever get to see this new series over here in the UK ?

:confused: I have been doing abit of research and noticed on many sites that this `second generation` tv movie has been talked about for years.

I found this on one site, It was dated June 2003.

NBC has confirmed that it has commissioned a new V film.

The three-hour television movie will be called V: The Second Generation and will be directed, written and produced by Kenneth Johnson, the creator of the original programme.

:confused: Why has it taken so long from being commissioned ?
    :confused: Was it made in 2003 ?
    :confused: Are they making it now ?
    :confused: Is it all just talk at the moment ?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,004
    Forum Member
    Update 3/30/07

Kenny has now delivered to Tor Publications the copy-edited draft of the manuscript for his novel of V: The Second Generation.

Advanced Reading Copies will be available soon for reviewers and the media. Hardcover publication will be in October, 2007.

Work continues with Warner Bros to get the mini-series into production and on the air.

Taken from the Official Kenneth Johnson Website:

http://kennethjohnson.us/V-News.html
  • Options
    dave09dave09 Posts: 130
    Forum Member
    Keefy-boy wrote:

Are you talking about the second generation to be made available on dvd or actually made as in filming ???
    I ask this because there already is a second V out and has been for a few years now just wondering if they intend to remake the second one again ???
    It was on scifi channel right after the first series...
  • Options
    Keefy-boyKeefy-boy Posts: 13,613
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dave09 wrote:
    Are you talking about the second generation to be made available on dvd or actually made as in filming ???
    I ask this because there already is a second V out and has been for a few years now just wondering if they intend to remake the second one again ???
    It was on scifi channel right after the first series...
    This will be an all new mini-series, it has not yet been filmed.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    As far as i am aware, there have only been 2 mini-series and 1 TV series. All were shown in the early eighties.

V: The original mini-series (Shown in 2 parts)

V: The Final Battle (shown in 3 parts)

V: The series
    including all the following episodes :
    Liberation Day
    Dreadnaught
    Breakout
    The Deception
    The Sanction
    Visitor's Choice
    The Overlord
    The Dissident
    Reflections In Terror
    The Conversion
    The Hero
    The Betrayal
    The Rescue
    The Champion
    The Wildcats
    The Littlest Dragon
    War of Illusions
    The Secret Underground
    The Return
    The Attack

V: The Second Generation is a brand new series.
    Check out the link in one of the prevoius posts to Kenneth Johnsons web-site. He is the one who created V.

Also take a look here :
    http://thevisitors.info/intro.html
  • Options
    be more pacificbe more pacific Posts: 19,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    IIRC, writer Kenneth Johnson intends to ignore V: The Final Battle* and V: The Series completely. Instead, V: The Second Generation will only acknowledge the original two-part mini series, as these were the only episodes Johnson wrote. This means:

The public unmasking of John (and the Visitors' plot) never happened.
    No hybrid twins.
    No red dust.
    No Ham Tyler.

Johnson will have a bit of a struggle convincing Joe Public that his continuation of the first mini series is more valid than the direct continuation featuring almost all the original cast. He'd be better off starting V from scratch (like Battlestar Galactica) rather than pursue a petty squabble about other artists' work not being 'canonical'.

*In the UK, the two mini-series were shown together with V: The Final Battle becoming parts 3 to 5 of V: The Mini Series.
  • Options
    nadiasantosnadiasantos Posts: 1,110
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    IIRC, writer Kenneth Johnson intends to ignore V: The Final Battle* and V: The Series completely. Instead, V: The Second Generation will only acknowledge the original two-part mini series, as these were the only episodes Johnson wrote. This means:

The public unmasking of John (and the Visitors' plot) never happened.
    No hybrid twins.
    No red dust.
    No Ham Tyler.

Johnson will have a bit of a struggle convincing Joe Public that his continuation of the first mini series is more valid than the direct continuation featuring almost all the original cast. He'd be better off starting V from scratch (like Battlestar Galactica) rather than pursue a petty squabble about other artists' work not being 'canonical'.

