computer Help!

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,760
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Hi,

Sorry for what may seem as a silly post, but I have just downloaded a Russian language programme on my computer (it's the Russian version of Msn chat) anyway.....for some reason, as all the icons on the program are written in Cyrilic Russian, my computer can't recognise them and instead of letters, I get weird characters!

Is there any way I can get my computer to recognise these Cyrylic letters? I have Windows XP....

Many thanks

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,363
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    laska wrote: »
    Hi,

Sorry for what may seem as a silly post, but I have just downloaded a Russian language programme on my computer (it's the Russian version of Msn chat) anyway.....for some reason, as all the icons on the program are written in Cyrilic Russian, my computer can't recognise them and instead of letters, I get weird characters!

Is there any way I can get my computer to recognise these Cyrylic letters? I have Windows XP....

Many thanks

Either add the font using "Control panel" then "Fonts" then "File" and "Install new font"

(you'll need a copy of the font)

or try

Go to "control panel" select "regional and language options"

Click on the "languages" tab

Then the "details" button in the "text services and input languages" settings box

Then "add" in installed languages and choose "Russian" as an input language.

You may need your XP disk, and you will have the option of being able to swap between russian and english if you require.

or

follow the link in the previous post which explains in a graphical way what I've just typed.

Hope this solves your problem.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,760
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thank you to everyone! I did what you told me and although I can now switch between fonts, the icons on the programme I've installed are still in weird characters and not proper russian letters? Maybe there's nothing I can do to change that???
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,363
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thank you to everyone! I did what you told me and although I can now switch between fonts, the icons on the programme I've installed are still in weird characters and not proper russian letters? Maybe there's nothing I can do to change that???

You could try uninstalling the program and then re-installing it. It has installed the incorrect font information in the registry the first time. Now you have the correct one available it should pick it when re-installing.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Prontopro wrote: »
    You could try uninstalling the program and then re-installing it. It has installed the incorrect font information in the registry the first time. Now you have the correct one available it should pick it when re-installing.

Okay, I'll try that, thank you for your help! :)
  • NightwolfNightwolf Posts: 125
    Forum Member
    Okay, I'll try that, thank you for your help! :)

Are you female? Russian women are very sexy :)
  • ÐåÑ©ìÑG ÐïVÅ™ÐåÑ©ìÑG ÐïVÅ™ Posts: 5,706
    Forum Member
    Hi,

Many thanks

If you download Russian you will get Russian... why not the UK version...?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nightwolf wrote: »
    Are you female? Russian women are very sexy :)

You should have guessed I was female judging by my cluelessness about computers......lol
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you download Russian you will get Russian... why not the UK version...?

You know what...that's a great idea....I did just that (I didn't know whether there was a UK version, since my friend sent me the russian website link) Thankfully I can still get russian text there and the programm seems to recognise the letters
    Forum Member
    You know what...that's a great idea....I did just that (I didn't know whether there was a UK version, since my friend sent me the russian website link) Thankfully I can still get russian text there and the programm seems to recognise the letters

Good luck English on any software isbetter unless you are Russian and speak that language on an every basis, but i could see you spoke English by your post...

Happy Chatting on MSN UK lol
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good luck English on any software isbetter unless you are Russian and speak that language on an every basis, but i could see you spoke English by your post...

Happy Chatting on MSN UK lol

Lol.....I do speak it on an every day basis with the Russian peeps.....so I'd thought it would make sense to get the Russian version.....I didn't think I'd get weird chraracters and shapes and symbols instead of letters lol. I was too shy to explain the problem to my friends in case they thought I was a brainless numpty who is computer illiterate!
    Forum Member
    Lol.....I do speak it on an every day basis with the Russian peeps.....so I'd thought it would make sense to get the Russian version.....I didn't think I'd get weird chraracters and shapes and symbols instead of letters lol. I was too shy to explain the problem to my friends in case they thought I was a brainless numpty who is computer illiterate!

We learn every day hun...... nee problems.. i just install everything as UK and then i cant go far wrong lol
    Forum Member
    You should have guessed I was female judging by my cluelessness about computers......lol

:D:D:D
  • tvqueen1905tvqueen1905 Posts: 82,843
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :D:D:D

I am very good with computers and i am female
    Forum Member

Why are you aiming this at me? I never even said anything about women being crap with computers. I only said Russian women are beautiful.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Sorry, didn't mean to offend........I guess I'm in the minority who knows nothing about computers....
    Forum Member
    Sorry, didn't mean to offend........I guess I'm in the minority who knows nothing about computers....

I'm sure you know more than you think.
    Forum Member

If you are from London, pass me your number. I'll take you on a date ;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you are from London, pass me your number. I'll take you on a date ;)

Lol...aaaahh...come on now, you know internet safety and all that....
    Besides how do I know you're not an axe murderer or keep severed heads in your fridge? lol