*In the UK, the two mini-series were shown together with V: The Final Battle becoming parts 3 to 5 of V: The Mini Series.
    If the Final Battle is ignored then the new series will be nonsense,not least of all because the cast will be over 20 years older.

The new series has been on a stop/start schedule for over a decade so dont hold your breath until its confirmed by Warner.

Summer 1984 ITV cancelled its Olympics coverage due to the major teams withdrawing.
    In order to fill the gap they scheduled V over 5 nights from 9pm concluding after the news.

Did you know the DVD's of the 5 miniseries episodes have some excellent precredits recaps/trailers and episode previews missing that were on the tv broadcasts?
    Not important in itself but they were well put together and were very exciting to watch.

Did you know that the Breakout episode was only shown in the London ITV region?

In the US,they decided the episode was too violent so it was withdrawn from the first airing.
    THis meant that the first meeting between Kyle Bates and the Resistance was refilmed for episode 4.

All ITV regions except London aired The Deception without Breakout,while Thames missed The Deception.

To clarify,you can buy the US set of V The Series and it will play on your R2 dvd player
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I sent for V the series (region 1) from Amazon.
    It took afew weeks to arrive from the US and it DOES play on my DVD.

As others have said, although it is stated as region 1, it will play on our UK players.

If anyone else out there in the UK wants to get it, i would definately send for it.:) :)
  • Options
    TetrameshTetramesh Posts: 2,892
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It has been available for region 2 before now, I hired the complete tv series out from my local video shop last year.
    It was awful.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,037
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Didn't JMS of B5 and Murder, She Photocopied write an unproduced follow-up treatment for the original minis? Am sure you used to be able to pick up copies from various dealers...
  • Options
    ohgorblimeyohgorblimey Posts: 243
    Forum Member
    Tetramesh wrote: »
    It has been available for region 2 before now, I hired the complete tv series out from my local video shop last year.
    It was awful.
    V-The Series has never been available on R2.

Only V- The Original Miniseries (2 parts) and V -The Final Battle (3 parts).

The 19 part 1 hour series made the following year remains unreleased on R2 ,although as stated above the US Region 1 set is actually coded for R2 aswell.
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wow .. I fancied the arse off Jane Badler in the original series!!

Anyway, If the series isn't being acknowledged in the new one, then I can't say that's a bad thing because it was largely awful - in my humble opinion.

Although I guess you probably have to take into account they didn't expect to get picked up for a full series, so had to jump through some hoops plot wise to bring the visitors back..

However, they simply cannot under any circumstances ignore the existence of the legend that is Ham Tyler !!!!
  • Options
    TetrameshTetramesh Posts: 2,892
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    V-The Series has never been available on R2.

Only V- The Original Miniseries (2 parts) and V -The Final Battle (3 parts).

The 19 part 1 hour series made the following year remains unreleased on R2 ,although as stated above the US Region 1 set is actually coded for R2 aswell.

Well all I can say is that I hired it out late last year to play on my region 2 player. The next time I'm in the shop I'll see what it says on the back cover.

This is what the cover looked like so I guess it must be the same one.
  • Options
    Anne CAnne C Posts: 939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have the complete VHS box-set which I watched very recently - very disappointing, hasn't stood the test of time very well at all. Coming to an eBay listing soon...
  • Options
    ohgorblimeyohgorblimey Posts: 243
    Forum Member
    Tetramesh wrote: »
    Well all I can say is that I hired it out late last year to play on my region 2 player. The next time I'm in the shop I'll see what it says on the back cover.

This is what the cover looked like so I guess it must be the same one.

That link is for the correct R1 release.

Even if Blockbuster/Choices had it for rental they were breaking their contract with Warner.

R1 discs are clearly stated that they are not for sale or hire outside the US.
    On top of that they are not certificated for dvd.

Was this an independent rental store?

The series definitely has never been released on r2